We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Back Palming More Than One Card - Advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
primoshock
View Profile
New user
Utah
11 Posts

Profile of primoshock
After months of laboring. lol. A LABOR OF LOVE! I finally back palmed a card - then front palmed it and back.

Now I want MORE! I am guessing that my finger muscles are not strong enough cause I can barely hold three cards [back palmed] and when I attempt to single produce them - well it's a disaster!

Anyone have tips or what not for my problem . . . on hand. (sorry bad pun) lol.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
If you feel your problem is with hand strength you are probably clipping the cards too close to your fingertips. The closer you get to the base of your fingers, the easier the backpalm becomes. You may also try giving the cards a slight concave bend before backpalming them. This will require your fingers to do less holding work as well.

You'll probably need to be a little more specific if you want these guys (gender neutral) to help you with card productions, as in, what type of production(s) you are attempting.

Good luck. Smile
Yakworld.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Also, what type of cards are you using? The type & condition of the cards can make a big difference.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Don't get discouraged...think of the disaster as a flash production!!! And practice sitting on the floor (You don't have to travel as far to pick them back up).

Steven

Smile
primoshock
View Profile
New user
Utah
11 Posts

Profile of primoshock
I have just started manipulations and have found I like them a lot!

I can back palm Bikes fine with a little bit of the egdes sticking out. Then front palm it fine also. Then I use Bees for throwing.

When I use Bees they pop out from my fingers. lol.

yakandjak I have noticed that holding back like you said works better . . . now just to get out of the habit of doing it the other way. Smile

Thanks all!
***Kev***
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ***Kev***
I can backpalm 30 or so Bee cards,
That's not bad!

My muscles are strong in my hands due to continous practice. The muscles used don't get used in normal life, which is why you are struggling.

3cards?
Practice!
Kevin. Smile
primoshock
View Profile
New user
Utah
11 Posts

Profile of primoshock
WOW! I can actually do six cards and do a quick multiple production . . . SCORE!

Thanks to everyone who PM'ed me!
Kallak
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Kallak
Hello all, new guy on board.

30 cards, Kev!?

That seems like a million right this second. I can do maybe 15 - 18 right now. I've been learning manipulations for a few months now.

Could you (Kev) possibly post a link to a pic of your hand with 30 cards backpalmed? I'm curious how much edge is supposed to show with that many cards. I know how much shows when I do 15+ and it seems like too much.

Thanks,

Kallak
bradutterstrom
View Profile
New user
Portland, OR
12 Posts

Profile of bradutterstrom
I'm curious as to what the standard is of experienced manipulators...how many cards backpalmed is realistic? I can maybe get 12-15 cards backpalmed (though my fingers are sort of open, and if my hand isn't in constant motion they'll certainly be seen). But I have to produce them in a fan, then split down to 7 or 8. I can do single productions of 8 or so, but not many more.

Also, I'm really new at this, when I say I can do all of this stuff it means maybe 1 out of 5 or 10 tries, not something I could perform in front of people (yet.)
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I used to be pretty good at backpalming a long time ago, but I could only manage about ten on a really good day. I never could reproduce them singly, though. I've read in different books how to do it, but it never works for me. Has anybody got any tips on that, or is it just one of those things you have to experiment with?
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1358 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
you can have about a quarter inch worth of edge sticking out of each finger, if the card is a red bee, or a flesh toned manipulation card, and you are only exposing it for a second... (the produced card, covers the edges nicely) and the slight motion of the hand hides the rest.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
WOW!!!!! 30!!! dang the most i can do is 21-24 cards... primoshock you should use bee cards they are the best in manipulation if you make them right... or you can even go out and buy manipulation cards if you wish... one word of advice... dont flash to much and start off small

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
magicboy1234567
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicboy1234567
i can barely hold three cards can somebody help me with this?
manipulation!!!
Giuseppe
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
70 Posts

Profile of Giuseppe
I need lots of help. I can back palm at least ten Bikes but I can never take out the cards one at a time. Can someone help? Smile
circus_freak17
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of circus_freak17
I am assuming by saying taking out the cards one at a time, you mean producing singles. Its really not hard to accompish. Its just takes a little effort and you will be doing Cardini Singles in no time. Louis Ganson has some good books on Card Munipultion. Check those books out if you can. Its really hard to explain how to do it. You just have to learn it from a person or books and videos. Good Luck!!!
Charles Watson
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
It will sound silly, but the best advice I can give is: just keep practicing and adding another card. There's no real secret. You just keep doing it until your hand adapts to more and more cards.

Frankly, once you've been doing it long enough, the number of cards matters less, and less. I can backpalm a deck, but my hand looks cramped and of course they're sticking out quite a bit, so I wouldn't want to do it in a show. You will get to where you can use a whole deck of production cards however (they're about a third the thickness).

Once your fingers adapt to the numbers, you can pull singles off a whole, normal deck, till the cows come home, and with more practice you can split fan a full deck. Again, I wouldn't suggest doing it on stage. The card's, edges showing, isn't the main problem. As stated above, if the cards are red, or esp. if they are flesh coloured, they won't be seen with a little hand movement, and of course the produced card covering the edges when your hand is still. But, your fingers will start looking VERY odd. If you can do thirty normal cards, that's probably all you ever need to use. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
magicboy1234567
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicboy1234567
Thanks for the advice Jeb.
manipulation!!!
Warlock1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Warlock1
Try Bpalming 2

wl1
Warlock1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Warlock1
Try Bpalming 2

wl1
erichall
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
69 Posts

Profile of erichall
Tony Clark has a good DVD on this, "Tony Clark's award winning card routine". I found this less overwhelming than the McBride series, and he has a nice routine. I went from one bp to many thanks to some of the tips on the DVD.

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Back Palming More Than One Card - Advice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL