The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to find this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Riddioc
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Riddioc
Does anyone have any idea where I can find cheap trained white doves. These doves have to be able to fly for a sec and in a indoor stage area and also come back to me and my partner, I'll be doin a doulbe bare hand dove reproduction with fickel fire, so please tell... Thanx

Riddioc!
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
It's not really a good idea to cut corners in dove magic, you should take the time to train them yourself

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5112 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves are not props. You can't just pick them up and do a trick. Making them return to you is all part of training and they must be comfortable with you. Cheap and trained do not always go together. If you really want to do dove magic, then you should invest the time and effort to do it right.
Where the magic begins
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
I agree with Sperris and Dave. Take time and train them your self. Try Tony Clarks meathod on Unmasks 1 (i think). I worked well for me
retrostylemagic
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Reddioc,

I don't think that it would help you to get someone's trained doves, even if we sent you some we have used a dozen years on stage. Fly-backs are a more special case you certainly need to rehearse (even with your regular doves every day) on site. Lighting etc. will really matter.

Actually, you should train your own doves. If you are not experienced at this get a pro to help you. Live animals are not the same as your other props. Think of them as co-stars in your show. You may be assured more people in the audience will remember the doves than will remember your name or face or even your connection with the show.

I also don't recommend doing Fickle Fire with live doves. (Among other things, your hands will be full already! You might as well wear boxing gloves.) Most likely they will very actively keep their distance from you. They're just not that dumb! They will avoid fire, heat, and the smell of fuel. They are more likely to just fly into a stage light.

If this show is for the fall, I suggest that you replan your routine. This one is more than a fantasy. It is disaster in the making. These tricks can be combined in a better way. Take your time. Perhaps some other production might make more sense for the next show.

Good Luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
Nicely said Bob.
retrostylemagic
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
The routine that you are mentioning, with 2 doves produces barehanded with fickle fire is being done by Criss Angel. I am not sure if it is his.

One of the hardest effects in dove magic is getting a dove to flyback to you. The lighting, staging has to be perfect or else they get distracted. I have seen the doves of Top dove workers not flyback, and these guys are pros. It is possible but there is always that percentage of failure that I avoid.

I recommend the opener from Joseph Gabriel, which is the fickle done with invisible harnesses, if you don’t know what invisible harnesses are, I wouldn’t even try it. Dan Birch does a similar opening, his dove act can be seen at http://www.danbirch.com

Joseph and Dan’s openers require precise timing or else you will burn the doves. Some pointers to consider, the loops for that effect are short and the doves are NOT in a dove pocket, they are held in place with your armpits and upper arms.

I have done the effect, it is difficult to do, it is fire and if you get caught your in trouble. To even perform this effect in public requires the fire marshall. Fire marshall cost about $300.00 per hour.

Keep it real,

G0THIKE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Where to find this? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL