We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What shows do you think bring the best hats? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Spray can art is way cool, but not busking, you are selling art. but it does draw a crowd.
Charle was one of a kind, and could rake in the cash.
Yes the turtle racing is just that, it's great, but lugging live animals, makes juggling look light.
My point was that juggling is the easiest to make big show, but not the only way. And yes, I lug a lot of stuff.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
You are right, it is not, there are other ways.
I hear that a Strip Tease shows can do big bucks.
Does that count for busking I wounder!
(Its a Joke} but I do wounder!
Mario
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Not if I was doing it! Thay would pay me to put it back on!
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5427 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I know a juggler that builds his audience by painting with the cans. He starts the painting, people gather and he talks about how he's going to juggle those torches on that tall thing...10 ft uni....and then at the end of his he's going to pass his hat and the person who gives him the biggest tip is going to get the painting. It's brillant. People end up bidding on the thing and his hats are monsters!!!!

Now that's busking!
koz
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Quote:
On 2004-07-09 13:55, JamesinLA wrote:

Last winter I was back east and weht up to New York and walked through Washington Square Park. It was cold as a witch's t*t, but it was great seeing the layout of the place. The arch is really huge. The "fountain" where Charlie Barnet played, the statue where the turtle races were held, etc.

Jim

Does anyone know where Charlie Barnet is now?

I saw him in the early eighties and he was an absolute genius at getting big crowds. I'm not sure how old he would be now but I take it he isn't performing in Washington Square Park anymore.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Charlie passed away in the mid 90's from AIDS.

Hew was a fighter and a showman till the end.

Hi prodigy Dave Chapelle would walk him down to Washington Square park while he was very sick and wearing an oxygen mask. Charlie would still do a show and give the people his best last hour of the day. According to reports from those shows, even dying he was still hysterically funny.

I guess that is the difference between something you do, and something you are.

I have also heard that Dave Chapelle is going to make a movie of Charlie's life and has several scripts. They will be hard pressed to find someone that could fill his shoes.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Thanks Danny. What a sad story. He was truly amazing. No props, no gimmicks, just raw energy, guts and talent. I will never forget the times I saw his show. You are right; Charlie didn't play a character, he lived it.

A movie about his life would be great. I didn't know that Chappelle was his protege but it makes sense. Maybe he will play Charlie in the movie?
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
What sort of act did Charlie Barnet do?
Bill Scarlett
View Profile
Veteran user
Vermont
366 Posts

Profile of Bill Scarlett
Hard to describe but basically a street stand-up comedy routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What shows do you think bring the best hats? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL