The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Booking "practice gigs" at retirement homes (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Rehearsing a mentalism show is VERY difficult without a live audience to volunteer and react. I've been told to book "practice gigs" at local retirement homes. By "practice gig" I mean I would do my full professional show but the pay would be little or nothing, I would just be doing the shows to get more "flight time" on stage and practice my act. I'd like get some advice from people who have booked gigs like that at local retirement homes. How do you choose which retirement homes to perform at? Who do you contact? What is your "pitch?" And so on ...

Thanks in advance! Steve
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
It was quite easy to get booked as a free show. It seems there is a lack of entertainment in my area. I only have done about a dozen of these shows.

I always just asked for an activities director.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well you play the game the way you practice.

Just because you have an “audience” of sorts in no way means you who get “fight time” that is valuable in the least.

What do you think you will learn from these types of audiences?

Often it is a waste of time in that respect. Doing them for the residences as an act of kindness is certainly a worthwhile endeavor. But you will actually set yourself back if you think this will help you to learn to perform.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2023, Investigative Mentalist wrote:
Rehearsing a mentalism show is VERY difficult without a live audience to volunteer and react. I've been told to book "practice gigs" at local retirement homes. By "practice gig" I mean I would do my full professional show but the pay would be little or nothing, I would just be doing the shows to get more "flight time" on stage and practice my act. I'd like get some advice from people who have booked gigs like that at local retirement homes. How do you choose which retirement homes to perform at? Who do you contact? What is your "pitch?" And so on ...

Thanks in advance! Steve

Retirement Homes come in all shapes and sizes. All Facilities are not the same. And for what you want, doing it for a mentalism show practice, you need the most active groups. For the most part, the residents make a great audience for magic. But we old folks can be slow thinkers at times. (lol) Talk to the activities director and let’em know what you doing, they can point you to the sharpest minds. But don’t be afraid to use the younger staff for some routines, the audience will love that even more.

Tom
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
You may want to contact David Dellman, he has performed at retirement communities and might
be able to give you some tips on the matter.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 22, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:

Just because you have an “audience” of sorts in no way means you who get “fight time” that is valuable in the least.

Often it is a waste of time in that respect. Doing them for the residences as an act of kindness is certainly a worthwhile endeavor. But you will actually set yourself back if you think this will help you to learn to perform.

I get what you are saying, and I have actually done one retirement show in the past and I also thought it was a waste of time due to lack of response. But that was more of a "nursing home" and the people were in very poor health.
They reached out to hire me, I did not reach out to them. That's why I am looking for advice on how to find retirement homes with a more "lively" audience.

As I am rehearsing for a big paid show I have coming up next week, it is difficult to practice using my poor wife pretending to be several different people over and over again.

So ANY kind of live audience is better than no audience. That's why I changed my mind about retirement center shows.

I treat every show rehearsal as if it is REAL, even if it is just my wife in the rec room. So regardless of the feedback I get from the retirement center crowd I will treat it as if I am performing for 100-200 people at a corporate gig.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I understand what you are saying and the whys behind it. Magicians often use the term "retirement homes" as a very general term similar to how they refer to "schools." In reality there are K-5, Middle school or junior high, high schools, K-8, and of course colleges. Then within the school market there are nearly 20 different types of school performances, presentations and events including orientations, assemblies, fundraisers, year-end events, teacher in-service events, and so on.

Same for senior events. There are nursing homes, convalescent homes, retirement homes, assisted living homes, independent living hones, hospice, 55 & over communities, senior expos, and so many more. So the first step is some basic knowledge and education as to these and the differences to determine which are best for you and your type of performance. Stay away from direct care or dependent facilities.

I agree, find ones where the staff can attend and participate (I'd even say suggest it),

As someone who has booked thousands of these over the last 45 years, they can be a decent (low-paying) market for the purpose you are proposing. I have myself even toured nationally at 55 & over venues and communities, some even paying $1,500-$2,000 per show if you know the right stuff. One of my favorite press and media stories was a 4-full page color photo feature spread on one of these shows.

Like any other performing market learn beyond just the surface level as this is where many misperceptions and much misinformation exist.

The Activities Director is the proper contact (but the are very low-level positions on their totem pole with very high turnover rates.) Remember, this is a consumer market so consumer mentalities previal.

Only target the ones and types most appropriate for your type of performance. Be sure sound is good as hearing can be a problem as well as being careful not to be too loud (always do a proper soundcheck.)

Learn what you can about the senior market (but not from magicians) and you may find it kind of rewarding...and your wife will appreciate it too. Best of luck!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2023, Investigative Mentalist wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:

I get what you are saying, and I have actually done one retirement show in the past and I also thought it was a waste of time due to lack of response. But that was more of a "nursing home" and the people were in very poor health.
They reached out to hire me, I did not reach out to them. That's why I am looking for advice on how to find retirement homes with a more "lively" audience.

As I am rehearsing for a big paid show I have coming up next week, it is difficult to practice using my poor wife pretending to be several different people over and over again.

So ANY kind of live audience is better than no audience. That's why I changed my mind about retirement center shows.

I treat every show rehearsal as if it is REAL, even if it is just my wife in the rec room. So regardless of the feedback I get from the retirement center crowd I will treat it as if I am performing for 100-200 people at a corporate gig.

Here is where everyone gets it wrong. Any audience is absolutely not better than no audience. If you got what I was saying you would understand this lol.

It isn’t about any of the things you mention.

You are going to completely throw off your timing and look silly on stage when you do it for a lively crowd. It is that simple.

It is why professional baseball players don’t play softball for fun generally.

This will set you further back than move you forward if you are in the learning stages.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
You might consider seeing if there are any condos around your area. Last year we moved into a condo complex and we've a nice great room, theater room, and game room. They're always looking for social events. So in order to get some practice I offered to do an evening of close-up in the game room.

The audience may (depending on condo complex) may be more like your target audience. See if any of your friends live in such a complex (Apartments might work too. We've an apartment building next to us that has various social events).

Lastly, Open mics might be an option. Magic Clubs. And if you know anyone who owns are works at restaurant or bar, might let you do a night for free.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There is a right way and a wrong way to gain performing experience. The right way is positive and productive and works towards progressing your knowledge and experience. The wrong ways (there are many) can do more damage than good, work against you, create frustration, and not be productive or beneficial at all.

It was for these exact reasons I wrote the books "Getting Initial Performing Experience & Stage Time - A Guide To Getting Your First Performance Opportunities" and "15 Tips For Successful Open Mic Performances." These show the best ways to get performing experience, in the right context, in an appropriate and proper performance settings, with the best performance dynamics, right in your home area. These books break down everything and show you what to look for in the proper performance environments. It also tells you what to stay away from and why. It shows you where to find these right in your own home area, and how to best utilize these performances and performance venues.

They also dispel the many misperceptions and misinformation that exist about these performance opportunities and venues. It shows how to get the most out of them and even how they can lead to paid performances.

At no time is this more important than in the beginning.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
As for as having a better audience at the ‘nursing’ homes to play to, you can always invite staff and family members to sit in on the show.

Back when I worked the retirement homes the shows were free for the facilities, I had sponsors pay me because I got paid more doing it that way. With the ‘nursing’ homes where the audiences aren’t always wide awake, I would have them display a poster inside the facility before the show date inviting family members of the residents to visit that day and watch the show. This made it a special day for everybody.

Also, at times I would arrange for a small nearby class of preschoolers or lower elementary school kids to meet me there. This worked great for Special Holidays like Grandparents Day or Christmas. The kids would sit on the floor up front and the residents love watching the kids as much as the show.

Tom
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I love the fact that you're willing to get out there.

Personally, if you need a place to be bad, do it for friends and family, or people who are most like your target audience, or on the path to it (such as, strolling in a fancy restaurant to train for strolling at corporate events)

Think of it like training in the gym. You start small and you become.

Otherwise, I just quit a small restaurant I was doing. Not because it wasn't good practice ground, but because in the long run the venue was holding me back and I could be other places than there leveling up.

When you're ready, people will be asking you to join them other places. So go start, but don't be complacent and have metrics for how you can keep moving and growing.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think some here have lost sight of the OP wanting to perform mentalism. Some of the advice offered (kids, magic clubs, nursing, etc.) would work greatly against mentalism as he expressed.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Depending on the magic club, it may not be good "performing" experience, but it can be a great "workshopping" experience; getting feedback, observations, new ideas, etc.

Also club members can help give you leads on where you might perform.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree that mentalism would not work for kids. I wasn’t suggesting HE invite kids to his show. Only making the point that there is nothing wrong with adding others to the audience in some instances.

But having a good deal of experience with Preschools and Convalescent Homes, I will say that if you can’t work with kids, you’re probably not a good fit for the ‘nursing’ home audience either. (It takes a particular type of person for either) The pure ‘Retirement’ homes can be a better audience but even there it would be a gamble without some staff backup helpers. And keep in mind, there is a lot less staff on duty with the ‘Retirement’ type centers.

That said, the senior centers can be a great audience for the right entertainment.

Yes Magic clubs would be a great place to get more info since some clubs (or members) do perform at the local senior centers.

Other local (business, men, women) clubs that meet regularly are a good choice to perform for practice.

Tom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I would think twice before working for groups of local business owners like this. You are by definition not showing them your best and admitting it. No other business operates like that and you are forever going to be remembered like they see you here.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, this is very similar to the advice I offered Fedora (what's happened to him lately?) in the thread about getting on preferred vendor lists, where I explained going out in front of local businesses and the potential business community prospects before you are truly market-ready (in your business and performance) can cause a poor and memorable first impression and then create a poor lasting impression of you in your own home market.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nobody should see the magician learn.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On May 1, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
Yeah, this is very similar to the advice I offered Fedora (what's happened to him lately?)

I'm around, I just had a particularly complicated gig on the weekend that took a lot of my time to prepare for.

On the topic, you will probably have better crowds in 55 plus communities,
not sure how many of those are in Seattle, but I live relatively close to sun city/surprise
which are essentially retirement cities, there's a 55+ every couple of blocks.

the folks in those places are always looking for free/cheap things to do, just offer and
they'll probably jump at the chance.

One other thing investigative mentalist, didn't you say in a recent thread that you booked a
show for $2000? I believe it was the thread about getting paid up front.

Seems odd to me to accept shows at that price, and still be looking for a practice audience,
just a thought.

It may be better to take whatever sort of shows your booking, look at the sort of audience
you'll be performing for, and practice for folks more similar to them. (If it's a corporate
booking, the audience make up will be different from a retirement home.)

Best of luck to you.
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Special user
Seattle, WA
565 Posts

Quote:
On May 1, 2023, Fedora wrote:
Quote:
On May 1, 2023, Mindpro wrote:
Yeah, this is very similar to the advice I offered Fedora (what's happened to him lately?)

I'm around, I just had a particularly complicated gig on the weekend that took a lot of my time to prepare for.

On the topic, you will probably have better crowds in 55 plus communities,
not sure how many of those are in Seattle, but I live relatively close to sun city/surprise
which are essentially retirement cities, there's a 55+ every couple of blocks.

the folks in those places are always looking for free/cheap things to do, just offer and
they'll probably jump at the chance.

One other thing investigative mentalist, didn't you say in a recent thread that you booked a
show for $2000? I believe it was the thread about getting paid up front.

Seems odd to me to accept shows at that price, and still be looking for a practice audience,
just a thought.

It may be better to take whatever sort of shows your booking, look at the sort of audience
you'll be performing for, and practice for folks more similar to them. (If it's a corporate
booking, the audience make up will be different from a retirement home.)

Best of luck to you.

I just got home from doing that $2,000 gig in Anchorage Alaska. They also paid for my flight and hotel. So I am already a "professional performer," I have done several corporate gigs over the past few years.

I may not have been clear about that. I am NOT a "beginner" trying to learn how to perform. I already have a polished professional act.

I'm just looking for a way to practice more often with a "real" audience between paid gigs.

Unlike magic, you need real feedback from real people to properly perform mentalism.

My wife is tired of pretending to be volunteers in rehearsals, and peforming for friends and family is OK but they don't want to do it every week.

I hope that makes more sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Booking "practice gigs" at retirement homes (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL