The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ho*k Coin Gaff Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
At the bottom of my gaff drawer is an unused ho*k coin. Other than a throw vanish, can anyone recommend a use for this darn thing?
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Here is some interesting info.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Cloneman,
I have a one coin routine coming out in my hard bound with it. And I have some stuff using a hooked 2 and 3 coin gimmick in print.

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi
The latest UK 1 penny and 2 penny pieces are ferros based (shhhhh don't tell). Instead of a hook I use a m****t in my pocket and in my cuff (just separate the lining and drop it in there, gravity does the rest to keep it in place).

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
I believe on the Knockout Coin Magic DVD by Dr. Rubinstein there are a couple routines that involve this gaff, not too sure though. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Bill
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
I tell people that I will float the coin in mid air. But I don't do a throw throwing motion. I stop and place the coin and showing my hand empty. Then I reproduce it from mid air.
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I remember there are a few uses in Bobo's. Some in the gaff section (where that gaff is described), and some throughout the book where he makes a note that this gaff could be subsituted for a certain sleight in the given routine.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Also there are some routines in Ross Bertram's book, "Bertram on Sleight of Hand." He has an interesting way to make an impromptu gaff of the coin. It also has some routines as well, definitely worth checking out.

-Bill
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
One good use for a h**k coin is to use a spectator as a holdout. Let's say you do a false transfer to your left hand and in a friendly way, rest your right hand on a spectator's shoulder for a moment, to bring him closer or whatever. Helps if the spectator is wearing a sport coat, of course, to avoid sticking him inadvertently!

You can retrieve the coin in the same way. This ploy allows you to show your hands empty during the routine.

Cheers,
Jerry
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
A fun thing to use this type of coin for is as a running gag, it keeps showing up in various places on you, the spectator.. etc. you can call it your pet coin. you can also toss the coin at your chest and it will stick there, kind of suprises the spectator. and if you are tough, you can hang it on your skin on the back side of your hand very easily making a really nice vanish and reproduction.
tom
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Something about showing a coin sticking to your clothes seems counterproductive...

The idea, once planted could come back to bite you. The audience could start to wonder if the coin crawls around your hand and up the back of your sleeve or such.

Not a good idea IMHO
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I like the idea of sticking it onto a spectator, although I probably won't ever use it. Kinda like the move in Bobo's where he describes putting a coin onto a spectators shoulder... one hell of a ballsy move if you ask me. Impressive...
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I have actually stuck it to a spectators back during a show and vanished a dupe coin.. the teens started rolling with laughter when the spec turned around and the coin was stuck to her back.. they loved it.. and they never remembered me getting close enough to the spec to put it there.
Tom
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
HA! ... tried the same, worked NEARLY well, but beware: never, never do this for some friends in the open air bath. Blood can destroy that effect.

... no, not really. I like that idea!
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Look for my stand up coins thru in Tarbell 7. It uses a WHO coin.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
I just came across a routine that might put your coin to use. Have a look at 'The lapel coin' in Expert Coin Magic by David Roth (p. 148).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The lapel coin is NOT a hoo coin. It is there for a good reason, and stays there.

In his lectures and tapes David explains that it also needs to be light and so is not an entire coin either. And it is held there by more than just a hoo.

Anyhoo, have a look at the older tricks where you make a handful of change vanish or transform. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Oh... I don't have his lecture notes or a tape on the lapel coin, I was just browsing through the book and read a comment that suggested you may use a h*** coin instead of the tape. Sorry for any confusion.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
In Michael Skinner's book Intimate Magic there is a routine using this item. I think it may have originaly been written up in Genii by Charlie Miller's Magicana coulume.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
You should get the book here's who on coins! I think it was by bill spooner! But maybe some of the older guys can help me out?

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ho*k Coin Gaff Routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL