The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A coin index? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bernice
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Bernice
I want to store, on my person, coins with different years on them. The produced coin will match their year of birth. Does such a thing as a coin index exist? Not found one yet.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3510 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
How many coins would you need? If you ask me, to have a variety of years is going to be on the heavy side to carry around. An interesting idea, though I don't think it would be practical.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
The only coin index that I know of is the one that helps you quickly count out change while in your pocket. That one will probably not be of help. I imagine you could make an index with a piece of stiff cardboard and some elastic. Perhaps you make several boards and position them in various pockets?
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Perhaps you can have an index of dates, and a bowl of change. One coin picked at random, and you have predicted the date.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Bernice
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Bernice
Thank you for your suggestions. Yes it sounds wildly impractical and probably is, but I'm foolish enough to test it out. The participants would occupy a narrow range of DOBs (I hope!). 20 years perhaps. So the stiff cardboard idea sounds suitable.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 6, 2022, Bernice wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions. Yes it sounds wildly impractical and probably is, but I'm foolish enough to test it out. The participants would occupy a narrow range of DOBs (I hope!). 20 years perhaps. So the stiff cardboard idea sounds suitable.

As I picture it, you could even make the index 2-sided, with coins on each side. Maybe odd-numbered years on one side, even on the other?
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
How fast do you need to access the coin, and what kind reset are you OK with? Because one "simple" option would be to get a stack of magnetic quarters (not cheap) of each year and keep them in order in the stack.
Reach in your pocket, count off the relevant number of years, and there you go.

Pricey, and slightly annoying to reset, but it would take the least amount of pocket space.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ask Tony Miller - he likes indices Smile

DIY - think about the Deal Dill trick with the notebook and an envelope
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mitchael
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mitchael
Of course speed is important, however, depending on routining, covertly obtaining the spectators year of birth may not necessarily require speed. Accessing the index need only be natural, the spectator doesn't know where you are going with the effect. Example, 1st obtain the spectators date of birth covertly. ask to borrow a quarter. Talk about the quaters, try to get some sort of reading based on the quarter, Reveal that sometimes a borrowed quarter doesn't reveal anything... then act startled... wait a scond.... what year were you born? Tada....
Inlakesh
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Inlakesh
I have been seeking this exact same thing. For 100 coins. Looks like I will need to have it fabricated sadly.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Coin shops already have your index for you. They sell those cardboard coin displays. Like the March of Dimes. Where id just holds the bottom edge of the coin.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Maybe a force of the spectator's date would be easier. I've been playing with which state quarter corresponds to 1-52 which led to a deck of playing cards has 52. Etc. I ended up going to a cloth bag with 2 compartments.

Another idea was in a briefcase for platform.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Sorry. Index in the briefcase.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » A coin index? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL