The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Difference between Ninja Rings and Royal Magic Rings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bohh
View Profile
Regular user
Northeast Ohio
162 Posts

Profile of Bohh
Hi,

I have some Royal Magic rings, and was watching a video of Shoot doing his Ninja rings. He's so smooth with them! I was wondering are they the same as the rings I have ?

It seems if they were he'd be giving it away with some of the stuff he does!

Thanks,

Bohh
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
I can probably let you know by the end of the day. I hope to have the ninja rings in today's mail. I have the cheapo's and from what I'm told the difference is minimal but significant.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
If you didn't know, Empire has a set of 4 inch linking rings that have a seamless nickle coating. They are just as good in my opinion, if not better. You get a full set of 8 rings and all for the low price of around 10 dollars or so.

Check around, you may find some at your local shop. In the end, rings are rings.
http://www.showplacemagic.com/items/item528.htm
Bohh
View Profile
Regular user
Northeast Ohio
162 Posts

Profile of Bohh
So there is no difference between my Royal Magic rings and the Ninja rings other then the weld seam?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Someone wrote at the Café here that the Ninja gap was beveled instead of a straight cut which makes the crash link easier.

I do not know if this is true but if it is, I imagine that would be especially good back when I was first learning it. Now I don't think I'd care.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You wanna blow out the guys doing Ninja's? Get Porper's new Mini Ghost Rings.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 16:27, Frank Starsini wrote:
Someone wrote at the Café here that the Ninja gap was beveled instead of a straight cut which makes the crash link easier.

I do not know if this is true but if it is, I imagine that would be especially good back when I was first learning it. Now I don't think I'd care.

Nope, Ninja Rings are just like any other. What makes them "Ninja" is Shoot's demonstration skills and personality.

No fancy rings, no gadgets, no hidden "trap doors," just pure skill.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
I own the Ninja Rings and the Empire and Royal ones. The Ninja rings are much better in my opinion. The ends on the key ring are slightly beveled and pointed making them much easier to work with.
Magic Grandpa
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Magic Grandpa
Magic Grandpa Here:

Dave Vanvranken, you are incorrect - the Ninja Rings ARE beveled at the gap. RandyM, you are correct, sir. It is not a big deal, but the bevel is there.
I'm old as dirt; that's why there's no picture of me.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I do the Ninja routine but I just bought the cheapo rings for $9.

Actually I bought a second set.

On the first set I was trying to make the "key" rings MORE of a "key" ring and bending it chipped the chrome off of the ring 180 degrees away.

So that's my practice set. The other set if fine.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-07-15 19:29, Magic Grandpa wrote:
Magic Grandpa Here:

Dave VanVranken, you are incorrect - the Ninja Rings ARE beveled at the gap. RandyM, you are correct, sir. It is not a big deal, but the bevel is there.

That's odd as they aren't beveled on my Ninja set. Shoot also mentioned nothing about it on the DVD, and it looks very much like the set that I own. He's so meticulous about his explanations, that if there was a bevel (and it made any difference) I'm certain he would explain it.

As many have said already; no big deal, they work either way.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
bwalder
View Profile
New user
Austin, TX
46 Posts

Profile of bwalder
My Ninja rings are bevelled at the gap

They also lasted about two weeks before the plating started the chip. They are not made for crash links, despite what the DVD implies. My guess is Shoot does not actually use the VERY overpriced set that is sold as "Ninja Rings"

In short, the quality is c**p - stick with your Royal Magic rings - I have a set of those as well and whilst they are not as pretty when they first come out of the box (the weld is visible) they seem like they will last longer to me.

Bob Walder
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Maybe I was lucky then to not get the ones with the bevel. Mine have not chipped, and the welds are clean.

Perhaps they learned of the problem and switched suppliers.
Magic Grandpa
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Magic Grandpa
Magic Grandpa Here:

I got myself a set of Nickled and Gold plated. Both sets have the bevel and both sets are going strong after more than a year. I do them all the time. Bob, I think you got a bad set. You deserve a refund - I'd demand it if they lasted only two weeks. Sheesh!
I'm old as dirt; that's why there's no picture of me.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Shoot Ogawa’s Ninja Rings are 4.5 inches in diameter and a set consists of 4 rings. The Royal Magic Rings that I have are 5 inches in diameter and come in a set of 8 rings. Because the Royal set comes with 8 rings you can do either Shoot's Ninja Ring routine or a traditional 8 ring linking ring routine.

I bought a nice set of 5” Royal Magic Linking Rings from Daytona Magic. I got a good Royal Magic set because my set is thick and looks like stainless steel.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
respho
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
74 Posts

Profile of respho
Hi. I see that many here are happy owners of linking rings or Ninja Rings. I am thinking whether I should get the Ninjas.

Currently I am looking for linking rings that are perfectly seamless. I mean perfection to the point where you cannot find the welding joint even on close examination. I own a set of 12 inch rings which are perfectly seamless. I am wondering whether such quality exists for small rings. Thanks.
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
Ninjas are seamless, as are Royal. I prefer Ninja's because of the Bevel.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I just got the Shoot Ogawa DVD, and I currently own just the Royal Magic rings. Here's my question - it seems to me the gap in the key in the DVD is WAY bigger than on the Royal Magic rings. Am I correct? Does this matter?
kerpa
a/k/a Mike Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
The Royal rings do have a smaller gap than the Ninjas when you first get them. I used Royals at first because the gold plated Ninjas were not available yet. I prefer the weight and sound of the Ninjas. As always, it's up to the performer on which ones they want to use - laymen won't care one way or the other if the routine is good and well done.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Thanks, Eric.
Is it harder to do some of the moves with the smaller gap? I would imagine that might be the case.
Mike
kerpa
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Difference between Ninja Rings and Royal Magic Rings? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL