The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Making playing card boxes (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

timph
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of timph
Hi

What's the best method for scanning and re-printing a card box? I have a high-quality laser printer but am keen to know what the best card stock and the best sticker stock (glossy/matt etc.) for reproducing convincing Bike facsimiles.

What is the best glue or is double sided tape better? I was either going to use a glue stick or tape but is it worth buying Elmer's Rubber Cement (quite expensive here in the UK and not easy to find).

Also, if I want to make expanded shells etc., is it best to increase the size when scanning (say to 103%) or increase the size when I print off, or doesn't it matter much?

TIA

Tim
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
725 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I have done a little in this area but I never had good success.

I attempted to use full sheet label paper to do the printing and then attempted to put them on blank card boxes. Now it may have been possible to figure a way to get it all to work, but I gave up early since the colors produced by my printer (HP ink jet) never looked anything like the colors used by USPCC. Maybe your laser printer will work better but I suspect printers geared towards photos may offer the best color palette.

Attaching the printing to the box is not simple. I tried printing one big image which would wrap around everything but the tongue of the flap. As it was very sticky, it was difficult to get it right.

I would suggest printing on plaine paper. (glossy might be preferred) Then wrap it around the box with no adhesive to get the folds/corners set. Repositionable adhesives may help but I don't know how they will work in the long run.

I also considered using the full sheet label paper and printing each face of the box separately rather than in one big piece. It wsould be a lot easier to attach them to the box and maybe the gaps at the edges wouldn't be too bad. I never did it because of the color problem.

Those are just a few ideas I have on this.
timph
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of timph
Thanks Del.

Did you scan the box or manage to find a high quality printable file? I haven't had any luck with that.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
725 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I think I cut one open and scanned it.
timph
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of timph
***Update***

I got some empty boxes from eBay. Not sure of the origin but they look very authentic and come flat packed so it's only a matter of a single cut and a bit of careful trimming to open them up completely and make the edges neat. I scanned them on my behemoth multi-function laser at 600 dpi in jpg format, and the quality of the images is very good. I then experimented with printing them out on regular copier paper and thicker card (250 gsm) both of which looked really good. You can tell a slight difference, which I think is mainly the paper stock, if you put them side by side with the original, but I'm confident a spec would never notice in a live situation. I'm going to get some glossy and matt labels (A4 sheets) to try too. By increasing the size of the image by 1-5% using simple software (e.g. Paint 3D) it will be easy to make various slightly larger sizes that are close to the original.

I thought this was going to be much more tricky and am pleased with the results achieved so far.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
725 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Thanks for the update. Having good matching printouts puts you in good shape. Let us know how it goes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Making playing card boxes (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL