The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who Am I? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
I can bend spoons.
I can stop watches.
I can duplicate a drawing you have made in secret.
I can drive blindfolded.
Who am I?
Every *** mentalist!

Yaniv Deautsch
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
It's certainly good to hear that I am not a *** mentalist! My performing persona can only do one of these things.

Yaniv's point, I expect (and one which perhaps isn't made often enough) is that only the most credulous will believe you can do anything, so think carefully about what your claims actually are.

Otherwise it's just magic tricks.

... Doug
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
I thought Yaniv's point was that we tend to do the same tricks, ie. every mentalist bends spoons, does blindfold work, design duplications, etc. I suppose he's right. My solution is simple. Would all of you please quit and leave all the good stuff to me? You won't? Dang! Well, back to the drawing board!

--Christopher Carter
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Yaniv,

BTW, I am very sorry you brought up the Kreskin effect, as I have been doing a variation on it for years. The effect is easy to do, requires no sleight of hand or presentational skills, and has never failed to not get a great reaction.

--Christopher Carter
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
Yaniv are you angry about something ?

E-Leoni.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-08-02 14:53, E-Leoni wrote:
Yaniv are you angry about something ?

E-Leoni.

Is there any creative mind in this business that's not angry about something? Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
Tell me about your mother? Smile
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
Is there any creative mind in this business that's not angry about something?

Yes Smile

Paul.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, it is interesting that we can put up a list that fits many of our effects, but we do them because these are the things the people perceive as forms of psychic powers. It wasn't until the early seventies when metal bending was added to the list so it is possible to come up with new ideas. I think it's good to come up with new concepts, but sometimes just putting a spin on an old trick will do the job. I've sat with several of my friends and tried to come up with new ways of showing psychic powers and some of the ideas are unique, but nothing has come of it yet. So take a deep breath, Yaniv. Count to ten. Then go out and bend something. No one is going to hate you for doing the same effect.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
dada
View Profile
New user
telaviv
4 Posts

Profile of dada
I like to bend spoons and amaze people.
I like to stop watches and amaze people.
I like to duplicate a drawing you have made in secret and amaze you.
I don't drive (too young).
Who am I?
dada
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2002-08-03 07:03, dada wrote:
I like to bend spoons and amaze people.
I like to stop watches and amaze people.
I like to duplicate a drawing you have made in secret and amaze you.
I don't drive (too young).
Who am I?
dada

Uri Geller's son? Smile
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
O.k. not that I'd open a can of worms Smile but... why do we feel that every act/show we do must have a demonstration of each Psi power?

In the "real world" few psychics have more (admit to)than three key talents. Not all move or bend things... not all can see the future (most actually divine the past more, via psychometry and even past life "visions") The primary common thread that holds most of them within the same lot is the practice of one of the major divination arts e.g. Tarot, Astrology, etc.

Me Thinks it is our habit, as magicians, to want to toss in a bit of everything so as to make a more appealing salad when, in all truth, less is more!

Let's face it, John Edward (regardless what you think of him) is making MILLIONS doing nothing more than a Q&A act... what Larsen referred to as "Message Bearing". He's not worried about how much change someone has in their pocket or sharing with the press who is going to win the World Series. He's real, he's human, and he connects with his audience... OH! And he don't bend spoons! Smile

The whole metal bending frenzy, in my opinion at least, has gotten waaaay out of hand and outside the realistic expectations of the average psi patron... I love watching Alain and others do their Ballet of Metal Gyration... it's super cool! But that's the opinon of the magician within NOT what the Psychic Entertainer would want to present.

Why?

Psi manifestations are subtle vs. dramatic. Sure, there are times when some very dramatic things can and do happen, but rarely under "staged" and focused circumstances. Such things happen when least expected.

I offer this strictly as food for thought. I pov that might aid us in escaping the habits of our magician's mind set.

Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Lets be fair, many who perform magic whether it be the plastic boxes, balloons or even mentalism, keep within fairly defined borders. There are creative and imaginative minds out there producing and performing unique material - unique to them, that is, while other retread the same old stuff. Metal bending is a good example. Many metalists are still stuck or hung up on Uri Geller. Move on guys... this is the new millenium!
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Quote:
The whole metal bending frenzy, in my opinion at least, has gotten waaaay out of hand and outside the realistic expectations of the average psi patron...

Agreed. Metal bending, in the hands of someone like Alain Nu, can be a beautiful sight to behold. Pure visual magic. But there are simply too many people doing it now for it to hold any interest for me. Especially with the release of Banachek's video, the market has become oversaturated with eager metal benders.

It's time for some new, visual psychic effects on par with metal bending. That's not an easy order, but he/she who comes up with it will be rewarded greatly.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
295 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
There are 280 million people in this country, and not all have seen mental bending (or most of what we do) close up. Some have, and are even entertained the second time around. I haven't bought Banachek's video yet, but I plan to. I can bet that here in Upstate New York, I will be the first one most people see do something like that right under their nose. DO NOT assume that things are well worn because of the limited circles in which we move and interact.

In my kid shows, I hated doing the "Coloring Book." Every one did it. Now, no one does it, so I'm doing it again. Everytime I bring it out, not one kid says "I've seen this one before." Granted, there's more turnover in the kid audience than adult audience, but I think the point is still well taken. Adults don't remember much about tricks after a few weeks or months.

It seems that the "tired old stuff" idea is a mentality, not a reality.

Because I have a few jobs (performing magic being one), and five kids, I don't get to magic club meetings, and rarely interact with magicians (that's why I love The Magic Cafe). There are many in my area, however, mostly hobbyists. However, most of what I show people, whether mentalism, kids tricks, or whatever, they're seeing for the first time. And I've been averaging 100 paid performances per year for the last 15 years (not bad for my THIRD job). Therefore, I'm having a hard time with the "tired old tricks" mentality. Are the magician's getting bored of their own stuff? Are they seeing or interacting with too many other magicians?

The general public still eats this stuff up. At least here in Upstate New York.
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
In stating that there are those unimaginative magicians that are happily retreading the 'same old stuff', it's a reality whether that same old stuff is in the form or a routine published last week or a TV effect seen 10 years ago.

It is the unique charisma and character of the performer that creates the magic. Minor effects can become miraculous in the right hands and heart-stopping mentalism can die a death if performed badly. And so it goes.

It's perhaps more accurate to suggest well-worn magicians or hobbyists looking for the latest cool effect rather than creating real magic of their own for their audiences!

Metal bending has been so abused over the years, but then so have many other effects but evey now and then someone takes it to a higher level and it become a true experience for the participant or audience. It's the dumbing down of magic and mentalism that concerns me. Anyone can demonstrate, but not anyone can create a magical experience.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
mysterium
View Profile
New user
Baltimore, MD
100 Posts

Profile of mysterium
Quote:
There are 280 million people in this country, and not all have seen mental bending (or most of what we do) close up....

DO NOT assume that things are well worn because of the limited circles in which we move and interact.

I wasn't saying that the public is tired of metal bending... I was saying *I* am tired of metal bending. I think there are too many people doing it now -- it doesn't have the feel of a real psychic demonstration anymore, like it did when Uri popularized it. Now, it's seen as more of a magic trick than a demonstration of PK.
When someone mentions that I am a magician, one of the first questions I often get is "Can you bend a spoon?" Spoon bending is now seen as part of the magician's arsenal. I prefer effects that, while they may be old as the hills, seem fresh and new and more akin to "real" psychic powers.

And since people are aware of spoon bending, they often have theories -- gaffed spoon, chemicals, whatever -- that might not be correct, but they definitely don't believe it's real PK. I'd rather go for something that leaves them wondering.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Who Am I? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL