The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » NEED HELP tracing back origin of Badlands Bob die in box trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

justbill
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of justbill
I can't seem to find any info on these tricks but think they might be earlier tricks that developed into the Badlands Bob box:

Ed Mellon is often credited with the creation of the trick known as "Coyote's Capsule." This effect is very similar to Badlands Bob, and it involves a small wooden box and a single die. The spectator chooses a number, and the magician is able to reveal the chosen number on top of the die inside the box.

Jack Chanin is sometimes credited with the creation of the trick known as "The Lota Bowl and Dice." This effect also uses a single die and a small box, and the spectator chooses a number that is revealed on the die inside the box.

Don Alan is often associated with a version of the trick known as "The Chop Cup and Dice." This effect uses a cup and a single die, and the spectator's chosen number is revealed on the top of the die inside the cup.

Anyone know the origins of Badlands Bob OR have any info i.e. which old books I can reference to research these tricks more?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello justbill,

I'd suggest contacting George Robinson at Viking/CW. As I recall CW (Nick & Rich) had a cottage industry type guy making Badlands Bob from whom they purchased stock for resale.

His output was relatively slow (and low). When George bought CW he placed a couple of orders with this supplier and just wasn't satisfied with the time thing, sooo George bought the rights to the apparatus from the cottage industry guy and began making them himself.

I don't know how this fits with the origin of the trick, but it is a place to start.

Julie
justbill
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of justbill
Thanks, Julie. I'll see what I can find out from them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » NEED HELP tracing back origin of Badlands Bob die in box trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL