We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Blackstone ’Mind Reading’ Pen... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
This is a throwback to the Koran master gimmick mentioned in a previous post. When he first described it, this is what I thought of.

I got the pen in a kids 1 trick box at Toys R Us. As far as I know, They don’t make them anymore. But it is basically a gimmicked pen that allows you to read anyones thoughts after they have written them down.

A simple routine is like this:

At dinner you say you want to try an experiment in ’thought transference’. you hand someone a pen and ask them to write or draw something simple on a sheet of paper. They do. You then ask them to concentrate on that thought. you have no luck. Maybe its the paper distracting you. Have them tear it up and burn it. You then touch the ashes and get the thought!

This is only one application of this gimmick. As I said its all in the pen. You know the word as soon as they write it down,(which is the ingenious part, you give them the gimmicke pen to write with!) The burning is all by-play to give you time to ditch the pen so they forget about it.

The only reason I bring it up, is that the pen is cheap plastic and big! It could have been made better, but then it was for kids!

I have never seen another gimmick like it since or before. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Chad Smile
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Sounds like a rather devious method there? Can you give any more info? I take it you don't need to touch the paper at all after they write on it?
Confusion808
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
24 Posts

Profile of Confusion808
I think You can get this pen from an English company called Magus Magic. Look under the Koran section. I don't know if it's a well made version however. Has anyone bought this and can tell us?
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
No need to touch the paper afterward. The pen had a built in feature that allowed you to see the writing. I guess I could make one. I just need a fat pen.

Chad
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Thanks Confusion.

BTW, I found their site :
http://www.magus.worldaccess.co.uk/Home.htm

And odd as it may sound, they are located in the small town where I grew up!

Spooky...
Gavin W
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of Gavin W
There's a post about this item, check out the thread below called 'Al Koran Master gimmick'.

After reading that thread i'm not too sure if this is the same item.

Anyone want to comment????
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1234 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I can assure everybody that the mindreading pen and the Al Koran Gimmick are two completely different items. I can't speak for the pen, but I can speak for the Al Koran Master Gimmick... One word? DON'T! It's a good idea, but certainly not original - you'll find it in a number of mentalism books and is basically a hold-out for a CT.
sludge
View Profile
Special user
milton keynes, england
530 Posts

Profile of sludge
Okay, so it's not a Koran master gimmick. Anyone know where I can get this "mind reading pen" ? Pretty please?...
Mr.Magic
View Profile
New user
Germany
76 Posts

Profile of Mr.Magic
This sounds very interesting! I also want to know where I can get this pen!
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Are we talking a "shiner" here?
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Please forgive me with this one but...what happens when that "gimmick" fails ? where will you be? I can do the very same test with a common pencil with the very same routine. See my point ? It's just another toy guys, don't put your reputation in it's hands (so to speak).

~Rick~
pointStack
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of pointStack
Substitute the pen for a good center tear and you will never have to worry about the gimmick breaking or letting you down. The Lee Earl tear is as good as any and has a natural cover for the glimse. Doc Hilford has also published lots of work on when to get the glimse. Of course, the essential part is how you reveal the information and this applies to almost all mentalism effects.
Mr.Magic
View Profile
New user
Germany
76 Posts

Profile of Mr.Magic
But, where can I buy this pen?
art the magic guy!
View Profile
Regular user
back in the USA, FINALLY!!
159 Posts

Profile of art the magic guy!
The effect is strong because the spectator never gave the performer the paper at all. Using a CT or other move like so will negate this effect.

I understand the fact about using a gimmick, but like Chad was saying, the pen does the work, and it's something different.
I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER
I will ALWAYS place the mission first
I will NEVER accept defeat
I will NEVER quit
I will NEVER leave a fallen comrade
----I AM AN AMERICAN SOLDIER----
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
If I remember correctly Bob Solari has a similar version of the pen incorporated in his trick "Incredible"... while the premise is not the same the gimmick is similar to the Blackstone gimmick... Solari's trick runs $10 and you can find it here: http://www.gmrcreations.com/bob/under15.htm (scroll down until you see the name "Incredible")...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Õ¿Õ¬
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
I bought this pen when it was in the reduced price area at a toy store. For a couple of dollars it was a great gimmick and I don't see it as ever failing unless you dropped the pen and stepped on it. I recall seeing a pair of eye glasses that used the same principle.
Mr.Magic
View Profile
New user
Germany
76 Posts

Profile of Mr.Magic
What is the Name of this Pen? And under what name can I search at google?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
...and if you locate one, would sombody please remake this little goodie???
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Someone really should remake this. It has been over 3 years since my original post. Its amazing how things come around again.

Chad
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Quote:
On 2005-02-17 11:54, Chad Sanborn wrote:
It has been over 3 years since my original post.

And yet, in your picture you haven't changed a day! Ha!

Like mrmysticmike, I think I got mine on sale at a toy store. For those who think this item sounds too good to be true, well, it would work, but I don't have the guts to try it. You have to get so close to the person, you might as well be peeking at the paper. I noticed that no one who's responded has stated that they use this prop.

Tate
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Blackstone ’Mind Reading’ Pen... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL