The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Stock Market. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Anyone on this board trade in stocks and shares?
I made a big loss 3 years back and have just reached a stage where I can get back in.
I am looking to make a small portfolio based on an initial stake of 1k with a bimonthly injection of 1k.
Does anyone have any good investment tips for my portfolio?
Don't get me wrong. I have a good selection of shares I want. but I am interested in anything I may have missed.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
As a fellow Countryman I'd just say Stay Out! I quickly realised that not only stocks and shares but also personal pension schemes are a total let down and disappointment unless you are looking at BIG financial investment over a very long period.

The market may be cooling - but bricks and mortar are for me. Just sold a place I bought back in 2000 for double what I paid for it! Am eagerly waiting for the funds to be received and then will look to immediately re-invest in another apartment - no fear, no doubts, no worries! Whether you rent out or just keep for family use this type of investment makes a killing!

Can't afford a house or apartment? Buy a block of lock-up garages then, or a small plot of land.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
The incident I mention, I lost 26K GBP.
The thing is, I made 24K of it from 500 GBP just as a laugh. It was a case of too big for my boots and a poor set of market conditions that slapped me back down.
Now is a good time with the right choices to make some bucks. I can just feel it!
- Mark Twain
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
If I'd lost £26,000 (convert that to dollars USA/Aussie/NZ/Canada viewers), I'd have been devastated! I think your 'risk threshold' is different to mine! Good Luck.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I assume you have a financial background and that you are able to read financial statements and do a technical and fundamental analysis of a company.
If not then that would where I would invest my 1st 1K. education.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I got 24k from 500 pounds. I lost 500 pounds not 24k.
Think of it like a dude who goes on Millionaire and looses 32K but goes with 32K. He entered the compo with no money and is happy with whatever.
I have a good education. (self educated and proud)
I could go to Vegas and put it all on Red. But I want to play a more involved game.

No background in money at all. I like to play loose. I am looking at Pharmaceuticals and New-Tech.
- Mark Twain
jkr
View Profile
Regular user
Mn
147 Posts

Profile of jkr
Check out this link.
http://www.4xmadeeasy.com/

A friend at work has been doing this for about 10 months now and is starting to make some nice cash.

If you're set on stocks check out this link. http://www.wizetrade.com/

Jake
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Partizan, I took a major hit when the stocks plummetted. I had never even done stocks before and, of course, I choose to do it when the bottom drops.
There was one day where I lost an incredible amount. I remember going into Hollywood Magic and I must of had a certain look because someone asked what's wrong. I said, "I just lost a lot of money." They asked how much. I said, "Let me put it this way... I don't have enough money to buy a bullet to kill myself!"
I'm not a political person, but I could tell you some stories about how it all related to the political atmosphere.
Greg
P.S. I know someone is going to say, "I thought you were a mentalist? Didn't you know it was going to happen?" Well, I might have known, but that time I consulted with Miss Cleo. Smile
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I have online trading. I think that was the problem Smile

Greg. Sorry to hear that mate! I know how you feel, sort of anyway. I had all of my eggs in one basket, and the basket broke overnight Smile
- Mark Twain
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Partizan, I actually had the eggs in many baskets and all the eggs were broken and the baskets were stolen.
Greg
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Nasty! I hope all is well with you now?
- Mark Twain
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Let's just say the money is really tight now and I'm looking for various sources of income.
Ah, what an interesting life.
Greg
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Partizan.
I suggest you get yourself the Robert Kitosaki Cashflow 202 game because the stock trades on the game is more realistic than his 101 game.
It creates a good atmosphere in which to learn. I really suggest you also take your profits and invest in property for both the Taxation benefit and the passive income.
As a stupid example if you can turn every 500 into 24K 4 times over the next 5 years tou would be able to own 4 100K properties with basically 25% down. If you spend time looking for these properties and then use a refinance principle to pruchase additional properties you could realistically own 5 or 6 properties in the next 10 years and that would put you in a pretty secure position.
as final advice I would suggest you read some Warren Buffet material and make sure you know how and why the companies you want to invest in make their profit. It makes it easier to make educated decisions on being long or short at certain times.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I just got a letter in the mail a couple days ago from the company in which I have owned stock for the last ten years. The amount of shares I currently hold has just doubled!! This is because the company has done what is called a "spin-off", and they formulated a new, separate company that offers a service that was originally one part of many parts that make up their original company. So, as a result, they gave current shareholders in the old company the same number of shares in the new company. In effect, everyone's shares doubled!

This was definitely good news to receive in the mail!!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Good advice abc.
It was a lot of luck and risk that got me such a good return. I doubt I could get such a favourable set of circumstances again.
Lots of people tell me to get into property. I don't know enough about the subject. so I'm going to have to do some reading-up.
- Mark Twain
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Partizan
I wish I could sit down with you you for 10 minutes. Everybody that says invest now is wrong and everyone that says don't are also wrong. The reason is that they don't understand investing,
Read all you can now is as a good time as ever and Good luck
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Stock Market. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL