The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Looking for the name of a forcing deck (half same, half different) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
492 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hello, some forcing card decks are half different cards and the other half identical cards. Is there a technical term for this deck? Thanks in advance!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I've heard this referred to as a Blackstone(Sr.) forcing deck, but I'm not sure that is the "official" name.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
50/50 in the U.S.
Al Baker Force deck across the pond.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
492 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
David from the YouTube-Channel magicorthodoxy said in the video below: 'A Svengali Deck is also called a 50 50 Deck'. I thought '50 50 Deck' would be the name for a deck of cards which have the same length and were 50 cards are identical and 50 card are different. Is David correct and if so is there a special name just for a deck of cards which have the same length and were 50 cards are identical and 50 card are different? Thanx in advcance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLAxLSbrrGE
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2023, Daniel Ulzen wrote:
David from the YouTube-Channel magicorthodoxy said in the video below: 'A Svengali Deck is also called a 50 50 Deck'. I thought '50 50 Deck' would be the name for a deck of cards which have the same length and were 50 cards are identical and 50 card are different. Is David correct and if so is there a special name just for a deck of cards which have the same length and were 50 cards are identical and 50 card are different? Thanx in advcance.

A Svengali is not also known as a 50/50 deck; I have never seen it referenced as such.

I've already told you what it is called depending on what side of the pond you are on...... you don't believe me?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
David is wrong. He also says a Sven is called a one way force deck in that video (which is also wrong). A one way force deck is a deck where all of the cards are the same. I agree with “the sponge” on this one.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
492 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Thank you both. I had just wondered that another expert had claimed something different than written here and could not judge who was right. That is why I asked. But thanks again for the information!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
The Sponge is correct, however, to cut some slack to David, you can turn your Svengali into (technically) a 50/50 deck and get back into Svengali with a Faro, for example. A Svengali turned into a 50/50 deck is a very strong weapon: Simon Lovell in Simon Says! describes a Jim Zachary handling where both groups (long and shorts) are segregated which allows for very easy and deceiving overhand shuffling that completely fooled him. Whenever possible I always start with my Svengali in a 50/50 setup and then eventually faro it into a Svengali. Always fools lay people who know the Svengali deck.

By the way, in a video more recent than the one posted by the OP, David only calls the Svengali deck a 50/50 after he's separated long from shorts: https://youtu.be/GDrXDGweyjQ?t=372
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2023, Daniel Ulzen wrote:

Hi Daniel
A 50/50 deck does not contain 50 cards (of anything) plus 50 more of something else. That would be a total of 100 cards. "50/50" refers to percentages. This is a common expression in English - but maybe not in German?
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Elite user
Berlin/Germany
492 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
Hi Nikodemus, sorry, of course the deck has not 100 cards. In Germany we say "Haelfte Haelfte" (half half) and some also say "fifty fifty", but as far as I know the numbers '50 50' are not used/common.
MudMedic
View Profile
New user
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
41 Posts

Profile of MudMedic
Available at Penguin Magic

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S5464

Also available in blue
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Looking for the name of a forcing deck (half same, half different) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL