The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Harry Lorayne died this morning. 96 year. (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Sad news. He was a true legend in cardmagic.
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
Wow, so sad to hear. I just had a dream about him the other night. I asked, "Can I ask you a question?" He said, "No."

Memory eternal.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I am so sorry to hear that. I have fond memories of Harry at the NYC Saturday hangout at Rubens deli, sitting with Ken Krenzel, Gene Maze, and others, asking everyone if they had something for Apocalypse. Always willing to help the young guys, and ready to perform anything if asked. A massive loss for Magic. R.I.P.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
tenchu
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1120 Posts

Profile of tenchu
Rest in peace, Mr. Lorayne.

Mike
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
389 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
Such a loss. Such a magic icon. Really going to miss him.
He published my first effects as a teenager. Larger than life, Such knowledge, wisdom and taste.
Harry, Gene, Sol, Gerald, Mike, Lou, Bob, Bob, Alan, Derek just to name a few all gone.
Harry was a complete era unto himself. While deeply sad I’m beyond blessed to have lived through it.
Maybe Doug will write a book about that time, fingers crossed.
If anyone hears of a service please post.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Very sorry to hear this. Rest in peace, Harry. A legend indeed.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
He was definitely one of a kind. RIP Harry.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes indeed, he was.

An interesting guy for sure, a true New Yorker as to attitude and tenacity…with a pitbull’s fighting spirit! Quite an expert in his field and art with unbridled confidence in himself and his offerings. Hard to argue with his works or with him most times, as it were.

Yep, an interesting guy that has left a lasting trail, much more than not, of the good stuff.

RIP HaLo
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Very sad. Brought a lot of magic to the world.
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Loved the man and the magic. A New York brother. Will be missed forever.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Sad day. Big loss for magic, bigger loss for his family. Harry’s work probably shows up in the repertoire of every magician at some point. That’s a living testimony to his worth to the magic community, and he will live on as a result.

I take satisfaction in knowing that in recent years I assisted Harry in getting many of his works removed from unauthorized websites. He was appreciative and thanked me. I told him I could do it 100 times over and still be in his debt.

That’s how much he meant.

Harry truly was “the good stuff”!
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
An article on harry has been published by the new york times today.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/07/arts/......ead.html
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Harry was a dynamo. Here he is at 4F in 1991 at the top of his game.

https://vimeo.com/815754196/1851ac2076

Mike
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
That was cool. His performing/showmanship abilities were amazing. He was fun to watch
ssibal
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of ssibal
Great performer and even greater teacher!
jsbosco
View Profile
New user
Detroit, MI
64 Posts

Profile of jsbosco
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2023, Mike Powers wrote:
Harry was a dynamo. Here he is at 4F in 1991 at the top of his game.

https://vimeo.com/815754196/1851ac2076

Mike

Did he ever make his mistake?
mysticmelville
View Profile
New user
Scotland
51 Posts

Profile of mysticmelville
That is very sad news. My first book was his “Close up Card Magic”.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2023, mysticmelville wrote:
That is very sad news. My first book was his “Close up Card Magic”.

You're in great company as that book was the primer that got a lot of magicians started. That, and his "The Magic Book", are two books which have stood the test of time.

If you are feeling nostalgic and want to hear some really interesting and often funny stories, go to Harry's website and go to the "Interviews" tab where you'll find some videos made fairly recently. Harry talks about growing up in poverty, how he came up with his memory system and of course his card magic and memory careers. Definitely "good stuff".

Also, you'll find many of his books and videos including the last one, "Essential Harry Lorayne". If you currently own nothing of his, that would be a great start. They have it offered as a book or a bundle which includes the book and a DVD featuring performance-only of all of the effects.

In his absence, his son and daughter-in-law will continue to provide his works to the magic community.

Sounds ironic, given the subject, but when it comes to Harry, may we never forget!
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Very, very sad to hear this. You were, are and will be my Best Ever inspiration and resource in magic. Rest in peace legendary Master.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
So sad to hear the new. An inspiration to many magicians. He will be missed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Harry Lorayne died this morning. 96 year. (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL