The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Basic dove appearence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I do not own any doves, so I am not very aware of dove production methods (I have a cat, but she would not cooperate for anything). I have been watching magicians produce doves, and have caught the steal on just about all of them. I wanted to act like I would produce a dove from a silk, but instead produce a real bannana. If anyone knows how I could go about this, I would be interested.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Brian,

Since you also like geek magic, you might like the modification I used in the 70s. (Yes, I was younger then and the world was not flat!)

First let me tell you that many of us rehearse with a ball of socks instead of a live dove anyway. It saves time, etc. but has the same weight and mass.

Back then I accepted more bookings in the flat (rooms without seating in tiers and typically a poor stage) than I will accept now. There dove magic became less elegant and less formal and more of a closeup stunt. So I would sometimes go throught the motions of producing a dove from a silk but the actual production would be a very real fried chicken leg. I did shows for Coors for years too. So sometimes, it was a can or bottle of Coors. I used a guitar string loop for the heavier loads. Consequently, my right thumb frequently had small cuts. I'll have to thank Pete Peterson for switching me to insulated wire from Radio Shack and eliminating the bleeding thumb problem. I will also tell you that my wife at that time, hated it when I did that trick because it left the costume smelling awful (she said). Beer, fried chicken and magic, who could complain? OK, No dove!

Bob
Magic By Sander

Will I see you at SCAM?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
I think you know what I am looking for. Where can I learn what I need to, or do I just need to buy a dove bag? I came up with this whole commedy bannana act of producing a previously signed bannana.

Thanks
Brian
The great Sandwich!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You don’t need a dove bag at all. You could simply sew a loop through one end of your banana and stick it up your sleeve. Produce it as you would a feather flower bouquet. Or make a simple holder inside your jacket (not even as complicated as a dove pocket) and position the loop for a steal. Or hang it from your belt and make the steal. Or…

You don’t have to make this complicated at all. If you want to produce it from a hank, think bottle or glass production technique rather than dove production technique. This is easy stuff.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob you have inspired me to take the plunge. I was going to wait and get my doves and everything set up for them before I started thinking about which pocket or bag, etc. to buy. But I think I'll go ahead and get set up and practice before I buy the doves. If you think about it, this makes more sense anyway. This way I can train the doves and will be ready to use them sooner, and I won't put the birds at as much risk.

Thanks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
what the...?
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
378 Posts

Profile of what the...?
Thanks again Harry.

Brian
The great Sandwich!
jugglingeagle
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
25 Posts

Profile of jugglingeagle
I have a simple object production and vanish gimmicked bandana that I use. If done as you described, I think that it would be an awesome part of any act!
good luck,
Jugglingeagle
If you tell people you juggle, they'll laugh at you, if you tell them there is a juggling magazine. that laugh more, if you tell them that juggling is an art, they'll laugh you out of the room. If you punch them in the face, they'll stop laughing! Jason G
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Basic dove appearence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL