The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question for you computer experts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I bought a new Win 10 gaming computer a bit back and haven't used it all that much, but today I wanted to download a huge 3d modeling program and hit a snag.

The internet connection is slow as molasses in January, and the computer keeps dropping it. We have a new modem/router from Comcast, and this doesn't happen on the other desktop, the laptop, the tablet, or the phone. First it wouldn't connect to the internet at all, then it kept dropping the connection, like the thing has a mind of its own.

So I'm wondering if it's Edge (I tried downloading Chrome, but didn't get anywhere with that), or the comm card, or Win 10 itself. I tried looking online, but obviously wasn't asking the right question or using the right terminology.

Any thoughts?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27242 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What does https://www.speedtest.net/ say about the connection?

Is your windows updated? (ie are there lots of updates downloading now and waiting to download?)

are you connected wifi or a network cable to your router?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'll give speedtest a run next time I'm on that computer, thanks. Assuming it lets me get on there.

The computer didn't say anything about updates, and all our devices are on WiFi. Cable wouldn't work because of the location of the modem and computer.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2833 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Also in your settings, make sure that you do not have your connections metered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question for you computer experts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL