The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Presentation the Twistin the Aces effect (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Doc Dalyes last is awesome. Nick Trost has a great variation whatever volume the purple book is, and it is also in the last Magic magazine, the big white one.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
Quote:
On May 9, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:
Do you know Dai Vernon's original presentation?

Thanks!

It’s in Vernon’s More Inner Secrets of Card Magic.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On May 8, 2023, Bob G wrote:
Hi Warren,

Is it possible you gave us the wrong starting time? I started at 1.44 and didn't see any twisting.

Thanks,

Bob

oops I gave the wrong link ha ha I'll post it again ....sorry to those that clicked the link.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Here's the correct link for my presentation of twisting the aces it starts at 1.28.....apologies for the wrong link.

https://youtu.be/klqUqMV9FY8
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, shaunluttin wrote:
I've worked on a presentation in which I "peak" at the cards as a way of cheating. I think it has legs but could use a bit more work. Feel free to run with it. I have thought also of doing it as a way of pretending to reveal, tongue in cheek, the "secret markings" on the back of the cards, like, as I reveal one face up I say, "Can you see the marks on this five of clubs... it's only visible from the right angle..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDQfiA4i3js

P.S. I'm looking for a forum these days, perhaps invite only, on which to have serious conversation about Steve Forte's GSOH material. Suggestions?

Very nice. Thanks.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
After doing those you do an eight card assembly. I would recommend Steve Reynolds from Speeding Bullets by Jon Racherbaumer
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:
What presentation do you use for the Twistin the Aces effect?

I use Ammar's presentation but I would love to know others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDciO3AtvpQ

Thanks!

I recently wrote a blog article about this very topic (no video, I'm afraid):

Twisting the Aces Three Ways

In it, I discuss the three different presentations that I use. I'm a great advocate for having more than one presentation for the same trick. I also think Shaun's presentation works well and gets a great reaction from a live audience. Thanks for sharing your performance, Shaun. Like Warren, I've also played around with shaking the cards rather than twisting them. I also enjoyed Ed's rendition. The small action hiding a big one is a fun bit of nonsense.

I also sometimes perform the trick with the Ace, Two, Three and Four of Diamonds to make the magic easier to follow. When I do this, I sometimes get a spectator to sign their name on the blank portion of the Four. I tell them that this transfers some of their personality to the card, which makes it impossible for me to twist it face up (this idea belongs to Simon Lovell). When they try, in their own hands, they're successful. I then transform the Two, Three and Four into the other three Aces and perform Dr Daley's Last Trick. Or I sometimes perform a trick of mine called Underambitious (you can learn this for FREE in my Ruseletter).

Marty
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On May 12, 2023, martyjacobs wrote:
Quote:
On May 7, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:
What presentation do you use for the Twistin the Aces effect?

I use Ammar's presentation but I would love to know others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDciO3AtvpQ

Thanks!

I recently wrote a blog article about this very topic (no video, I'm afraid):

Twisting the Aces Three Ways

In it, I discuss the three different presentations that I use. I'm a great advocate for having more than one presentation for the same trick. I also think Shaun's presentation works well and gets a great reaction from a live audience. Thanks for sharing your performance, Shaun. Like Warren, I've also played around with shaking the cards rather than twisting them. I also enjoyed Ed's rendition. The small action hiding a big one is a fun bit of nonsense.

I also sometimes perform the trick with the Ace, Two, Three and Four of Diamonds to make the magic easier to follow. When I do this, I sometimes get a spectator to sign their name on the blank portion of the Four. I tell them that this transfers some of their personality to the card, which makes it impossible for me to twist it face up (this idea belongs to Simon Lovell). When they try, in their own hands, they're successful. I then transform the Two, Three and Four into the other three Aces and perform Dr Daley's Last Trick. Or I sometimes perform a trick of mine called Underambitious (you can learn this for FREE in my Ruseletter).

Thank you for sharing these beautiful videos on your blog.

Tamariz's performance is very impressive and amazing!!

Another point that in my opinion needs to be justified is when it's me who turns the ace of clubs face down, unlike the other aces.

What do you think?

Thanks!
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Quote:
On May 12, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:

Another point that in my opinion needs to be justified is when it's me who turns the ace of clubs face down, unlike the other aces.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Yes, the performances by Tamartiz and Ekaterina are great examples of how to perform the trick and involve your audience in the magical happenings.

Regarding the Ace of Clubs turnover, I think there are two ways of dealing with it if you're using Vernon's original handling. The first is to perform it without comment, as a matter of fact. Or you can draw attention to it and even turn it into a joke, e.g., "Would you like to see the Ace of Clubs turn over visibly?"

Suppose you're willing to modify Vernon's handling (heresy!). In that case, you can avoid the turnover by performing an extra ambitious card effect (I usually do this after performing "Underambitious" as a callback effect) or by introducing a discrepancy (something I saw Gerry Griffin do in one of his videos). I won't go into the details here, but I plan to write up the different handlings I use. I also want to produce a video tutorial for the Tongue Change, which allows you to perform the final turnover with the Ace of Spades out-jogged from the packet.

Marty
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2023, Pyppo100 wrote:

What do you think?

Thanks!

Yes, the performances by Tamartiz and Ekaterina are great examples of how to perform the trick and involve your audience in the magical happenings.

Regarding the Ace of Clubs turnover, I think there are two ways of dealing with it if you're using Vernon's original handling. The first is to perform it without comment, as a matter of fact. Or you can draw attention to it and even turn it into a joke, e.g., "Would you like to see the Ace of Clubs turn over visibly?"

Suppose you're willing to modify Vernon's handling (heresy!). In that case, you can avoid the turnover by performing an extra ambitious card effect (I usually do this after performing "Underambitious" as a callback effect) or by introducing a discrepancy (something I saw Gerry Griffin do in one of his videos). I won't go into the details here, but I plan to write up the different handlings I use. I also want to produce a video tutorial for the Tongue Change, which allows you to perform the final turnover with the Ace of Spades out-jogged from the packet.

I was thinking something like this, saying: "And even if I turn the ace of clubs face down (indicating it with the last card I have left in my hand before placing it on the bottom of the pile), the ace of diamonds will still turn face up"...

... but your suggestion is probably better.

What do you think?

PS -
As soon as possible I will study your "Underambitious" effect.

Thanks!
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Yes, that line works, even though it doesn't make much sense. I actually like lines like that. Use what works best for you and your style of presentation.

Marty
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
Yes, that line works, even though it doesn't make much sense. I actually like lines like that. Use what works best for you and your style of presentation.

Marty

You have a private message! ;-)

Thanks
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

I just replied! Smile
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
I use this introduction: “A few years ago card magicians ran a contest to see who could do the most magic with just four cards. Would you like to see the winner?”
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have never been comfortable with the "setup' moves. In particular, the second one. It just seems odd to me (unless suitably justified).
Going hand-in-hand with that, I don't like the typical script talking about different ways to turn over a card (eg. Michael Ammar, but also LOTS of others). I worry this draws attention to the funny move, even whilst trying to justify it.

So I really like Shaun's approach because the motivation is to compare the backs of two cards. (And it also provides a coherent rationale for the rest of the routine. WHY does a magician want to turn over each card?). I think it is a stroke of genius to start by turning a card face down instead of face up.

Ekatarina does the same thing in reverse. She shows the faces of two cards. The emphasis is on comparing the two cards, NOT on how she handles them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjwRXlgKtgw
Also there is an internal logic to her presentation - the AS is the "heavy" Ace, so the only one that didn't "rise". It ends with the AS turning over in the spectator's hands.

Paul Gordon starts by flipping over the Ace of Spades, and explaining that it is often known as the leader Ace. He then rotates his wrist to show the red Ace on the bottom of the packet, comparing the size of the pips. Having explained this, he is ready to start Twisting The Aces. So, as in the two examples above, his handling has an apparent purpose that does not focus on the fact that he is turning cards over.
Pyppo100
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On May 23, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:
I have never been comfortable with the "setup' moves. In particular, the second one. It just seems odd to me (unless suitably justified).
Going hand-in-hand with that, I don't like the typical script talking about different ways to turn over a card (eg. Michael Ammar, but also LOTS of others). I worry this draws attention to the funny move, even whilst trying to justify it.

I also studied Twistin the Aces from Roberto Giobbi's DVD "Card College 1&2": do you know it?

Giobbi presents his own effect with the various ways of turning over a card, but the secret move is very natural...

Thanks!
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1172 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have the books, but not the DVD.

Thinking a bit more about the handling of the setup, I have realised that the bottom card of the packet (typically either red Ace) will be the third one twisted; and the third card down (typically the Ace of Spades) is the last card twisted. So if you had two spectators, you could say "this will be your card, and this will be your card" as you perform the funny setup move. Then have one spec twist the 3rd card, and the other twist the final card.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
3 complementary ideas : 1) Introduce it as the simplest possible experience : « you kwow what is the simplest think you can do with cards ? turning it over » 2) don't « twist » the card just flick/ move them, with the exact same rythm and hand positioning as in Vernon’s orgininal (cf. Bernard Bilis’s presentation) 3) Introduce a body / mind idea : «  in the physical word, to turn over a card, you need at least… only in the mind can you just… » then for the fourth car «  absolutly no physical move… just a pure thought… etc »
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Also, « less is more » may do wonder here. Less hand moves, less words, less noise, less everything… and the 4th card becomes an absolute miracle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Presentation the Twistin the Aces effect (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL