The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Species (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zack Schaff
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Zack Schaff
Does anybody use a different species of dove than the pure white doves?

thanks,

-Zack
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
Naaa, I've heard of pied doves being used and fan tail pigeons, but that's pretty rare.

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5112 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Amos Levkotvitch has several doves that are grey/light blue and also spotted. They work well in his act. In addition to the tradtional white dove, I use several pied doves in my act. They are peach and white and very pretty birds. I also use a brown ring neck dove. While the white dove is pretty and impressive, the other breeds add a little variety.
Where the magic begins
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
We have some Indian ringneck, a few pied doves and 2 diamond doves that we use. I have used a homer and a monk pidgeon though.
retrostylemagic
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Zack,

The real reason I use white doves most often is because the audience can't tell one from the other. But we do use pieds and colored birds too. For years I had a pair of yellow doves (from Baldwin, Arkansas) I used because they would "talk or laugh" after an applause. It added to the show. Unfortunately, they never reproduced and I've never seen anymore as yellow as they were. Nor have I had any luck getting others to "talk or laugh" on que. They were mature doves when I got them. The two also insisted on being where they could touch each other most of the time. They were an unusual pair doves.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
I'm sorry if this question has been asked a lot, but what species actually are the 'pure white doves'.

I have heard that ringnecks are the species that magicians use, but in pictures on the internet, it does actually look like they do have a dark ring around their neck.

All the doves I have seen in professional's acts are white (apart from Jason Byrne's doves, which look like they are very slightly yellow), and they don't have a dark ring round there necks!
Which species of dove do they use?
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I think that Java Doves are used a lot. Dave and Bob would know. They seem to have all the answers about doves. I'm just trying to get started in Dove magic myself.

Regan
Mister Mystery
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
I'm trying to get started in dove magic. I was recommended to buy 'The Encyclopedia of Dove Magic by Marian Chavez' by other magicians, and that is a really good book, and you should get it before buying your doves. I am trying to do as much research as possible before actually buying the doves!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5112 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Well thanks Regan. I don't know if Bob and I have all the answers but we have a lot of experience. I personally use mostly ringneck doves. Some have very distinctive black rings on their neck and others have only a trace. From an appearance point of view, I don't think it matters all that much. I use pied doves and a few brown ring necks as well.

There are possibilities with a brown bird. In one routine, I produce the brown bird, put him in a box that resembles a small washing machine, add laundry soap??? and water. A slight agitating motion and the box is opened to reveal the pure white dove.

Magicsam, you're on the right track. Too many magicians go out and get birds and then try to figure out what to do and how to take care of them. Besides learning how to train them and what tricks you can do, you should also read up on anatomy and health of the doves. It can save a lot of frustration down the road when a bird is sick or just isn't acting normal.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Magicsam,

I recently bought the book you mentioned. It is very informative but the artwork and photos are not very good. It has taught me some things though, and I guess that's the bottom line.

I have decided to get pockets, etc. and start practicing with rolled up sock loads (as Bob Sanders mentioned on another thread) before I actually get my doves. This will give me more time to get ready for my new pets and it will be safer on the doves when I actually do start using them.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"I'm sorry if this question has been asked a lot, but what species actually are the 'pure white doves'."

Hi Magicsam....

The White is just a color variation of the Ringneck and not a seperate species. Java Dove (and occasionaly Temple Dove) is a popular name for it though. ie:

Species - Ringneck Dove - White Mutation (Streptopelia risoria)

Enjoy your birds!
Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
jugglingeagle
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
25 Posts

Profile of jugglingeagle
Do any of you know of a livestock book that is better than The Encyclopedia of Dove Magic? I am in the same situation as magicsam and like to do a bit of investigation before I go out and buy anything.
Ancora Imparo,
Jugglingeagle
If you tell people you juggle, they'll laugh at you, if you tell them there is a juggling magazine. that laugh more, if you tell them that juggling is an art, they'll laugh you out of the room. If you punch them in the face, they'll stop laughing! Jason G
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Getting back to the color question:
Gen Grant uses varous colors on his doves in his act. Including Blue, green, & Red. I don't think those are found in nature. Perhap he dyes them with food coloring?

Just a thouhgt for you guys who want something other than white doves.

By the way, has anyone trained a dove to hold an olive branch once they are produced? Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bruce,

A male dove will likely pick up a small straw of any kind and hold it. Just put him in mixed company and make the prop available. The problem is that he picks the time.

Good luck!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Species (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL