The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading: Dealing with weirdo clients (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
Clients who become overly dependent, ficated, virtually stalkers...

I have had it happen on occasion. I usually give a hematite to the client to aid in grounding excess energy and to help them center. Then I will give them a crystal and use a guided meditation technique to help them learn how to access their inner library by focusing their consciousness on the crystal.

I've found it works for me.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
David, you do what I usually do!

I also recommend them to a colleaugue who does past life regressions. "Perhaps you have past life issues!". It gets them out of my hair, and into the hair of a not so beloved therapist!
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Ugh!

On one level you have to love this kind of patron... they equate into regular cash. However, I personally loathe the action of codependence and will not allow a client to become such.

As noted above I encourage the client that falls into this mode, to seek out another opinion. Frequently I will try to make it their idea to find a more qualified "Mental Health" counselor (It is very difficult to "tell" someone they need this kind of help without them taking offense, so I try to make it their idea.)

In my articles @ Visions and most of my other material you will see reference to a little book entitled "You Can Heal Your Life" by Louise L. Hay. I try to use her idea of positive affirmation to help people "heal" their lives as part of the Reading sessions. This helps (if they do the work) in planting the seeds of thought that compell the patron to move ahead and seek to have a more fulfilling life experience. Sad to say, there does come that time with certain personalities that I must simply put my foot down and get very direct and frank with the client. This seems cruel in many cases, but some people won't accept a subtle nudge and thus, a 2x4 smacking across the forehead is the only recourse that jars them into reality... if but for a few seconds.

When I first attempted doing Mentalism vs. Illusions I did a show in Palm Springs... in under 3 days I had nearly 20 people wanting me to be their guru... It scared the crap out of me so I ran as far in the other direction I could for some time. But, in time I've learned how to understand and respond to such reactions... it's been theraputic for both, clients and myself Smile

Best of luck!
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
A client like that requires someone who has specialized training in counselling and as such should NOT be tackled by someone that does not have that kind of training. Find someone that does have it and very gently suggest that they need to try that instead. You must lead your clients to think for themselves and to go with their own intuition.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
I get this frequently. I do a couple of things. I will only read for the same client three times (one hour sessions). At the beginning of the third session, I tell them that this will be the last time I can read for them because I now know a lot about them, from both the readings and our conversations, and the message of the cards could very well be tainted by my knowledge of them (the sitters). Understand that I do not cold read. I give a reading based upon the tenets of the tradition of the oracle I am using. So the statement that my knowledge of them might taint the readings is 100% true.

Then I teach them how to use a pendulum, so that they can answer some of their own questions, and I refer them to another reader. Usually, they will use the pendulum a little...they really want readings. I refer them to Ford Kross, as he is one of the best readers anywhere and within driving distance of my clients. Find someone in your area to refer them to, and ask that person to reciprocate whenever possible.

best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
Most of the answers are reasonable. I handle things differently. I tell them up front, that I only see people four times a year. After the fourth time I say see you next year
When they call on phone to ask a question, I charge them. This slows down phone calls
from
Ford
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Excellent thread, with that definite 'cold shower' feel of real-world experience about it! As someone only dipping their toe into this so far, and very much from the 'therapeutic' end, I'm grateful to have this advice ready in advance, for any of those "Can I join your Cult?" scenarios. Thanks all. Any comments on clients' religious convictions and how they have conflicted/meshed with reading situations?
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Mr. Secretary,
As far as client's religious convictions are concerened,, I beleive that is up to them to reconcile and not for me to address.

There are times in my readings where "spirituality" as it were, comes up. For example, the number 7 in a numerology reading has to do with spirituality.

When these things come up, and they do, I suggest that the client get in touch with their own spiritual belief system, whatever it may be, and ask it for guidance, comfort, etc.

Frequently, I don't know what their belief system is and I don't ask. I just have them get in touch with it.

Remember, that this posting does not show the context of any readings. what I say further and how I relate their spirituality to the rest of the reading depends on the rest of the numbers, cards, lines on the palm, etc.

Their spirituaity is a minor part of the reading.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
Quote:
On 2002-08-03 07:25, Mr Secret-ary wrote:
Excellent thread, with that definite 'cold shower' feel of real-world experience about it! As someone only dipping their toe into this so far, and very much from the 'therapeutic' end, I'm grateful to have this advice ready in advance, for any of those "Can I join your Cult?" scenarios. Thanks all. Any comments on clients' religious convictions and how they have conflicted/meshed with reading situations?

As part of my opening remarks at psychic gatherings, I say, if you think that what I do is the work of the devil, you probably shouldn't be here and if you all feel that way I shouldn't be here
I am not here in any way to change you beliefs, but merely to offer what abilitikes I have for you entertainment and education
from
Ford
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Love that line, Ford.

The irony of it all is that I've actually had situations in which the BAC types (just one or two that are regular patrons of a given establishment I'm working) complain to the management and rather than the managers looking at how many positive comments we've gotten or all the new people that have shown up for a Reading Experience @ the club or whathaveyou... I'm asked to leave out of fear of pickets, boycotts and media based actions against said establishment.

In Nashville I was working a steakhouse in the evenings doing mini-readings. One lady came to me practically in disguise, very nervous, etc. When I asked her what was wrong, she pointed out that she was a school teacher and if anyone recognized her and saw her getting a Reading, she could lose her job...

And all this time I thought I lived in a FREE country Smile

Guess it's more FREE for some than others... especially when religious attitudes and opinions come into the picture Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Perhaps a better way to phrase that question without refering to 'weirdos' is:

How do you deal with a querent that clearly needs more help than you are able to give? At what point does a reader become a therapist?
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
I don't agree that the peolpe who come to me for readings are coming to me as a last resort. I carry with me a list of a couple of counsellors in various areas (personal, financial, family, legal) and refer the sitter to them. I point out that if they have a health issue, they need to consult a physician, not me.

I find that, except for health issues, the sitters have not been to the proper professional and I kead them in that direction with a name and phone number.
With health issues, I find that they usually have been to the doctor and need reinforcement. I tell them to keep seeing the doctor, get a second opinion if they feel it is necessary, and to follow the doctor's advice for optimun result.

For anyone to presume that legimitate readers take on the role of financila, legal or medical counselour is wrong. Those readers who do aren't legimitate readers,and are less than professional.
best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-08-05 05:59, Uni Nor Corn wrote:
Greetings everyone

I am just a lurker on this forum but very often find great advice and information here.
I hope to try to contribute more in the future. Or maybe not, as I think it is nothing less then a disaster that the moderators here keep deleting posts written by Mark Lewis. I read the post he wrote on this thread and I cannot see a single reason why it should be deleted. Maybe the moderators here could explain themselves?
It is of course up to them to decide how to run this place but maybe they should start thinking twice about deleting posts without reason.

Best regards
Uni Nor Corn

PS: This may be the wrong thread for this. I simply choose it as it was on this thread the post had been deleted. Please move it to the correct thread if you need to. But please do not just delete it.

Smile
Smile Maybe it's because everyone around has become wise to your games Mark? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading: Dealing with weirdo clients (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL