The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best 3 card monte? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kakuna
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Kakuna
Guys, looking for the best self working 3 card monte. Any suggestions?

thanks
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Ungaffed: Akira Fujii's version. But not completely self working.

You may look at Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3 Card Monte. I love it. At the end do a s****h. If they want to see more show one phase of Akira Fujii and let the cards examine.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Ungaffed, Color Monte.

Gaffed, 3 by Steve Valentine.

thread: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=203
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Agree with Kaliix on the Color Monte. It's so good, I've never bothered even looking for another version!
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
'Three Card Monte" is widely regarded as the Bible on the subject. I am referring to John Scarne's excellent treatise. 'Color Monte' rocks also. Just wish that they would change the dollar amounts to $10 increments per bet as $1 seems a little out of date.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1174 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2023, Kakuna wrote:
Guys, looking for the best self working 3 card monte. Any suggestions?

thanks

What do you mean by "self working"? Requiring no sleights? That would rule out Color Monte.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Solux
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Solux
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2023, Kaliix wrote:
Https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4518
Nice! Seems to be Michael Skinner's Cards with updated routines. With these cards you can also do the original handling, e.g. shown by Bill Malone on his Loose DVDs.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I can only assume that means you still use the Red and Blue Diamond cards and the green $14 card. I realized early on during the short time I table hopped that customers weren't reacting as usual and seemed confused. The light in a restaurant, it turns out, is not conducive (or at least wasn't at the time) to discerning Red from Blue when looking at the diamonds. The shape and placement of the diamonds are the same so without color, there is confusion and no magic. I think Vernon said something like that ;-)

Then those cards were damaged by a packet trick wallet. That meant more money for cards people were having trouble seeing anyways.

All this led to me performing Color Monte with the Ace of Spades, the big Joker, and the Queen of hearts for the finale. This meant I could just use cards from the deck, with the Ace being easily distinguished from the Joker, without the need for refills. There are also two jokers in the deck so no one questions how you have "two" of them. You can now also do the trick impromptu with a borrowed deck assuming one joker is still there.

For me, the QH allowed for the finale to be..."The man said sorry son, you owe me $14, maybe you'll have better luck with the ladies."

Quote:
On Feb 9, 2023, Inert wrote:
'Three Card Monte" is widely regarded as the Bible on the subject. I am referring to John Scarne's excellent treatise. 'Color Monte' rocks also. Just wish that they would change the dollar amounts to $10 increments per bet as $1 seems a little out of date.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3513 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
For me, the QH allowed for the finale to be..."The man said sorry son, you owe me $14, maybe you'll have better luck with the ladies."

Nice!
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
And just for the record, Skinner’s basic monte is also marketed as “Chase the Ace” (in which the supplied gaffs are only very slightly different, in that in the Skinner set the sole ungaffed card is a 2 of Clubs, whereas in the “Chase” version the sole ungaffed card is a 3 of Clubs; in both, the money card is an Ace of Hearts, flanked by 2 & 3 of Clubs).

Also, the late Daryl’s website still sells another variant called “Ultra Monte,” in which the money card is a big Ace of Spades (instead of the usual Ace of Hearts), flanked by two red aces; just a bit easier to follow visually, perhaps.)
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
683 Posts

Profile of Inert
Thank you Kaliix for some handy ideas & tips.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Bob King’s Monte Nightmare from Magician Foolers (1989) uses only 3 cards, no gimmicks, done in the hands. The cards change places and the backs change colors. While I prefer a classic three card Monte routine, if I did one in the hands, this would be it.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Skinner’s monte will always be my go-to but 3 by Steve Valentine is an absolute killer. An in the hands monte that will fool the pants off you and has several phases not seen in other monte routines.
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
What about Martin Lewis -Queenie, The Amazing Dancing Girl-? It is easy to do but you'll need a Himber wallet for it. You can find it in Close-Up Miracles.
Ferry Gerats
View Profile
Regular user
the Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Ferry Gerats
The funniest three card monte in the world: Https://www.lybrary.com/the-funniest-thr......614.html
Paul24243
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Paul24243
As Solux suggested, Michael Skinners Ultimate 3 Card Monte is very good. Take a look at Bill Malone using this version.
https://youtu.be/TkFdjhdw5QE?feature=shared
montanna40
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of montanna40
Stand up Monte garret Thomas
Think the routine is sublime
Magicbob89
View Profile
New user
Maryland
27 Posts

Profile of Magicbob89
As people have said, I like skinner's Monte
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
Virtually self-working, but not examinable: UltiMonte by Harold Cataquet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99Z48qfygA

Rather easy ungaffed, examinable stunner: Virginia City Shuffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6bEDDmXNt0
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Best 3 card monte? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL