The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Hoff by Josh Burch (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
192 Posts

Profile of eddie1
The Hoff is a hands-off miracle where the aces not only divine the card selected by the spectator, but you also get a killer transposition that requires no moves. Josh Burch is back with a killer approach to Hofzinser’s Ace Problem that your audiences will love. This is The Hoff by Josh Burch.

Here’s what happens:

The four aces are produced and then placed off to the side. A spectator takes the deck under the table and cuts the deck to select a card. With a wave of the hand, one of the aces mysteriously turns face down. When the selected card is revealed, it is discovered that the suit of the selected card matches the ace that has turned face down. The deck is placed back on the table, and after a magical gesture, the deck is spread on the table to reveal that a card has turned face up in the middle of the deck. Impossibly the face-up card in the middle of the deck is the ace that was face down, and when the face-down card between the other aces is turned over, it is discovered to be the selected card.
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
192 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Is any other dealer going to be listing this? Not sure I want to wait 2-6 weeks for Penguin’s international shipping.
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
903 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Here's the performance video link for The Hoff by Josh Burch

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, eddie1 wrote:
Is any other dealer going to be listing this? Not sure I want to wait 2-6 weeks for Penguin’s international shipping.


It's already available at several other shops including Misdirections. Not sure about European shops at the moment.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Hey everyone!

I'm super stoked for this release. It has been a little bit of a holy grail for me and I'm really happy with how it has turned out. It currently closes my close-up show!

We went with an uncut, no-frills performance here so you can see exactly what you're getting without any funny business.

I'd love to answer any questions anyone might have.
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
192 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Appreciate the uncut performance. I like the look of this. Nice plot. Can any fellow UK members let me know how long Penguin’s free shipping usually takes to the UK? Is it closer to the 2 or 6 week mark?
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
It looks like there is a shop in France that is carrying the effect:
https://www.magicdream.fr/the-hoff-josh-burch.html
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
I lectured yesterday for a magician's club at a local university. When I did the Hoff, there was a gasp from the group of magicians. It surprised me a little.

The ending is just super surprising for virtually any audience. I'm used to lay-people not seeing anything coming but I was surprised that it worked so well on fellow magicians. With very little effort it will fool just about anyone.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10261 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Josh Burch wrote:
It looks like there is a shop in France that is carrying the effect:
https://www.magicdream.fr/the-hoff-josh-burch.html


Not at that price.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, Josh Burch wrote:
It looks like there is a shop in France that is carrying the effect:
https://www.magicdream.fr/the-hoff-josh-burch.html


Not at that price.


It's still new. I'm sure some other shops will pick it up in the near future. It's $19.95 (USD) with free shipping worldwide if ordered directly from Penguin.

In addition to the Hoff, my handling of the Hofzinser's Ace Problem, you also receive a great bonus routine where a thought of card turns blank. We had plans to release this alone a few years ago for $19.95 but the pandemic delayed production. Instead of releasing it as a separate product, I decided to throw it into this project as a bonus.

To give some more detail in the bonus routine the deck is cut and the spectator thinks of one of the cards near the cut. They then shuffle the cards. Cards are eliminated slowly until one remains. The magician names the spectator's selected card and turns it over to reveal that their card has turned blank.

Both are great routines in my humble opinion.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10261 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I’ll probably pick it up if it’s available ever in the U.K.
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
192 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Quote:
On Oct 6, 2022, pegasus wrote:
I’ll probably pick it up if it’s available ever in the U.K.

Seconded.
Josh Burch
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Josh Burch
I went ahead and spoke to Magicbox and it looks like they will be carrying it at some point in the future.

I also was sent a live performance of the effect from the video team at Penguin. We filmed this a while back, the presentation I currently use is what you see on the product page but here you can see how the interaction goes with the spectator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQnDToqUP0s
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1334 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Nice effect but really suffers from the approach nowadays of selling these things individually when they’re better value as one of a number of effects in a book.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, Ray Chelt wrote:
Nice effect but really suffers from the approach nowadays of selling these things individually when they’re better value as one of a number of effects in a book.



You'll need more than the explanation. You'll need the gimmick cards in order to perform it
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1334 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, Ray Chelt wrote:
Nice effect but really suffers from the approach nowadays of selling these things individually when they’re better value as one of a number of effects in a book.



You'll need more than the explanation. You'll need the gimmick cards in order to perform it


True enough. Though those of us around for a while have a pretty big stock of gaffed cards. And I haven’t seen anything in the trailer to suggest anything out of the usual.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, Ray Chelt wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 12, 2022, Ray Chelt wrote:
Nice effect but really suffers from the approach nowadays of selling these things individually when they’re better value as one of a number of effects in a book.



You'll need more than the explanation. You'll need the gimmick cards in order to perform it


True enough. Though those of us around for a while have a pretty big stock of gaffed cards. And I haven’t seen anything in the trailer to suggest anything out of the usual.



There is one gimmicked card that you will not have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Hoff by Josh Burch (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL