The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Male or female rabbit... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMagicApple
View Profile
New user
The Magic Apple
8 Posts

Profile of TheMagicApple
I am thinking of buying a rabbit as a pet and then eventually using him/her in my show. I would like some suggestions as to get a male or female. What are (other than the obvious) some differences in the two sexes. I have called Vets and they don't seem to care but I KNOW there must be a difference....
thanx!
The Magic Apple
818-508-9921
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Good move MagicApple! Even rabbits know there is a difference.

My real advice is to change rabbits every two weeks. And I did that for decades before Lucy and I were married. Now I can't give "Thumper" away if he ever comes home. My experience is that grown (emphasis on adult) male rabbits are more likely to bite. They also tend to soak your equipment from time to time. (Rabbits can be house trained to use a litter box or newspaper.) We use females when we have a choice. Our decision is far from scientific.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I could not imagine changing out every two weeks.. I use males. I use a bunny called a hotoe. They are great bunnies the more they are around kids the better. When I first get a bunny I put it in a carry cage and I take it to my daughters class every day for about a month. This gets the bunny used to children and noises.

Treat your bunny like it is the star and you will have a very happy bunny!

Ken
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I, too, can't imagine changing bunnies every two weeks; that sure seems like treating the bunny almost as a disposable prop.

I think Ken has given very good advice, for both you and your bunny, MagicApple.

Ron Reid
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Gentlemen,

If it will help your feelings, we have used the same rabbit since early in 2002. She is a very large New Zealand White named Maxwell. Her photo on stage at work with a trained goose having a fantasy tea party is attached. (I think Maxwell weighs about 13 pounds!)

Young rabbits are smaller, easier to use and people ask for them. My costs was $2.00 each from rabbit meat growers. Becoming someone's pet was a reprieve. I felt good about it!

Bob
Magic By Sander

Click here to view attached image.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I have a male dwarf age 7 months. He is working out nicely. I set up a card game with the birthday child and my daughter. Each pick a card. "Cheddar" cheats by pulling out two cards with his mouth. Birthday child wins::)

I was told by breeder the females are more tempermental but I haven't had mine long enough to know how he will react later.
kingsnqueens
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
77 Posts

Profile of kingsnqueens
Hello Apple,

I have a couple suggestions, but first let me give you my background.

I've been a student of magic for almost fifty years. I have made my living performing, but I don't claim to be a pro, because a pro makes a job out of magic.
Me I do magic if I get paid or not,because I love it so.

I'm retired now, but still do shows. My sweet wife & I have a small farm in Southern Oklahoma. We raise, and train doves & rabbits.

The main rabbits I breed for magic are Polish. The males grow to be about 2 1/4 lbs. The females alittle bigger. We handle all the kits (babies) everyday to judge temperment & personality. The females for breeding the boys for performers.

I recommend using male bunnys for shows as they are more even tempered. I strongly recommend having them fixed at a young age as they seem to be easier to handle & less agressive. I find they love attention & ham it up for the show.

Now I know I've had some great does (females) that have been wonderful show buns, but in my opinion that's not the norm.

The bunnies that don't make it as little stars find loving homes with FFA & 4H kids.

Good luck on your Rabbit Quest! ...... Manyfingers
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use Netherland Dwarf bunnies and I only use bucks. I had one doe once but I was told it was a buck when I bought him...ah...her. She did not work out as good as any of my bucks have. I've never had a buck to try and bite me, yet.

Good luck,

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Male or female rabbit... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL