The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Equation for the day of the week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I'm aware that there is numerous systems for figuring out the day of the week at a
specific date, I've never bothered to learn any of them.

I find myself in need of being able to define a birthday fairly quickly mentally.

Because it's just for birthdays only 1910 to 2022 is important, can anyone recommend a
formula to figure out this date quickly?

Feel free to post here or pm me, thanks.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2023, Fedora wrote:
Because it's just for birthdays only 1910 to 2022 is important, can anyone recommend a

By "figure out this date quickly", do you mean you want to know the day of week based on the calendar date?

The typical way you determine the day from the date is through an equation which takes into account the Month, Date, and year:

Day of Week = Month Code + Date + Year Code (Mod 7)

In your desired range, you still have to deal with each of these variables. So I don't see a way to simplify the approach.
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1609 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2023, FrankFindley wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2023, Fedora wrote:

By "figure out this date quickly", do you mean you want to know the day of week based on the calendar date?

The typical way you determine the day from the date is through an equation which takes into account the Month, Date, and year:

Day of Week = Month Code + Date + Year Code (Mod 7)

In your desired range, you still have to deal with each of these variables. So I don't see a way to simplify the approach.

Yes, that's the standard approach. The Year codes are simple enough and, with the method I use, the 20th century (19xx) doesn't require a year code (i.e., it is zero). The other thing you always have to take into account is a correction for leap years.

Mike
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Has to be Day One by Scott Cram ...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Equation for the day of the week (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL