The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The power of awe! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Interesting article on the benefits of experiencing awe…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/......-health/
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Thanks for referring us to that interesting article.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
581 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Great article. I know when I see something that really blows my mind, I get a hit of euphoria for a while. Andrew Goldenhersh and Paul Vigil recently. Also Jeki Yoo.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Good read! Too bad many magicians are drifting away from producing awe to 'gotcha', mystery, or skill demonstrations (opinion).
Yet, I ponder on whether youth raised mainly on vicarious video/tv are capable of much 'awe&wonder'?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I still think so because I think experiencing awe is (hopefully) hard wired in all of us. The challenge is to find ways to bring it out in our audience.

Reading the article reminded me of a few times I felt awe watching magic and mentalist.

Long (long!) ago, I remember, as a kid, seeing Doug Henning at the Ford Theater in Detroit. That was definitely an “awe moment”. Seeing David Cooperfield too. More recently, it’s been Derren Brown and Derrick Delgado.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1406 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Funsway, totally agree with your observation of most current "tricksters", and they are not magician's.

However, awe is a universal human emotion that will never go away.
Magician's and mentalist should strive for this result.

Mentalist have a built in advantage.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
If a routine ends in applause, it's a trick. If it ends in silence, then you have achieved awe.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Sep 17, 2022, Jerry wrote:
However, awe is a universal human emotion that will never go away.
Magician's and mentalist should strive for this result.

my read on new discoveries about the role of the orbital cortex is that conditioning can route experiences
away from cognitive levels where "awe&wonder " has a chance. Those expecting everything to be a trick based one Internet
photoshopping, false headlines, deceptive marketing and political lies can result in the observer simply accepting a conditioned response (superstition)
over any dilemma over astonishment or even mystery. Few today are prepared for live magic or mentalism and may reject observations as "never happened."

This is one reason I will never use an electronic device for mentalism or conjuring. I strive for an authentic experience
and hope to condition the observer's auto-response to "a'wonder" as the first response - with no desire to "figure it out."

Of course, I am not trying to make a living off of "entertain me" driven audiences often addicted to entertainment itself.
If I were, I would have balloon-tying as a backup skill.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Inlakesh
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Inlakesh
Have you ever mystified a spectator? I think it is a level higher then awe. But now semantics are getting in the way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The power of awe! (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL