The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery solved 2.0 - David Penn (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Anyone pick this up in Blackpool? I know version 2.0 was being debuted at Blackpool. WPR gave a little preview of it on their last episode, just wondering if anyone picked it up/seen it and can give a bit more info in a comparison to V1 apart from just it’s a bit smaller (if there are any other differences)
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1253 Posts

Profile of rmendez
Aside from the smaller size, it’s made out of acrylic instead of plastic and looks thicker, more rugged and solid.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Yes, I noticed that from some of the close up shots on the trailers and TCC photos etc.
Thanks
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
See the promo ...

looks amazing!!
User101
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of User101
Isn't this just Clarity Box by David Regal?
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
Ah! So obviously the mystery wasn’t solved before.Think I’ll wait until he’s totally sure.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2023, User101 wrote:
Isn't this just Clarity Box by David Regal?

Definitely way different in just about every way from Regal’s Clarity Box. The effects can be similar but both being clear boxes is about the only similarity between the two as far as appearance and method.

Since the original Mystery Solved was released there have been so many clear switching boxes released. Jon Allen’s Paragon and Joao Miranda’s Vision Box to name just two. The methods used in these two later boxes were so vastly superior IMO to Mystery Solved that I am very surprised David Penn would release a 2.0 version using the same basic method. It really seems like a step backwards to me.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
All have their pros and cons I think and it depends on your working environment. If anything I feel it’s a step forward with it now being smaller and more compact perfect for a playing card. What put me off version 1 was feeling it was too big and the gimmick didn’t look right. This is much easier to handle and perform than vision box. I have vision box and as clever as I feel the gimmick is, there’s a lot more to get right with timings, alignments and angles. Where as this is a perfect retention of vision. The moment they see the card on the hand and the box empty, if performed well enough that’s all people need to see and have no reason to want to examine or inspect the box (vision box) or even give it to them - because why would they want to look at it. To them it should have just been a clear box that held a card in - that’s it.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2023, wulfiesmith wrote:

See the promo ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtWLT93lenQ

The gimmick is clear to see with some fingerprints on its surface

Does not look amazing to me, at least the video is authentic
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
You mean at 54 secs you can see finger prints? Let’s not forget David is over exaggerating the viewing and you would obviously never display it like this after the tip out. Plus your audience would not be this close as well - it’s close as it to camera close up and held there. It would literally be a case of hand someone the card after the tip as you take the lid, put it back on, box away. Plus even if there are marks on the material used, and you are conscious of it, you can easily wipe it clean.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Just got mine from them.

I made my own gaff for it out of Bicycle 1900s cards.

This device covers everything I need for my showpiece. I’ve been through them all, and the Clarity Box covers a different routine for me.

Mystery Solved 2.0 became Problem Solved 101 for me.

My only question is this. I received a couple of decks of cards as a bonus gift… The TCC “pure black“ deck that are presumably marked. It did not come with a PDF or any explanation about the markings. Does anyone know about this? I’ve emailed them, but I haven’t heard back yet.
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2023, Ron Giesecke wrote:
Just got mine from them.

I made my own gaff for it out of Bicycle 1900s cards.

This device covers everything I need for my showpiece. I’ve been through them all, and the Clarity Box covers a different routine for me.

Mystery Solved 2.0 became Problem Solved 101 for me.

My only question is this. I received a couple of decks of cards as a bonus gift… The TCC “pure black“ deck that are presumably marked. It did not come with a PDF or any explanation about the markings. Does anyone know about this? I’ve emailed them, but I haven’t heard back yet.

Just drop a message to TCC on their Facebook. They usually respond pretty quickly if it's something simple.
It's pretty similar to the NOCs but not exactly
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2023, yin_howe wrote:

Just drop a message to TCC on their Facebook. They usually respond pretty quickly if it's something simple.
It's pretty similar to the NOCs but not exactly

Thanks. I did, and got the crib for it. I like the cards, but the marking system is too laborious for me.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2023, Ron Giesecke wrote:

I like the cards, but the marking system is too laborious for me

This was also the case for me Smile
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
700 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
What's the difference between this and Paragon 3D?
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2023, dirtyfoucault wrote:
What's the difference between this and Paragon 3D?

Completely different methods. With Mystery solved, your hands end clean, but the box is not inspectable. With Paragon 3D, your hands don't end clean, but the box is inspectable. Angles are probably slightly better with Paragon, but the "move" is also slightly more difficult. I haven't performed either for real people, but I own them both. Both very clever.

Evan
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
From the demo video, one thing that seems awkward is after the dump, putting the lid back on and setting the box down sideways. I’ll assume the box cannot be set down
Upright, maybe since the box doesn’t need to be examined, putting lid in the side ( similar to color vision box ) would work if the dimensions were accommodating. The illusion looks really good. Nm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mystery solved 2.0 - David Penn (3 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL