The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Monthly practice schedule (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Imaginationalist
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Imaginationalist
I wouldn't call myself necessarily new to magic but I am new to trying to improve and get the most out of any trick I perform. I was considering for 2023 to pick a type of magic or routine to work on for each month of the year. So a few questions related to that.
1) Does that even sound like a plausible plan/method to utilize? I do know that every so often, maybe every month, I need to go back over whatever I have learned previously to keep it in my mind. I've learned (and forgotten) too much already.
2) I know this is going to sound like a jack of all trades comment, but I truly don't think it is. My real desire and focus is to improve my mentalism, not really mental magic, but stuff like Richard Osterlind, Doug Dyment, Scott Creasey, Paul Voodini so for this should I work on learning individual moves or utility moves (billets, nail writing, learning and practicing readings) or would it be better to use complete routines and learn the moves in the course of the routine? Thinking about it, the stuff I'm able to do now and feel confident with has been things I learned as routines and had to learn the moves to do the routine but I'm not dogmatic enough to think it has to necessarily be the best way. For the jack of all trades part, I'd also like to learn some of the classics (currently working on Aldo Colombini's Cups and Balls routine) and don't really desire to shun magic completely. I do fill in at a magic theatre (not as a performer but backstage and doing some close-up stuff before and after the show) some so that will always be a part of my life as well.
3) I can't decide if it should be just working on one thing for the month or maybe a couple each month at the same time. I don't want to try for more than 2 a month just so I can give each one the time it deserves to make it performable. Also, when I talk about learning a routine or effect, for me it includes everything, not just the sleights, but also the scripting, blocking, everything that would be needed to be able to show it to someone without being embarrassed by it looking amateurish.
I know there will probably be a lot of "you have to decide these for yourself" type of answers and that's fine, but if anyone would be willing to give some ideas or share your practice routines (not the tricks but just how you practice, how much time, is it a dedicated time, do you focus on one thing at a time or learn a few, etc.), it would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It is 100% dependent on the trick.

Some tricks are totally self-working so all you'll need to do is focus on your presentation. How long will this take? Well, as you suspected, that's all up to you.

But, assuming you've got at least basic sleight of hand skills, I think giving yourself a month for anyone specific trick is probably enough time to put together a basic presentation that will be both smoothly executed and entertaining.

Kind of like the old saying: "it takes a minute to learn about a lifetime to master..."

Good luck!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
andrew.blais
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of andrew.blais
I'm in a similar situation. I've focused on coins. I've been watching Harbottle's Coins 101. Doubly nice; there's the coin work itself, but there is also, in this context, his reflections on magic per se. He's clearly a very thoughtful man. (Btw, would anyone out there know how to get a copy of his dissertation?) I also watch Rick Holcombe, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUlFMyionM&t=1367s. Bobo's book and the Salinas videos round out my practice sessions. There's progress sometimes, other times, not so much; the classic palm is still a forthcoming achievement.
Imaginationalist
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Imaginationalist
Perhaps it's a bit odd to answer my own question now. Smile First, thank y'all for the advice and help so far. Just a few days after posting my original message, I came across an e-book titled "Approaching Magic Practice" by Dominic Reyes. It sure sounded like the type of book I was looking for. Turns out, it's even better than I imagined. I really think instead of highlighting sections that were helpful, it would have been easier to just highlight the few sections that didn't apply to me. It was really that good. He's not going to teach any tricks in this book, but I've started applying his principles and I do think it's helping. At least the theory behind using his method of practice seems solid.
Some of my favorite quotes are:

1. It's the time you commit to practice that will make the trick magical, and you a skilled magician. There really isn't any short-cut.
2. Practice in the present, thinking about what you are ACTUALLY doing.
3. Don't spend too much time trying to fool other magicians. (This is probably one of my favorites!!)
4. The goal of sleight of hand isn't to be unique or different, but rather to do something invisibly.
5. The average magician is only prepared to spend an average amount of time working on their technique.
6. Size doesn't matter; it's how often you get to use it that counts. (had to include this one, get the book to find out what he's talking about Smile )
7. Practice with your fingers and you will need all day. Practice with your mind and you will do as much in one and half hours.

I'll leave it there for now, but while it may seem like I've included a lot of quotes, it's not even the tip of the iceberg of the wealth of knowledge and help that is included in this 120-page e-book. Oh, did I mention you can get all this for free? He has it on his website for free to anyone who wants it. You can find it here. https://magicshop.co.uk/products/approac......8f&_ss=r I hope it's okay to post the link in the forum. While you're there, I'd recommend looking around and seeing what else they have and supporting him back if possible since he was willing to share this with the magic community for no charge. I know I'm going to.

Andrew, there's actually a section just on coin magic.
Thanks again for all your advice so far and looking forward to seeing more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Monthly practice schedule (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL