The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango C/S coin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Does anyone here have a Tango copper/ silver coin ?
If so could you post a picture of the coins side edge so that I can see what the quality is like compared with the ones Johnson magic used to supply.

Thanks in advance
Warren
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
More than just the edge, if you want to compare to Johnson you need to hear it dropped on a hard surface... The old Johnson ones didn't sound "dead".
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
No C/S coin is going to look good edge on. The only one that's moderately passable is the Copeland one, but that's very pricey, and even then it's still best at a slight angle.

But in the end that's the view you're trying to _avoid_ when using a C/S, so I wouldn't focus too hard on what it's like. I second inigmntoya that the sound is also an important feature, and that's one area that Johnson often ... sparkles ... over some of the other manufacturers.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Johnson also at times does custom orders but it’s rare . I would go with Johnson for an affordable and quality c/s coin for sure .
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2022, TWOCAN wrote:
Johnson also at times does custom orders but it’s rare . I would go with Johnson for an affordable and quality c/s coin for sure .

You might be out of the loop. Johnson has ceased production of coin gaffs.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
880 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2022, Ray J wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2022, TWOCAN wrote:

You might be out of the loop. Johnson has ceased production of coin gaffs.

Oh I thought they were just busy making respirators for a while then back to coins . Oh well tango
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
No C/S coin is going to look good edge on. The only one that's moderately passable is the Copeland one, but that's very pricey, and even then it's still best at a slight angle.

But in the end that's the view you're trying to _avoid_ when using a C/S, so I wouldn't focus too hard on what it's like. I second inigmntoya that the sound is also an important feature, and that's one area that Johnson often ... sparkles ... over some of the other manufacturers.

I disagree as the c/s coin I lost was a basic johnsons one and it was virtually perfect even when looking at the edge as the kennedy half had a copper alloy tint to it and it showed a tails side which was a nice bonus.

As regards to the ssound a coin makes when it's dropped I don't intend on dropping it intentionally ha ha
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

I said nothing about dropping the coin. I said that it made a sound that was better. You can also make sounds by clinking coins together, or flipping them into the air.

I'd have to go digging for a Johnson coin - I'm not even sure if I know anymore which are which - but I've never seen a C/S that was anywhere close to perfect on the edge ... and that includes Johnson. I'd believe that you had a particularly good one, but I'd definitely be surprised if all were that way.So I'd very much like to see a photo of that, if you still have one. Sure, maybe if it's a _clad_ Kennedy half you could end up with a little bit of a copper tint, but that's still somewhat discrepant for a half dollar, and doesn't help at all for silver coins, or if the copper starts to darken.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
I said nothing about dropping the coin. I said that it made a sound that was better. You can also make sounds by clinking coins together, or flipping them into the air.

I'd have to go digging for a Johnson coin - I'm not even sure if I know anymore which are which - but I've never seen a C/S that was anywhere close to perfect on the edge ... and that includes Johnson. I'd believe that you had a particularly good one, but I'd definitely be surprised if all were that way.So I'd very much like to see a photo of that, if you still have one. Sure, maybe if it's a _clad_ Kennedy half you could end up with a little bit of a copper tint, but that's still somewhat discrepant for a half dollar, and doesn't help at all for silver coins, or if the copper starts to darken.

Oops I must have misunderstood what you meant regards the sound the coin makes.....Unfortunately I lost my johnsons one about a week ago that's why I was asking about the Tango version, it probably was a clad which was fine for me as I'm from the UK.
I purchased one off Ron Davis who was recommended for practice purposes but the copper side overlaps the silver coin a little so its basically bad from all angles but ok to practice with as long as I don't use a spectator.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
TWOCAN makes some beautiful C/S coins.
https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
TWOCAN makes some beautiful C/S coins.
https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Do you have one of his C/S coins and if so is it possible to see a picture of the coins edge as the website only shows the coins face on ?

Thanks
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
What exactly are you looking for?
Most c/s coins have a visible split on the edge... Anything different will be "off" and for showing one side of the coin vs the other... E. G. A full silver edge when showing the copper side.

The Copeland coins have this issue too - having a dark/copper edge when the silver side is face up. They're nice and I have some but the issue is still there.

The only time a one color edge makes sense is for something like the insert to a CSB when only one side is usually seen face up (e.g. The edge is rarely seen/shown when silver side up as its nested in the shell).

Quote:
On Nov 13, 2022, warren wrote:

Do you have one of his C/S coins and if so is it possible to see a picture of the coins edge as the website only shows the coins face on ?

Thanks
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
[quote]On Nov 13, 2022, inigmntoya wrote:
What exactly are you looking for?
Most c/s coins have a visible split on the edge... Anything different will be "off" and for showing one side of the coin vs the other... E. G. A full silver edge when showing the copper side.

The Copeland coins have this issue too - having a dark/copper edge when the silver side is face up. They're nice and I have some but the issue is still there. [quote]
The only time a one color edge makes sense is for something like the insert to a CSB when only one side is usually seen face up (e.g. The edge is rarely seen/shown when silver side up as its nested in the shell).

As said my last C/S coin was very good even from edge on especially compared to others that I have seen so I would like if possible to see some C/S coins that others have from an edge on view to see if I can get something close to being as good as my last one.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

This is clearly a point of confusion, so it would really help if you could be more specific as to your need/expectation.
In what way "was it really good" edge-on? What did it look like? Presumably entirely copper or entirely silver. If it was any kind of blend (even without a sharp line) then it would still be confusing and discrepant, since no coins are a blend of both. Even clad Kennedy halves - which have some of both colors are fairly specific-looking, and that doesn't match what an English Penny should look like, so the edge is still "wrong" for that.

As we've said: it doesn't really make much sense to be showing the edge much, since it won't match one of the coins at best. I'll again point out that the Copeland coins are some of the best here - I'm not sure I agree with inigmntoya's assessment. Tarnished copper can look like silver patina, so it more easily matches both - at least in my opinion. But it's still not perfect from all angles - particularly completely edge-on.

And for reference, all of TwoCan's coins that I've seen pictures of have a pretty crisp edge.
If Johnson's is the design that made you most happy, perhaps you should just find a replacement by them? They're not making new ones, but I'm sure a large number still exist and could be obtained asking around in the F/S forum.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Tonsofquestions, I have one somewhere ( my autistic granddaughter and her 4 year old sister) got into my things, so at this time, I am not sure where they hid some of my coins.
To be honest, I never paid any attention to the edge of the coin. The main focus has always been on the copper face or the silver side in the different things I have used it for.
TWOCAN is a very personable gentleman, perhaps contact him with your concern and questions regarding the edge.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

One ... of TWOCAN's, or one of Johnson's?

But agree (as said before) that the focus should be the face and not the edge.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Both
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
This is clearly a point of confusion, so it would really help if you could be more specific as to your need/expectation.
In what way "was it really good" edge-on? What did it look like? Presumably entirely copper or entirely silver. If it was any kind of blend (even without a sharp line) then it would still be confusing and discrepant, since no coins are a blend of both. Even clad Kennedy halves - which have some of both colors are fairly specific-looking, and that doesn't match what an English Penny should look like, so the edge is still "wrong" for that.

As we've said: it doesn't really make much sense to be showing the edge much, since it won't match one of the coins at best. I'll again point out that the Copeland coins are some of the best here - I'm not sure I agree with inigmntoya's assessment. Tarnished copper can look like silver patina, so it more easily matches both - at least in my opinion. But it's still not perfect from all angles - particularly completely edge-on.

And for reference, all of TwoCan's coins that I've seen pictures of have a pretty crisp edge.
If Johnson's is the design that made you most happy, perhaps you should just find a replacement by them? They're not making new ones, but I'm sure a large number still exist and could be obtained asking around in the F/S forum.

It must be the way I wrote my post as to me my question is quite simple but I'll try and clarify.
My original C/S coin looked good from every angle as there was no visible line between the copper and silver when the coin was viewed from the side, whilst I understand the focus isn't on the side of the coin if I was able to get a coin which looked good from all angles before then obviously if possible I would prefer to have the same quality again and not because I intend to display the coin by it's edge.....who does that ?

I recently purchased a C/S coin from someone who makes gaffs here in the UK for practice purposes and even face on you could see the copper coin had overlapped the silver coin, it's probably the worst C/S silver coin I've seen but as it's intended for just practice without an actual spectator its fit for purpose.

You may or not know this but Johnsons magic is no longer operating which is why I'm not able to go back to them, I was hoping that people who have C/S gaffs would post some pictures to help me decide which maker to go with but it appears that nobody wants to do this which is fine but I thought there's no harm in asking.
With regards to Coplands coons I've never heard of a copper tiger coin so it screams gimmick to me.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3515 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I found my coin from TWOCAN. The silver and copper do not blend in. There is a visible distinction between each side.
I am still looking for my Johnson C/S to do a comparison with pictures.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Nov 14, 2022, warren wrote:
With regards to Coplands coons I've never heard of a copper tiger coin so it screams gimmick to me.

Most people (that aren't coin collectors) have never seen an English Penny, half dollar, or 20 Centavos either. They may have heard about silver dollars, but never actually seen or handled one.

Most/all "Chinese" coins used in magic are totally fake with the writing often translating to something about magic.

Copeland provides a reasonably credible back story that can be used with the Tiger-Tan and Kingdom coins.

If you are worried about unusual coins "screaming gimmick" that pretty much limits things to pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters - or whatever your local country's common loose change is.

Personally, I prefer unusual coins as they draw interest and can help build a story around an effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tango C/S coin (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL