The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Explosion by Dean Dill » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Grasshop34
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincinnati, OH
308 Posts

Profile of Grasshop34
I am very interested in Dean's new effect, Explosion. It looks to be the closest thing to real magic. His performance is amazing. The only downside I see is that you have to drop $1000 for the 16 coin production.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/static/clips/explosioxn.rm

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?hn=1

Before I use my entire magic budget, I need to make sure I know what I am getting.

Is Explosion selfworking or difficult to perform?

How experienced do you need to be at coin magic to master the routine? His hands appear empty the entire time.

Why is the price so high, what are you paying for?

Are the coins examinable?

Any other thoughts or comments?
Thanks! - Jason
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1263 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
It is NOT easy and is meant for at least advanced intermediates. The coins are NOT examinable. Precision + exclusivity = price. This routine has very limited venues in which to perform. And lastly, Dean and a handful of others make this a beautiful routine. Not everyone can make it look as good.

Steve "Dean Fan" Hook
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Eric Falconer
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston
376 Posts

Profile of Eric Falconer
No the coins are not examinable. Not much experience is needed. The coins are gaffed up the wazoo. But what a gaff. 1000 is a lot but the coins are walking liberty halves (just gaffed up). His hands look empty because they are. That's not where the tricks are. But don't kid yourself... just because there's a gaff doesn't mean the trick is self working. It does require some understanding of certain sleights. And also realize that Dean is a pro. He makes it look good. You will have to practice to make it look like he does it. But I am definitely going to save up for a set. It would go real well with his production pad.
Eric Falconer

Houston TX
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I have to dissagree about not much experiance is needed. If you have never messed with the "main move" that is involved in this routine, goodluck! This routine is not something you can pick up and just do.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5262 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Given that you're not experienced at coin work, I suggest that you spend the money elsewhere. For much less than $1000, you can get a lot of quality books and videos.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1648 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Explosion really fits best into a more formal close-up show, the kind where you're at a table and using a fairly large close-up pad for the best display of the final 16 coins.

It can also be done impromptu -- let's say, as a follow-up to Shadow Coins on the floor, after doing a s****h of the coins. But less experienced performers will have to worry about their friends wanting to grab or see the coins, etc. This is much easier to control in a "formal close-up show" situation.

Explosion is definitely not a "plug and play" effect. As JasonDean notes above, the main move, which is done with both hands, takes some serious practice in order to do smoothly. Otherwise, it can appear a bit tight/awkward/suspicious/obvious, depending on who's doing it, the size of their hands, etc.

All this said, it's a very magical looking routine, as you can see in the demo clip. To watch Dean Dill do it live is to want to perform it yourself.

However, to be cautious I'd definitely recommend that you have a look at the coins before you buy and see Dean do the routine in person before you invest such a substantial sum of money in a single effect.

Alternative: Learn Translocation (table) and Shadow Coins (floor) and you'll have two incredible effects.

You could also learn Dean's earlier "multiple coins appear on table" effect that preceded Explosion. It's on one of his videos; you end up with 9 coins, as I recall, and it requires only that you buy two standard gaffs, which don't have to be Walking Liberty silver coins. This routine, too, takes serious practice.

Cheers,
Jerry
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
*just commenting on dean's other 9-coin explosion.

You can work it out so there is only 1 gaff needed. The setup is a little bit different, but its the same routine and finish.
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
Beautiful looking effect especially the explosion of coins at the end.

If its as difficult as previous posters say (and it looks it) then its appropriate that its priced at a level that ensures on people who are serious purchase it and thereby don't mess it up for the the guys who can seriously handle this kind of effect.

I am in awe, true magic at its best.
Nick23
View Profile
Special user
England
551 Posts

Profile of Nick23
Considering you asked if the coins are examinable, I don't think you a ready for this.

If you were ready, you would already have some idea what the gimmicks were, and because of that you would be able to appreciate where most of the money is going.
Nothing I do can't be done by a 10-year-old...with 15 years of practice."
-- Harry Blackstone, Jr.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Explosion by Dean Dill » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL