The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opening your show with a joke effect (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I think, bottom line, if you need to ask these types of questions you need more performing experience.
Fromentum
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of Fromentum
Well, at first I pretty much agreed that the first thing in your show should be very much a establishing effect for the show. So it should match your message, persona and theatrical tone of the following effects.

But I was thinking about if a joke effect always is a bad idea if you want a serious show.(If your show is based on humor a lot then it's obviously totally fine.)

So my idea was that you could use this joke effect as a part of a theatrical arch.

Come out on stage holding a card/notepad, back to the audience - ask a spectator for a two digit number - either miracle - or mostly Fail
-----explain that it is neraly impossible to predict random thoughts - and especially numbers are very hard - you would need a lot more time to influence people to name a predicted number.
"But let me show you what is actually possible to predict - Continue with your show - have some callbacks to the theme of numbers throughout (another fail/a mind reading instead of influence effect based on numbers/a one digit prediction/An emotional number reveal like a pin telephone number with the explanation that we as mind readers need emotions and not random numbers) - And as a big finish actually do a correct prediction of a number maybe some kind of lottery prediction where you use people to name numbers because people can be influenced (but really push the narrative and go all in on pseudo influence; really act like you would try really hard to influence people; maybe give the first person a limited choice and widen it later/have numbers flashing on screens or as audio in the background/etc.)

The same could be done with reading a spectator instead of predicting the numbers which would be a completely different storyline.

I think this could work pretty well.

The importance here is that the joke works as a part of an explanation/to bash expectation or wrong beliefs. You are not able to truely read minds like your spectators might think. True Mindreading is impossible. But what is possible is *insert any explanation you like (body languag/microexpressions/etc*
The joke plays an important role in your show and gets refered to back again. It's not only there to be funny. It serves a purpose.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Just the term “A joke effect” could mean many things to many people. I still remember Max opening with the power of suggestion effect concluding with the line, “That’s your cheek.” (If you know… you know!) It got a lot of amusement from the audience and laughs as well… but at the same time proceed his power and control over people. It accomplished a lot!
Ray Pierce
DrewBstoss
View Profile
Special user
SLC, Utah
583 Posts

Profile of DrewBstoss
Hi all. Drew here. I appreciate your question Max. This has been a useful and interesting discussion so far.

I fully agree that no one should simply "plug-and-play" material--be that jokes, routines, or bits of business--simply because they see someone else have success with it. Max, initiating this thread indicates to me that you have a desire to think critically about your approach to this art/craft that we all love. Good on you!

I don't share the same opinions as some on this thread, but that is EXACTLY as it should be. I'm relieved that we aren't clones. I'll sum up my thoughts that follow by simply saying... Max, you do you.

Beginning the majority of my shows in the playful manner referenced is a very strategic and intentional choice. One that I've thought through carefully. Often, guests at my show are aware that a "mind reader" will be providing the entertainment. The introduction used to welcome me on stage enhances my credibility and often elicits a bit of nervous tension. I walk on stage and "play it straight" to further reinforce and build that tension. I want them to feel a little unnerved about the prospect of interacting with someone who can peer into their thoughts. When the audience internalizes the claim that I've predicted the PIN of a randomly selected person, I believe that many of them expect me to be successful.

The failure is more than merely a "gag" - it serves several vital purposes:

1) As George wrote, it demonstrates that I'm there to have a good time. I don't take myself too seriously and it helps level the playing field a bit between me and the audience. I've always found the "demi-god" approach to mentalism a bit off-putting, alienating, boring, and to put it bluntly...unbelievable (and not in the "mystery-bestowing" sense of the word).

2) As a few people have mentioned, the PIN often does act as a callback within my show. Those who have read my book "Architect of the Mind" will be familiar with a handful of ways that those numbers make an appearance within certain routines.

3) I use the failure to emphasize a few important concepts that I want the audience to understand about my show - not the least of which is that in the group (professional/corporate) setting, I will not target sensitive information like bank details etc. I also explain that I will be selecting people at random to eliminate the idea that I've prearranged things with anyone in attendance.

4) The failure subverts expectations. And in my opinion, that's a quality found in all captivating and memorable art/entertainment. I also strive to continue subverting expectations throughout my show.

Lastly, I am not worried that a joke/gag/failure at the top of my performance will "damage" my credibility because I have full faith in the strength of the routines that follow it. More than a decade of professional experience has proven to me that audiences leave my show having had a fun time WHILE witnessing deep mystery. I feel confident in that assertion because the vast majority of my work comes from repeat bookings and referrals. And those clients don't perceive me as a "comedian" or "magician"... they refer to me as a "mind reader".

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Drew
"The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." Neil Gaiman

Please consider subscribing to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/hmdnUX
JustJohn
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of JustJohn
I've found derivatives of Hug/Kill to be a great starting effect. It lightens the mood immediately yet still plays into the mentalism theme.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opening your show with a joke effect (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL