We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flight of Fancy by David Regal (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicnorm
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Instead of psycho analyzing the audience reaction in a video, how about evaluating if the trick- effect is effective or interesting enough to perform, tell me we’re not motivated to purchase an effect based on a demo video, that for all intense and purpose is to show case the routine itself. To say it bluntly “. Who gives a cr—p how a video audience reacts, what matters is if you yes you think enough of the effect to perform it. Don’t mean to sound harsh but if your criteria for adding a routine to your repertoire is based on a videon audience reaction, rethink what your doing, just my thoughts. No offense intended.

Nm
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
I mentioned in my first post that I think the trick is nothing new or special. 6.5/10.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5819 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2022, Xcath1 wrote:
This is a good conversation to have actually. Not specifically for David’s trick but in general how we think spectators are responding or how magicians selling tricks say they are responding vs what it’s really like. Honestly I have seen numerous tricks on Penguin (where I buy all my magic so no complaints from me) where the creator says your can see from the reactions how great this trick is and sometime I think it’s a fairly average trick and the on camera audience seems to agree with me. Now every trick doesn’t and probably shouldn’t get screams or curses but it’s not crazy to watch these trailers a little closer. As far as this trick goes, I don’t think it’s a knockout and these 2 deck tricks are quite time consuming and require the right “pipe and slippers” atmosphere and audience to play well. A trick like this is great for friends, family and formal close up shows for those that have the opportunity to do them. If you are a professionally strolling magician it is rare to have the time, audience attention or table space to perform tricks like this. I am in general a big David Regal fan and appreciate the clever concepts at work here.

Totally agree with you Gaz Smile
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1491 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2022, Xcath1 wrote:
This is a good conversation to have actually. Not specifically for David’s trick but in general how we think spectators are responding or how magicians selling tricks say they are responding vs what it’s really like. Honestly I have seen numerous tricks on Penguin (where I buy all my magic so no complaints from me) where the creator says your can see from the reactions how great this trick is and sometime I think it’s a fairly average trick and the on camera audience seems to agree with me. Now every trick doesn’t and probably shouldn’t get screams or curses but it’s not crazy to watch these trailers a little closer. As far as this trick goes, I don’t think it’s a knockout and these 2 deck tricks are quite time consuming and require the right “pipe and slippers” atmosphere and audience to play well. A trick like this is great for friends, family and formal close up shows for those that have the opportunity to do them. If you are a professionally strolling magician it is rare to have the time, audience attention or table space to perform tricks like this. I am in general a big David Regal fan and appreciate the clever concepts at work here.

Well stated and I agree! Although in some circumstances a strolling performer can gather a group at a table or have a bar/counter within the stroller area for people to gather at. Good magicians do well at adapting and settin up the environment for this type of effect is reasonable. We also know that there are many many tricks that are not considered knockouts but with creativity, well written patter and personality a dud can be fashioned in to a bomb.
For me I would am more interested in entertaining with two Invisible Decks than spend $50 on this effect.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6008 Posts

Profile of videoman
I could definitely see this working very well in a trade show environment, and with a little imagination could be scripted to represent the company/product you are pitching.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2874 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I really don't see how the reactions in the video are all that uncommon. An L&L audience isn't a real-world audience, so kudos to David/Penguin for just showing it the way it actually plays. There's far too much unrealistic hype in trailers. I'll take a full, uncut performance for real people any day over screams and bleeped out exclamations.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5819 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I don’t either Andrew, I am happy with those reactions when I perform Gaz Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2685 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I agree that the reactions in the video are quite common. However… ideally, at least on occasion you get reactions that are closer to laughter, that is genuine spontaneous emotion. That is the difference between someone laughing at a joke and someone saying ‘that was funny.” I watched many L and L videos and many appear stooged however, go watch Bill Malone, or Tommy Wonder and you see genuine emotion peeking out (at least I did).
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
153 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Quote:
On Sep 23, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I really don't see how the reactions in the video are all that uncommon. An L&L audience isn't a real-world audience, so kudos to David/Penguin for just showing it the way it actually plays. There's far too much unrealistic hype in trailers. I'll take a full, uncut performance for real people any day over screams and bleeped out exclamations.

I agree with you, I will always take a realistic, uncut performance over a flashy trailer. But I guarantee if you watch the video again and only focus on the three women to the left, you’ll see what we are talking about. They were plain rude.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
294 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Still don't understand: how the hell is this 49 dollars? It's outrageous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flight of Fancy by David Regal (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL