The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question re: three fly/coins across (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Is anyone aware of a coins across routine that may use gimmicks or minimal if any technical moves? I would like to be able to do this stand-up.

I know Sankey and Daryl have routines, but I believe they are fairly technical.

Thanks,
j.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1057 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Bob Kohler's "Ultimate 3-Fly" uses a great gimmick, however, even though it uses a gimmicked coin for it to look like real magic, it takes lots of practice and you should be pretty familiar with handling coins and coin sleights before you dive into this. Personally, it's the one I use. Very expensive but good (around $300).

Also, using a different gimmick you can look into Troy Hooser's Total Destruction DVD series. This particular gimmick is more fragile and needs maintenance from time to time.

There are also several good 3-Fly routines using standard S***s, but I'm not familiar enough to comment. Others will have much more info for you as well.

For a more standard coins across, I recommend David Roth's Flying Eagles. It uses a standard S***l. Done well, it's one of the most effective coins across routines you'll find anywhere... again, it takes a lot of practice before it becomes a miracle.

My advice, before you spend a lot of dough, look into non-gimmick options first. Reed McClintock and R. Paul Wilson have great versions of 3-Fly.

Check out Dan Watkins's Coinvanish.com for more info. He has a wealth of info there!
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Alex Lourido teaches a good coins across on his DVD Buttercoin which uses, of course, the Buttercoin.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Not sure what you mean by technical moves.

It takes practice and precision to properly palm a coin or to transfer coins secretly under cover of other actions.

The last coin vanish in a good routine will involve some precise routining and will also require practice.

The use of gaffs exchanges the freedom to fumble or drop the props for a better looking effect.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
stephen secret
View Profile
New user
mpls.
67 Posts

Profile of stephen secret
I like PDQ2 by Paul Harris. You end clean with the last (fourth) coin (along with the other three) in their hands.

This routine takes some work to use.
sincerely, secret
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I second PDQ II, always gets magicians on the last coin.
Bernard Sim
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Why on earth would folks be concerned about fooling magician peers?

Isn't it more important that the material look magical to a normal audience?
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1093 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
What I meant was, this routine looks good to magicians and works great for layman. And I do agree that it is more important that materials should look more magical to a normal audience than to magicians.
Bernard Sim
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
I am able to do various coin moves, but thought 3 fly required some "technical" moves. I like the routine, but would not present it that often and therefore don't feel the time to put into the routine would be worth it if I can't use it often. That is why I am looking for a simpler version.

thanks,

j.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Johnpert,
"3 Fly" (the Chris Kenner version that I have) is not that "technical." If you have any basic skill with coins you shouldn't have any problem learning this, and it will definitely save you a lot of money by not having to buy gimmicks, especially if you don't intend to perform it very often.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

Have you looked at John Kennedy's version of the trick using a glass or cup? It's quite impressive and certainly not technical.

It happens that the Visual Coins Across stuff evolved from John Ramsay's work, which was quite demanding. My addition of Back-clip and Edge Grip work to his Three Coins in the Hat trick added some to the difficulty and just happened to produce the thing folks call 'Three Fly' as a side effect.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
454 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The Reed McClintock DVD, Coin Ovations has my favorite version called Scream Fly. I varied it sleightly as I hate using Sh**s for any reason. Works beautiful without one.
fanwun
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of fanwun
I would definitely advise you to check out R. Paul Wilson's version of 3 Fly. It doesn't use gimmicks and it isn't "technical." Now that I've familiarized myself with the effect, I think the most crucial aspect is timing. R. Paul Wilson's version only calls for a few basic sleights and techniques. However, your body language, timing and presentation are key to successful performance of the effect.
meilechl
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of meilechl
Dante King has an ungimmicked one that's very easy and uses just 2 very basic sleights.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
If you want to do 3-fly well, no matter which one you choose, with or without gimmicks, it will take a lot of practice. You can't do the trick well without it.

I could explain why, but all the reasons are given in the above posts. The one thing they forgot, it the trick needs fluidity to look right and that only comes with practice and time. Without it, the magical effect is weak.

If you just want a simple coins across trick then use the standard one ahead principle and a glass to telegraph the arrival of the coin. It takes a lot less practice to do that well.

Kirk
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3668 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
3 fly by Mr. Kohler, I believe, is the best. However, the size and tha natural weight of the silver dollars are difficult to manipulate, even with practice. It would be a good idea if he would manufacture the same gimmick but in a regular half dollar size. I asked Bob about this some time ago and he said he thought it was interesting and would look into it.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26985 Posts

The question is still... WHY DO THE COINS TRAVEL?

IE What motivates the trick?

The story and motivation usually suggest the props and handling.

BTW, David Roth's coins across does very well especially with the 'faxing' line suggested by Letterman.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Half dollar sized coins are available from Todd Lassen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Question re: three fly/coins across (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL