The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fast or slow (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
I've had about one year break from magic now, especially card manipulations. I'm back now.

I was thinking of weaving some superhandz style flourishes into a card manipulation act. Some types of flourishes look better when done fast. Could I do a fast-paced card manipulation act? Or does it have to be slow-paced?
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
This can be a difficult question. Guess it depends on what you're trying to do. Though I am not a fan, I have seen that one guy from ellusionist site do certain flourishes fast and, like you say, they do look good. As far as card/fan productions go, it is necessary to do them slow. It should be graceful and slow so that the audience can understand what is going on. I've tried to do them fast but it is a waste and the audience doesn't always pick up on what is happening until it is too late. If you do them too fast, it will look like you are just tossing some cards from out of your hand and it never looks empty, therefore you will not give the desired effect of "magically producing cards."
dynamiteassasin
View Profile
Inner circle
Naval Air Facility, Atsugi, Japan
1158 Posts

Profile of dynamiteassasin
The movements should be like water, flowing in the movements. The execution can be done fast but gracefully. Flourishes are not about speed; they're about beauty.
magicreza
View Profile
Regular user
USA
126 Posts

Profile of magicreza
I agree 100%.

When I first put my manipulation act in the show, it felt like it looked more impressive if it was done fast. After I reviewed tapes of the first few shows, I realized this was a mistake. Manipulation needs to looks smooth and graceful. The slower you do it, the more impressive it looks (in general).
On the other hand...don't limit yourself to what everyone else does/says either. If you feel you have a unique way of presenting an effect, run with it (as long as you run slowly and gracefully Smile ).

-Reza
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
> Could I do a fast-paced card manipulation act? Or does
> it have to be slow-paced?

I dunno... can you? Some performers go fast... some go slow... and many of the best vary the pace of their act. Jeff McBride will be plucking cards out of thin air a mile a minute with both hands, and then he'll be doing a very slow graceful interlock production.

The question you are asking is not can you, but should you - and only you know the answer to that. It would depend on your style and your music and your act itself.
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
xxxRoyxxx
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of xxxRoyxxx
There is a point in McBride's routine in which he produces cards with both hands, which seems fast, but really is not!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Manip acts can be done fast-paced or slow but it really depends upon your character, style and the presentation you're giving to your audience.

Just keep in mind that if you're doing a fast paced act, you still must place in critical pauses for the magic to register with the audience and give them a chance to applaude you. You must also place in transtion effects to break it up a bit and leep the flow going nicely.

You can also do both fast and slow in an act if you segment your music to work accordingly.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fast or slow (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL