The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anything out there other than Audio Ape??? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt71
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Matt71
I reacently have been trying to work with the Audio Ape free app, but it is lousy! It doesn’t save settings, and won’t allow me to use a Bluetooth controller. I get it, they have to make money, so I go on their site and buy a handheld controller like the app suggests, but it only works with their $1100 system. I live in Canada, so the handheld cost me over $200 CND, I had to pay $35 in duty, and now they tell me that I’m the stupid one and have to pay for the return postage. Oh, but their robust system will “solve all my problems”. Man, if they can’t get a free app to work in my iPad Pro, I’m not gonna throw $1000 plus down the drain based on that track record.

Is there anything else out there?
davereubens
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, UK
4 Posts

Profile of davereubens
I'm not sure if it helps but I recently used a cheap reliable Bluetooth controller from eBay with QLab by installing a free keymapper for my Mac. I used a keymapper called Karabiner-Elements (Google it) and set one of the Bluetooth buttons to act as Spacebar. As long as QLab is the active software, it'll trigger the next cue. You can map other Bluetooth controller buttons to whatever keyboard shortcut you want in the same way to get more control over QLab. It was really quick to setup and worked first time.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
We’re really talking about two different things. The remote controller and the music (and possibly Video) playback system. For me, the Audio Ape Remote is currently the best I’ve found to trigger the playback system. For my large shows which needed Audio, Video, Lighting and frequently Show Control devices I have used the CSC show control system for PC for decades which was around LONG before Q Lab existed. To be fair, Q Lab has some more features and is the de facto standard for most people today. For my smaller shows that just need audio, I still use an iOS app called Go Button which is made by the same company as Q Lab but more practical for just audio. It is very programmable and perfect for what I do in most cases.
Ray Pierce
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's something that I've heard about, but haven't used.

It's called Flic 2. It's a smart button.

https://flic.io/

https://flic.io/all-functions

https://flic.io/shop

They even sell a metal clip for it (see accessories).

You'll have to do your own homework to see which components you actually need to get started. I think that you can get away with just the button for some uses, but for some other uses you'll need to get the kit with the additional hub.

There are also review / tutorial videos on YouTube.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2023, Donald Dunphy wrote:

There are also review / tutorial videos on YouTube.

- Donald

This video clip shows someone using a Flic (smart button) to control music on their smartphone while driving. I think it's the first generation Flic shown in the video.

The link is to a specific spot in a YouTube video, where this is demoed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpaNU3xrYiA&t=38s

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The Flic would be good to use in the home or car as it appears to use a Bluetooth signal but I’m not sure I would trust it on stage unless you’re right next to your table or whatever you’re controlling.
Ray Pierce
magicalmrm
View Profile
New user
Portland, OR
2 Posts

Profile of magicalmrm
The Flic2 with Go Button is amazing. You can do three commands with this button - single click, double click, and hold. I have them set up as single click (play/pause), double click (advance), and hold (previous). This is all I need as a single performer. I run Go Button off my iPhone. The Bluetooth range is amazing. I use the clip to attach the button to my pants and painted it black to blend in. Hanging outside my black pants, it is nearly invisible. The button is nice and big making it easy to control. At a price under $50 for the Flic2 and the free Go Button app, you can’t beat it!
The Magical Mr. M
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
There are four main options available at the moment
- Audio Ape https://audioaperemote.com/
- Live show Control/MediaStar https://liveshowcontrol.com/
- Solo https://www.solosfx.com/
- Bluetooth (NOT REALLY AN OPTION)

There are also discontinued products on used market. Audio Ape and Live Control are similar, basically remote that can be used with variety apps. What makes them so highly valued is their reliability. Most performers want to be 100% sure that when they press the button, the signal goes thru each and every time and both do this, although Audio Ape does this more reliably of the two since mediastar uses radiowave that can be also used by microphones. A friend had gig where frequency was reserved by mic and mediastar didn't work at all.

Solo on the other hand uses RFID chips that allow new ways to trigger ones music and ques but lacks even basic options as volume up or down since it doesn't work with remote.

Bluetooth simply isn't an option if one intends to have music in their act that must be triggered at certain times since bluetooth isn't reliable. Lots of devices and signals in room and you might have to press multiple times to get the signal thru. If you have very basic needs like walk in or out music, then bluetooth is enough assuming that distance between your player is at most few meters. But if you have more specially targetted ques like "ta da's" or music starting at very spesific spots in act, bluetooth is disaster waiting to happen.

I personally have 21 sounds/musics in my 40min act and I coudnt imagine doing my act with bluetooth. I use Audio Ape Pro and although I have to admit that it is pain to set up as Android user (as it is made for Apple family) once it is set up it hasnt failed me once in the 1,5 years I have had it. That reliability is something I am willing to pay for.

Juha-Matti
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Seeking advice on adding audio to my performances. Audience size presently less than 50

Audio Ape controller - seems the best choice
Now the confusion:
Audio Ape free app on iPad controlling the music on the iPad vs
Audio Ape Pro as stand alone music ( w playlists on the sd card) vs
Audio Ape controller to Go Button app controlling music on the iPad vs
Audio Ape controller to Audio Ape Pro controlling Go Button or Q Labs.

I’m so confused
rs-magic
View Profile
New user
Texas
16 Posts

Profile of rs-magic
I saw someone give a demo on using the Go Button app. He was controlling it with an Audio Ape remote, however, Audio Ape customer service told me that to be able to use the remote, I would need to purchase the entire Audio Ape system ($900). Is that typically the cost to be able to use the Audio Ape remote with other software?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anything out there other than Audio Ape??? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL