The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter For Card Warp? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I was wondering if anyone had any patter for Card Warp.
-Tyler
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Eugene Burger has the best presentation (for someone like me, anyway). Smile
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
I do. But to be honest, it's mine. I put the work in to find out what I wanted and what fit me. I suggest you do the same. Here's some questions to get you started:

Why do you want to perform Card Warp?
What is is about the effect that appeals to you?
What do you want your audience to think during and after the effect?
How do you want your audience to react to the events that occur during the performance of the effect?
What's your character? What is he interested in?

and finally...

What is the effect of Card Warp as YOU see it?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Tyler:

Jim has given some excellent information to think about. However...Since you're looking for specifics, here are a couple of ideas: Michael Close has a routine that has to do the with a time machine, and the card going back in time as it goes through the time machine.

His routine is called "Dr. Strangetrick" and it's on one of his videos - "Too Close" is the name of the video, I believe. If you watch ebay, you can get it very cheaply now that the Michael Close videos are now on DVDs. It's also in one his "Workers" books.

The Eugene Burger routine that dpe666 mentioned in very good too. It has to do with the outside card being a torture device from the middle ages.

Hope this helps you.

Ron
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
I had an extremely political presentation I used during a past election cycle. I cast the warped card in the role of a particular polititian who was having trouble remembering what his position was on various issues. It got good reactions in front of the right audience (i.e. at events sponsored by the opposing party). I wouldn't do it in any context where I didn't already have a pretty firm idea of the political opinions of the audience...

I would second the mention of Eugene's version. Even if the presentation is not your style, locate it in his book (which book? good question, but I don't remember at the moment) and learn about how to script and structure a presentation from a master.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
zur
View Profile
Special user
California
671 Posts

Profile of zur
ETMCM had a nice presentation by Micheal Ammar
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
From somewhere?? Can`t remember where, magic magazine or outside the realm of, I believe I read that one of Albert Einstein`s theories was; that if a person could physically leave this earth, without artificial means, he would eventually return to earth on the other side, but be INSIDE OUT.

Worth thinking about as far as patter is concerned for Card Warp.

Does anyone know if Einstein really said something like this??

John
"A person who can laugh at himself, will never fail to be amused".
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
From somewhere?? Can`t remember where, magic magazine or outside the realm of, I believe I read that one of Albert Einstein`s theories was; that if a person could physically leave this earth, without artificial means, he would eventually return to earth on the other side, but be INSIDE OUT.

Worth thinking about as far as patter is concerned for Card Warp.

Does anyone know if Einstein really said something like this??

John
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26903 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Albert Einstein was not known to make statements about people turning inside out. He was a very conservative physicist.

Were a person to become immune to gravity, they would fly off the Earth at about three thousand mile per hour, and likely not return as the sun is also in a slow orbit in our galaxy, and would not return to exactly the same place a year later.

As to turning inside out... no clues on that one. That's the kind of thing that requires a rotation on an extra dimension, which as yet seems to be more a mathematical idea than something detected in experiments. Sorry, in this case you can't use time as the extra dimension.

If you'd like to posit an extra dimension for the sake of the card trick... go for it.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
full circle
View Profile
New user
Pascagoula, Ms.
53 Posts

Profile of full circle
Thanks for the physics lesson Jonathan, although I didn`t need it. I was attempting to provide interesting patter for Card Warp in Tyler`s question.

I didn`t say it was a fact that Einstein said it. I was asking if anyone had heard of any of his THEORIES, or as you said " a mathematical idea", similar to that one, nor did I say that the person would return to earth in a year, I said eventually. Anyway Einstein is not the subject here, just interesting patter for a great trick.
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Thanks guy for all of the input. Keep it coming if you have any more. That was a funny yet interesting patter for Card Warp RBerteig.
-Tyler
RBerteig
View Profile
Regular user
Monrovia, California
146 Posts

Profile of RBerteig
Other inspirations that leap to mind include:

There is a novel by Roger Zelazny that involves an alien device that causes objects passed through to undergo mirror reversals. The hero went through by accident, and was able to survive some nasty situations by having "non-standard" anatomy. Of course food wasn't nutritious (read up on isomers for the gory details) so he had to repeat the experience before his luck ran out...

Alice had some fun on the other side of a looking glass once...

Also, it is surprising just how strongly some laymen react to destroying a playing card. It seems that as magicians, we get blasé about cards. After all, we buy them by the gross (there's a joke there I'm not touching Smile ) and discard decks when the get worn. But most people don't do that; they keep the same deck around until its so worn its almost a marked deck.

So, find a receptive small audience, and do Card Warp SILENT. Be deliberate. Pause for gasps and reaction. Show everything cleanly. Use your favorite form; I use Eugene's handling with two cards and tearing to end completely clean, but that is just a detail. The key is to find the receptive victim, and milk their reactions to the wanton descruction of a card. (Or wonton destruction, but that smells like a different trick!)

Ultimately, the presentation you pick must fit your stage character. I often do Eugene's version (A chapter from The History of Religion as Told With a Deck of Playing Cards: Chapter XII, The Inquisition) because my character is just creepy enough, and I have almost enough beard to channel Eugene on occasion.

Incidentally, IMHO learning a published presentation and using it in your performance is similar to an actor performing plays written by a playwrite. While I strive to write my own presentations from scratch, that is a goal and not a mandate. When a published routine can be adapted (often just by pace, tone, expression and possibly the occasional choice of wording) then you benefit from skills that you need not have yourself to be a successful performer. After all, most actors never write plays. Many comics use writers. Most singers buy songs from songwriters. But in all cases, selecting material that is right for the performer's character is critical.
Ross Berteig
Wizards in my Parlor
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I have a carp warp routine I call the Iith of Ooth.
This is one I'd rather not share the routine.
Got to keep some thing your own...
Daniel Faith
Cartelli
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of Cartelli
For me, no special patter ist best. I only comment what I am doing, and point to the impossiblity of turning inside-out in the flat two dimenions.
That gets great reaktions and focuses direkt to the effect.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
John writes: "Does anyone know if Einstein really said something like this??"

Actually, what Einstein said was, "I drive a Buick and like peanut butter sandwiches."

Of course, that was Louis Einstein, not the other guy! Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-08-22 07:24, Peter Marucci wrote:
John writes: "Does anyone know if Einstein really said something like this??"

Actually, what Einstein said was, "I drive a Buick and like peanut butter sandwiches."

Of course, that was Louis Einstein, not the other guy! Smile

Peter, you are soooooooooo clever. I love your posts!!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter For Card Warp? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL