The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How do you get into curl palm? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joef90
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of joef90
I have both of Kainoa Harbottle's books (which are fantastic!), but I have a problem getting into third finger curl palm. There seems to be no reference in either book on how you get one or more coins into this palm. Any help would be great!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2317 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
While we probably should explain it right here in the open, I have sent you a private message Joe. I hope it helps you out. Good luck in Kainoa's book. Smile
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
How do you get into Curl Palm?

Very carefully. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That third finger curl palm has a name. And one person did much work on making that palm placement a workable concealment. He lectured the thing last year at LVMI and he posts to this BBS sometimes. Please ask Geoff Latta about his Nowhere Palm.

The way we discussed the thing back in '77, it was roughly equivalent to EG in that the thumb can roll coins over and in before any fingers curl.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
If Geoff is listening, maybe he'd be nice enough to help:

I've been working on a Silk and Silver routine in which I need to get three coins from finger palm into second-finger curl palm (a position I learned from David Roth's book) while holding the bagged silk in the same hand.

I can do this but it's slightly awkward because my first and second fingers are busy holding the silk pinched between them.

Any tips or advice will be appreciatively received!

Cheers,
Jerry
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
Geoff's No Where palm is a very under rated palm....
Great way to show your hands empty and still hold out up to 4 coins
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
Underrated by whom? Most of the coin workers I know use Nowhere palm regularly. I believe I reference it as both Nowhere palm and 3rd finger curl palm (how it was first--unfortunately--published by Kaufman) in CoE.

If you have a stack or a single coin in Ramsey finger palm, it's pretty easy to simply tip the stack downwards with your thumb until it's horizontal to the floor. Your third finger can then grab it. Since with a Ramsey finger palm the third finger is already curled, there's virtually no muscle movement.

I've also found that, if I have a stack of coins in edge grip, if I gently push in and down with my thumb (angling the edges of the stack towards the third finger), I can get the whole stack to slip off the second finger to be caught by the third finger. Of course sometimes they continue on to the floor.

The more fun transfer is the hard version of edge grip to no where palm--the stack simply rolls over on itself, where the third finger actually helps to catch the stack as it falls, continuing into Nowhere palm with the help of the thumb ala above. I'm pretty certain this technique does appear in CoE in Beijing Trio. This has either the drawback or benefit (depending on the routine--it's a benefit for Beijing Trio) of turning the stack over.

The latter of these doesn't look pretty the first 50 or so times, but once you build up the speed it can be done in an off-beat, or as one takes a coin from one had to another, or as part of a steaplechase sequence.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
If ur in edge grip already, "curl" your finger around the coiin, and then just release your thumb from the coin, this information was in david roths Showpieces video.
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Here's one that I don't think has been published: from Purse Palm to Nowhere Palm.

Thumb contacts the top (near 1st finger) edge of the coin and tilts it down to the horizontal as it pushes forward a bit.
This causes the coin to roll outward towards the tip of the third finger. Curl said third finger until it's tip touches the tip of the thumb.

The minor curl of the wrist as the hand moves from palm down to nowhere palm display position more than covers the action.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » How do you get into curl palm? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL