The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The #&%ING principle by Danny Goldsmith (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Anybody own this or have any thoughts on it?

https://www.dannygoldsmithmagic.com/bleeping-101-j
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I just saw his announcement on this and the trailer/teaser on it and am totally floored by it so following here.

My biggest question is, I'm fine putting in work to master an effect, but does this take mad skills as a prerequisite or can it be accomplished by a good coin worker? I have to believe there is some nontrivial work here, and I'm glad if it is not a "perform it in an hour" thing, but wanna be sure I don't have take 5 years before I can even consider performing it for my magic colleagues...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
I am willing to bet that it's not something that takes years of practice so much as something that is a bit knacky. Probably the big thing is building up the confidence to perform it live.
jb13
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of jb13
…..or the angles involved.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, daver wrote:
My biggest question is, I'm fine putting in work to master an effect, but does this take mad skills as a prerequisite or can it be accomplished by a good coin worker?

I believe the coin is hopping to his wrist and back so then if the video has good instruction and that looks like a sleight you might like to practice then go for it. Know that there will be severe limitation with the angles.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2709 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Yeah, this seems like smth only suitable for when you have a small audience seated right in front of you for or a one on one performance. Beautiful to watch though, it’s like ballet with the hands. And very impressive for laymen, I would imagine.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I've watched this. As others have pointed out, he's not the first to do it, but as with all of Danny's work, it has details and advice that are really top notch.

CardGuyMike is correct in that it's more knacky than difficult. It will take some practice and finesse to get the feeling and start doing consistently, but if you spend some time working at it, it likely won't take years. (Is there anything you've found that takes years of practice?)

Danny also spends some time talking about angles. Sure, they're not 180 degrees, but it's better than you'd think at first, - you can absolutely do more than one on one. As with everything, practicing to a mirror/camera and having a strong understanding of what works and doesn't can allow some pretty free feeling displays.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2709 Posts

Thanks for the info. That’s good to know.
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I thought of the wrist hopping as well, similar to John Born's backpalm work. But in the trailer, that thought was dismissed quickly when he had the coin in his right hand, vanished it and immediately turned over his entire right forearm to show the hand empty, unless he l$%ped it which would have been way ballsy (okay for a trailer, but for a live audience?) and then in the second part, with the "toss in the air" there was no way he coulda reloaded the coin.

I'm not fishing for the method, but seems way too good to be true. I know I'm better than average with coins, but wondering if I'm just burning $15 with something I'll never be able to realistically do.

Quote:
On Oct 1, 2022, EZrhythm wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2022, daver wrote:
My biggest question is, I'm fine putting in work to master an effect, but does this take mad skills as a prerequisite or can it be accomplished by a good coin worker?

I believe the coin is hopping to his wrist and back so then if the video has good instruction and that looks like a sleight you might like to practice then go for it. Know that there will be severe limitation with the angles.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Quote:
On Oct 4, 2022, daver wrote:
I know I'm better than average with coins, but wondering if I'm just burning $15 with something I'll never be able to realistically do.

Email Danny at info@dannygoldsmithmagic.com. I have found him to be very responsive, helpful and honest. And I seriously doubt that he would mass-market something that someone with better than average coin skills couldn't pick up with some work.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

This isn't l$%ping, though he's talked about that kind of thing in the past - and it's totally possible to do for a live audience.
He might mention that in passing for one of the routines, but I don't know which one you're talking about, and that isn't the primary thing that's taught here.

It's not "too good to be true", and it won't take years of practice. But it is a little knacky, and it will require care and consideration of your angles - which are reasonable, but definitely not 180.

Whether that's "realistic" depends on you and your performing style/groups. I'd 100% believe that Danny does this regularly.

I'll also second CardGuyMike about emailing for more info - I've likewise had good communication from him.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
790 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
A friend just demonstrated this to me after a few days of dedicated practice. I was impressed enough to buy it (plus Danny's one of the good guys and I like supporting him). tonsofquestions is exactly right -- it's not hard, just knacky. But not the sort of knacky that some people will just never be able to get. I believe anyone with the basic coordination to do coin magic can do this. However, the bit where he turns over his entire forearm obviously cannot be done without a ditch -- which he teaches.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2709 Posts

Thanks for sharing that!
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
2709 Posts

I’m not that much of a coin guy. So far Luis Piedrahita was the coinman that would really connect with me. Both because of his presentation and his technique. But I have to say Danny seems like a great guy too. And his technique is awesome.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Thanks @cardguymike - exactly what I was looking to understand. Gonna get this and get started on it asap.
Dave

tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Not that I begrudge any contributer their appreciation (each one comes with its own nuance), but why does CardGuyMike get specifically called out here when he's echoing things that others have already said? You didn't seem to believe the first time, but now you do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The #&%ING principle by Danny Goldsmith (9 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL