The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy_zoom
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Billy_zoom
Just thought I would describe my first experience doing some magic in front of some larger crowds than I am used to at a party I attended recently (ie: larger crowds being more than 1 or 2 folks).

I really did not intend on doing any tricks but thought I would bring along a couple of quickies should the opportunity arise. I grabbed my mental photography deck as well as the NFW packet trick.

I was sitting outside at a table with 4 other friends when one of them mentioned I do magic. I chuckled and pulled out the jokers for NFW. Smiling I metioned that only someone who does magic actually walks around with four jokers in their pocket.

I was a bit nervous as I personally don't think my "count" is what it could be, but as I pattered through the effect I realized I was doing one of the best counts I have ever seen myself do. The trick ended of course, with the jokers all face down. All four folks looked up at me with comments like
"Hey, that was pretty good!" and "Huh! That's wild"...

I waited about 3 seconds and said in the standard patter.. "Thanks, but ya know the hard part is finding four jokers. That's why I normally use these Aces!" and revealed the aces. Now this is where I get nervous again, because I know these guys will want to examine the cards after they pick their jaws up off the floor.

I was right.. they were totally blown away, and wanted to hold the cards. I reluctantly gave them 3 of the aces (no problem) just as the fourth guy went inside to tell everyone they had to come out and see this.

This was perfect as now I could keep the
"last" ace. One guy holding one of the other aces turned to me and said "OK, I want to know where the jokers went!" Without missing a beat (suprisingly) I said "That's easy. (Pointing to each one of them), there's 1, 2, 3, and the other one just walked inside"

I collected the cards and walked away listening to their chattering on how I could have pulled that off.

I thought, wow! They really enjoyed that, and even better, I really enjoyed entertaining them. This was a big step for me in reaffirming why I love magic.

Later I did some routines I have worked out with the MP deck to a group of about 10-12 people... I feel very comfortable with that routine and it went very smooth. When I finished, a woman told me her birthday was coming up and "I'm hired!" I thanked her and said I'd be happy to have some fun there as well.

Thing is, I'm just a newbie to this amazing art, especially performing for groups. After the party I spent the next day continuing to practice my counting techniques and daydreaming about being able to "perform" again.

I owe many thanks to the veterans here at the Cafe in building my technique and confidence. Maybe someday I'll even land a paying gig! Thanks for reading.

-Billy->h
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Billy,
Well done!
That's exactly how to begin -- and how many of us did.
Good luck.
And I like the "thinking on your feet" with the conclusion of NFW.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
Billy,

Congratulations. That first performance in front of a larger crowd is always tough but you kept your nerves under control and your wits about you. Nothing quite like a good performance to boost your confidence.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Well done.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
A 'Tip of the Top Hat' to you Billy!

Have Fun!
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
2 TT's up !

Good Job Billy Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
blurr
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of blurr
One of the best things I've read here on the Cafe! I hope all of your performances go as smooth as this one did!

Blurr
"Someday men will look back and say I was the start of the 20th century."
---Jack the Ripper
trevorsmagic
View Profile
Regular user
The U.K.
186 Posts

Profile of trevorsmagic
Billy well done friend and good luck sounds just like my first time.
Trevor Smile Smile Smile Smile
Billy_zoom
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Billy_zoom
Thanks everyone for the encouragements, I'll keep you posted on how my hopefully future performances go.

-Billy->
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Good luck next time.
Maybe when someone said you were hired, she was expecting you to discuss fees? Smile

Paul.
magiciandude
View Profile
New user
Utah
67 Posts

Profile of magiciandude
Hey awesome story Billy and I hope your next gig goes that good. And I also hope that is how my first gig will go. I am 13 after all and I have time.

Keep it up.
Lance R. Wilson
Magic is the psychology of the audience.
-Lance Wilson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL