The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Starting coin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
At the moment I do mainly card magic; I'm wanting to learn some coin magic. Can anyone recommend any DVDs on coin magic? Please no books, I find it much easier to learn from DVDs.
Thanks,

Ollie
Tholes
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Tholes
You can't go wrong with David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy Volume 1 or Michael Ammar's Introduction to Coin Magic. I think David Stone's Basic Coin Magic Vol. 1 also just came out on DVD.

Go to Dan Watkin's site http://www.coinvanish.com under product reviews for a great review and comparison of
all three.

Don't ignore books though. Modern Coin Magic and Expert Coin Magic are filled with gems. Consider looking into them when you get a handle on basics from the DVDs.
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
Ammars Easy to Master Money Miracles is really good.

Don't get scared by the Expert in the David Roth title, It's great stuff.

You've got to get Bobo's if you do coin magic. You can pick it up cheap.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
He said he does not want books, but I would also recommend Bobo's coin magic. You can't go wrong with anything by Ammar.
stephen secret
View Profile
New user
mpls.
67 Posts

Profile of stephen secret
This may not be your 'way' but I would go down to the local library and check what they have on the shelf. You can also use interlibray loan to get any DVD's any library may have. Hope this helps.
sincerely, secret
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
What is interlibrary loan?
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
HI Ollie, May I highly recommend INTRODUCTION TO COIN MAGIC ...by Michael Ammar

If you are serious about starting into coin magic and you are stuck on DVD'S and dead set against coin magic books. His DVD is perfect for beginners and very easy to understand . JUST MY RECOMMENDATION!

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK IN YOUR COIN MAGIC VENTURE!

GOOD LUCK OLLIE.

YOUR FRIEND, MICKEY
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
My three recommendations are
1. Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Coin Magic DVDs.
2. David Roth' Expert Coin Magic Made Easy DVD.
3. Johnny Thompson's 4 DVD set.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Ollie, I agree that DVD's are best for learning the basic coin sleights, because there is nothing quite as helpful as actually watching someone else perform the sleights properly. Otherwise, you can waste a lot of time doing something the wrong way, and then you'll just have to start all over again.

But after you get some sleights under your belt, you might want to consider books for routines and tips on misdirection, handlings and variations. In my opinion, it's not quite as easy to teach this sort of material on a DVD, or for a viewer to absorb it this way. Books can be very helpful with this aspect of coin magic -- don't sell them short. Good Luck! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13348 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have two bits of advice:

1. Get Doug Brewer's Unexpected Visitor DVD.

2. Of course, everyone learns quicker from DVDs but the books are what you can take with you anywhere, refer to later, enjoy at anytime. They also smell much better than DVDs. Plus, when you read a book, your own personality is automatically embedded into the routine instead of the author's.

2a. Get Doug Brewer's Unexpected Visitor Book to go with the DVD. You will be very glad you did.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Interlibrary loan allows you to check out just about any book in any library in the U.S. You submit the request at your local library where you have a card, your local library will locate the book and have it sent over, then check out the book to you. Depending on your library you may have to pay some of the postage.

Just ask the librarian they will know all about it. Living in a small town I use ILL a lot. Even keep blank forms handy so I can fill them in before going to the library.

Hope that helps.
Vincz
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Vincz
I recommend Michael Ammar's Easy To Master Coin Magic
I would recommend Bobo if you would consider book, but since you want DVD then Ammar will be fantastic.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Ammar is great. Start with his complete introduction to coin magic,then work yourself into his easy to master money miracles serries. you can also get some of Dean dill's stuff, those are good. you cant go wrong with those. hey is Ammars matrix good? or is Dean dills better, thanks
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ollie,

I would follow the above advice, and also look into Michael Rubinstein's 3-DVD set Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights...this will take you into the next level...armed with a choice number of your favorite sleights, you'll be ready to put them into a routine (the next level I mentioned)...

Whatever you do, don't be in a HURRY. Try not to tackle too much at once, and avoid the temptation to go out and show stuff that you're still practicing. You'll see what I mean.

Good luck!

Doug
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1637 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
First I know you asked about DVD's instead of books. But let me recommend going with books over video at first. You'll develope your own style and you will learn a lot about why things happen as they do. You miss this with pure video based training. In the long run this will pay off for you.

~ Dan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26975 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If you start with something like the Roth or Ammar DVDs you can see what the basics look like. Then you might want to spare yourself the clever stuff and start working on the better material in the older books.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Like others have said, although you feel you can learn easier from DVDs, you can learn better from books. Get a copy of J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and apply yourself. You won't regret it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Starting coin magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL