The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fancy Finger Guillotine!! - Help, Have you seen it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
92 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
Hi all,
I have found a real neat finger guillotine in a used shop near me and am thinking of purchaseing it but am unsure as the price is close to $200.00 Can.
Have you seen it? It is about a foot and a half tall, made all out of wood and looks like a real guillotine model with a visible metal blade dangling by a rope and everything!(like a real french head chopper!) . This does look like an antique with dark stained wood. The owner refused to bring it down so I could get a closer look at it as he was busy at the time.
Has anyone seen anything like this before? What do you think about it? it looks nothing like the finger choppers of today (it does not even look like our stage guillotines!) It is not a pocket trick, too big- I'd say parlour as it is a bit small for stage. does anyone know of a possible manufacturer? is it worth $200.00 Can. ($125 U.S.)
I am interested in this item and any help would be appriciated.
Magic Mike
(I was guaranteed it was in working order) Smile
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I purchased this trick from The Trickery

It is a very simple operation and a quick eye can figure it out and build one, hence, not allowing you to see it. The victim can see the way it works, however, even though it is small, it can play big with the proper patter such as the ones in "Chopper Capers" booklet.

It's nice and can be uses as a close-up illusion. Instead of a large prop like the head guillotine or head chopper, one brings the routine down to the finger level, yet maintains the power of the stage illusion. Great comedy can be worked into it such a s jar of fake fingers in green liquid. The failures, are here in the jar, "Pickled Fingers."

I believe the design was by Haynes. As for the price, well, that's a personal issue. $125.00 is a lot of money for many. If you do close up and small parties, it is ideal. If you go the route of the hand chopper, it serves the small parties and the stage quite well, but that does cost a little more.
Dennis Michael
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I would get a Hades finger chopper instead. Plays the same but is far more portable and examinable, if your into that sort of thing.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
NO,
DON'T PAY THAT FOR IT,
I can get you it for around $50!
PM me,
It is a shop in UK, but I will ship it too you,
Take care,
Kevin. Smile
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
How much better is that $125 model to the wooden finger chopper that is $50 (Impossible Penetration) and can be carried in a pocket and examined at the end? The $125 unit might play better in a parlor situation if it is bigger, but if it is easy to figure out, and the volunteer figures it out—I'm not sure I'd want to pay that much for something with those issues. What are the advantages of it over Impossible Penetration?

By the way, Abbott's LaPaloma is a "dove chopper" of very good quality which I have continued to use many years after the last time I've had doves in my act. La Paloma, with only the slightest performance adjustments, becomes a hand chopper that is quite mysterious in terms of method, and not similar to the little finger choppers found in kids' magic sets and novelty stores. La Paloma is only about one foot tall by one foot wide by two inches thick—great for parlor work. I got it years ago, but I'm sure it is still cheaper than that $125 chopper. I also use Abbott's Disecto, but that takes up more space than La Paloma. Look for La Paloma in the "Livestock" section of the Abbott's catalog. It is not natural wood finish, but highly lacquered wood.

When performing, the spectator may notice something about the blade from the back that is not detectable when it is handed out for examination. I don't even let the spectator watch from the back. They stand slightly to the side and before I set the prop in a way that something may be seen, I say "I think I would feel more comfortable if you looked that way," pointing over to the side. This gets a big laugh because they think you are saying this to avoid the volunteer from seeing the ensuing blood and gore—they have no idea that it is practical for you.
madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
92 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
Hi all Smile
Thanks for the tips and suggestions! By the way Kev, $50.00 in U.k. funds is about $150 Canadian (or did you mean $50 U.S.?) At any rate, I finally got the guy to actually show me the chopper (I had to have the money in my hand though!) And I decided not to buy it after I saw how it worked (is that wrong?) Smile

It was a handmade chopper that I admit looked beautiful, as I have said before. However, it worked with the banging plate method (m****t) and of course because of that, in my opinion it would be more of a collectable than a working prop. It cost way too much to justify puchasing if all I was going to do with it was sit it on a shelf.

On a brighter note, though, this past weekend at a yard sale just out of town I got a deceptive square circle and a large stained wood silk production chest for $10.00 (the guy had no idea what they where! (that is until after I bought them LOL!)

Magic Mike
aka
The amazing Corbin! Smile
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"
korbin27
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of korbin27
On the topic of finger choppers, I was looking at a few on the internet. I do a Dark Magic walkaround Vampire show. I am wondering if anyone has seen a choper with a falling finger. I am attempting to build one, but would like to buy one, as my skills are still in the learning stages of trick invention.

Smile Smile
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Let me put in a good word for the Hades finger chopper. It plays well because it is examinable. When you first receive it the instructions tell you to look for the secret. I looked, and couldn't find it. It is great for close-up, maybe parlor settings.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Darrin,

I don't know which is the "Hades" finger chopper (I'm familiar with a couple types of finger and hand choppers). Is that the same as Impossible Penetration? It too, is examinable.

Dave
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Dave, The Hades finger chopper is made by Mickey Hades. This has a plain wood finish and sells for about 65$.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

Darrin,

The trick called "Impossible Penetration" is also a plain wood finish for about that same price. I'm just wondering if it is the same trick.

Dave
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
283 Posts

I just did a search on a few sites and discovered the answer to my question. The Hades Finger Chopper is not the same as Impossible Penetration. Same effect, very different methods and props.
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Here you can see 5 different finger chopper options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DG4t-ANgGA
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 14:46, magic patagonia wrote:

I collect Finger Choppers and have all of them in the video except for the Pinky. That's kinda neat. I need one of those.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The first of five was the HADES
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-15 01:32, Eldon wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-07-14 14:46, magic patagonia wrote:

I collect Finger Choppers and have all of them in the video except for the Pinky. That's kinda neat. I need one of those.

The "pinky" is from a party magic set from Tara Toy company....not sure if it's still available or where you can find it.....I discover mine exploring a vintage magic lot that I bought some time ago.

In this link at the bottom right you can see the party toy set:

http://www.taratoy.com/party.cfm
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I, too, have the Hades. I recommend it highly. I've never had anyone figure it out. Everything can be handed out before and after the effect with nothing added or taken away. You can do all of the byplay as with a head or wrist chopper.

I used to have a French Arm Chopper, the one that shows the hand falling into the bag. The disadvantage of it is that the spec who helps is going to see how it is done unless you blindfold them, it cannot be done close up, and it just doesn't look very deceptive to me. I would think that a finger chopper that has this effect would suffer from the same disadvantages.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Patagonia,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try and find one.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22165 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That finger gag is 40 years old, they use to sell a cheap joke item, cut off finger with the blood ends. All the guys thought it was great with the Finger Chopper. In the video he does it wrong, but for the video it works. It is supposed to be presented as a magic trick, so a little misdirection is used. Plays strong. I don't think the fingers are available any longer.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-07-16 09:50, Bill Hegbli wrote:
That finger gag is 40 years old, they use to sell a cheap joke item, cut off finger with the blood ends. All the guys thought it was great with the Finger Chopper. In the video he does it wrong, but for the video it works. It is supposed to be presented as a magic trick, so a little misdirection is used. Plays strong. I don't think the fingers are available any longer.

Do you know the name of the vintage gag?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fancy Finger Guillotine!! - Help, Have you seen it? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL