The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palm Retention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
Hey all, another question about this classic palm. I can place the coin into classic palm. My problem now comes when I need to do a retention. 4 coins in my right hand, toss them into my left, retaining one on classic palm. I can’t grip the coin while turning my hand over. All coins fall out.

I have been watching and practicing the Jay Sankey video, Revolutionary Coin Magic, and when he does it, the coin remains in the dead center of his palm.

I can do it this way too but this looks really un-natural. I was always under the impression that the classic palm is done a little lower, more towards the wrist.

Any advice on how to grip the coin while doing a retention? If I want to palm a coin, should I do it in the same way every time?

I just ordered David Roth’s video Expert Coin magic...will this also help answer my questions?
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
There are numerous variations when it comes to the so-called "Classic" palm. Smile

Further, when palming 'several' coins, and then retaining 'one', you can read different approaches, but in the end, I think that whatever method 'you' are most comfortable with, is the one you will end up using.

This is because coins will vary in size, plus people all have different sized hands, each having it's own unique skin texture (some oily, some dry) thus, each person must approach coinwork a little different. Smile

I should also add that this can be said of 'card work' as well. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Not everyone's hands are the same -- obviously.

So just because one person can do it, doesn't mean that everyone can do it.

If your classic palm is difficult to impossible to do or looks unnatural, then scrap it.

Go with a finger palm or something else that will do the work.

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:

On 2001-11-26 06:32, CardTrix wrote:

Hey all, another question about this classic palm. [...]Any advice on how to grip the coin while doing a retention? If I want to palm a coin, should I do it in the same way every time?

Try using the Benzais Friction Palm (not really a PALM at all, but that's what it's called). One source for info is Kaufman's "Expert Coin Magic". The nice thing about the Benzais move is that the retained coin ends in perfect position to then classic palm on the offbeat.

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi,
concerning the classic palm and keeping the coin in the palm when you pass the rest into the other hand, it's probably hypothenar trouble. The hypothenar is the muscle on the little finger's side of the palm and if you don't do a lot of heavy work you probably haven't developed it enough to hold the coin in classic palm when your hand rotates. The solution is to exercise your little finger more, which will build up this muscle. I had the same trouble for the first three months of the classic palm until I built up a decent hypothenar. A clear indicator is that your little finger porbably crimps in whenever you palm: this should disappear with practice. Anyway, David Stone's web site will tell you more about exercising the hypothenar. Let me know how it goes...
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You might try to find the nice Harvey Rosenthal technique to put one coin of a group into classic palm after they have been displayed in a line from the fingertips toward the palm. The technique is somewhere on my Knockout Coin Magic tapes (I can't remember which trick), and Harvey's one man issue of Epilogue.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
753 Posts

Profile of Winks
I have big hands and do lots of work with my hands. But for the life of me I cannot do a classic palm. My hand is just not build for it. So, thank heavens for double sided scotch tape. Smile
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Quote:
On 2002-07-10 02:58, Winks wrote:
I have big hands and do lots of work with my hands. But for the life of me I cannot do a classic palm. My hand is just not build for it. So, thank heavens for double sided scotch tape. Smile

I must admit I can sympathise with you and I imagine that there are hands that can't classic palm. What I did initially was work with large coins that were easier to grip and gradually the muscle built up. The funny thing now though is that if you actually compare my left and right palm, you can clearly see the muscle build up - so I'm now working on my left hand so that they look symetrical and I can do the moves with both hands. Stone recommends among other things lifting key rings with your pinky to build up the tone and I can assure you it works in most cases.

Probably I should also say that of the five or six palms I can do (beginning performer with only a few gigs to my credit I'm afraid) I found the classic palm by far the hardest to get down pat. It takes ages to get a good classic palm. After two years, I think I've just got a reasonable one: but I went from nothing to a stage where I can now classic palm four coins - so I'd be inclined to try the hypothenar exercises.

Of course, there is scotch tape...
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Quote:
Try using the Benzais Friction Palm (not really a PALM at all, but that?s what it?s called). One source for info is Kaufman?s "Expert Coin Magic". The nice thing about the Benzais move is that the retained coin ends in perfect position to then classic palm on the offbeat.

Regards,

Thomas Wayne

If you look in Bullseye coin tricks (1942) Pgs. 7&8 In a Trick call passes-passes coins.
You will see that Marlo had the Friction pass
in print 20 years or so before Benzais did! He did give not it a name but it's the same move. Thanks.

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
The Marlo/Benzais friction move is great. I think it looks alot cleaner cause of all the movements that take place. Everything is totally natural because you are tossing the 4(3)coins into your hand instead of holding them in your palm up right hand and sorting them out and then turning the hand over to dump them into the left hand.

I just found out that the benzais friction pass was a marlo thing about 3 months ago.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
try gripping the coin in classic palm BEFORE you rotate your palm down.

you wrote that you can't "grip" the coin "while" turning your hand over.

what about "before" you turn your hand over?
grip the coin (with the others right there too), turn your hand, the gripped one stays.

after some practice you will automagically start to grip the coin later in the move and soon enough, you'll be gripping during "while" you turn your hand over.

so just figure out where that coin needs to go such that you can "grip" it while your hand is palm up, and when you turn your hand palm down it stays.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Quote:
Of course, there is scotch tape...

Don't laugh; Scotch Tape has been used effectively in a variety of coin routines. Check out "A Scotch Brand of Magic", a 1967 publication by Joseph White which focuses on tape-assisted palming.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
CardTrix,
Thomas Wayne is right. The Friction Palm will solve your problems. Since you are going to buy the David Roth Videos, there is good news for you: Roth teaches the move on Volume 1 of the "Expert Coin Magic Made Easy"-Series.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Another option (found somewhere in Bobo, I believe) is as follows:

- display stack of coins on the tips of the left fingers.
- lift (very slightly) the top three coins with the right hand.
- move the three coins toward the left palm (fourth coin hidden by the right fingers)
- press the fourth coin into the right palm with the left fingertips.
- close the left hand around its three coins.

The original "show" is very clean, and with a bit of practice, the move can be made indetectably.

regards, Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic Palm Retention (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL