The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What's the name of this effect: anti-gravity coin or what? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi,

I recently saw a magician performing this effect:
he had a coin held in his right hand. He placed his left hand above his right hand, about 10 inches above. then the coin floated up into the left hand that was saboce his right hand. Its like the rising card effect, just done on a coin, and the coin rose about 10 inches in the air into his left hand!!!!

just need to know: what is the name of this effect? where can I learn this? I am guessing, but it seems like invisible elastic thread is used here... I am not sure, just guessing...

sorry for such a simple question, I am a newbie in coin magic....

thanks for yiour help
eric Smile
"Fill you life with magic by making magic a part of your life." by eric tan.
Imperistan
View Profile
Regular user
Holland
106 Posts

Profile of Imperistan
It is called the Muscle pass, and it is pure sleigth of hand. Search around the internet, and you will find the explanation. Needs much Practice

Imperistan

[Edit: Stupid Questions don't exist, once I didn't know that too, and I had to learn it too, so ask everything you want, but search the forum. Much question are already answered.
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
You can learn it at coinvanish.com, go into the foundations section. It one of those sleights where its easy for some and impossible for others.

Good luck.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I have a question... what do you mean by actually the coin "floating"? Are we sure what Eric saw was a muscle pass? Usually the muscle pas is referred to as "falling up" becuase it does pop up very quickly.... I wouldn't call it floating up.

How fast did the coin "float up".... ? There are effects using IT that may make a coin appear to actually float... I have a gimmicked coin that is designed to work with IT called "Quarter Flight" The coin actully foats...

That may have been what you saw Eric...
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
Hi,

the floating up was pretty slow... it didn't seem like the coin was shot up... and I could still see the spining of the coin as it rose slowly up...

does this sound like the muscle pass?

eric Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27158 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Slowly rose up... wow. There are things in the books on IT for doing that. Perhaps you might start there. That is usually done with a dollar bill though. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-07-04 18:29, erictan8888 wrote:
I could still see the spining of the coin as it rose slowly up...

If the coin was spinning like a Frisbee (flat) this is a pretty standard IT trick.

You can spin a quarter and make a quarter float.
Click to visit:
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1465 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I think it probably was still the muscle pass - but if you move the upper hand away from the lower hand, and drop the lower hand after you shoot it, it gives the illusion that the coin moves more slowly...(just a hunch)...btw, I can't do the muscle pass for my life. The BEST I can get it is about 4 inches Smile

Sigh.
Logic Defied
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
567 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
It sounds like the muscle pass. If I go between twelve and eighteen inches the coin seems to move a lot more slowly (in fact, when I'm asked to do it again, slowly, this is what I do). At my peak I was getting up to twenty four inches, and that looks very slow...

Take care, Ian
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I agree with Dan, Most likely what you saw is an IT effect.

The muscle pass is well worth learning however. I don't do it professionally, but have fun with it from time to time performing for friends... I can only get it up about 12 inches... and sometimes I can't get it up at all.

Dan's website has a great explaination. Add lots of practice and you have a great effect!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
If you could see the coin spinning and it was really slow, chances are it was not a muscle pass.
erictan8888
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
517 Posts

Profile of erictan8888
It wasn't spinning like a frisbee, it was spinning like the muscle pass Dan did, but only slightly slower.

so I guess it should have been the muscle pass, what else could it have been?

any idea?

eric Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What's the name of this effect: anti-gravity coin or what? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL