The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Knots and loops Ľ Ľ Rope at HomeDepot? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JeffHall
View Profile
Regular user
Davis, California
161 Posts

Profile of JeffHall
Anyone seen any good rope at Home Depot for rope tricks? Home Depot is so much closer than a magic store.

thanks, J Smile
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Hi Jeff!

I go to, "Home Depot" on a regular basis, and have seen good rope, but itís a little stiff!

If you take out the core, or inside of the rope, youíll find it is much easier to manipulate and work with!

Steve

Smile

Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I found some pretty good cotton rope at Lowe's (I think--wasn't Home Depot so it must have been Lowe's).

It too needs to have the core stripped out but it seems to work well for the effects I do.

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Bengi
View Profile
Veteran user
Georgia
309 Posts

Profile of Bengi
The rope I use can be bought almost anywhere. It is the soft white rope used for tying boats to a dock.... it is very soft and bendable. (Not the plastic type!)

I think itís nylon or cotton.

The only trouble with it, is it frays when you cut it. To solve that problem, go to any hardware store and ask them for the "rubbery stuff" you can dip worn screwdrivers handles and stuff in. It is sold by several names.

Once you cut your rope, dip about 1" into this..... it will harden in seconds, and your rope will NEVER frey.

Iíve had mine for years, and have used this stuff on alot of rope routines. (And you donít have to remove the core... it is VERY bendable)

Bengi Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4766 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks for the helpful information Bengi!

Smile Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
362 Posts

Profile of cataquet
I find that the rope you get in hardware stores or marine shops is too thick. I use cotton cord that I picked up at a haberdashery. Itís much cheaper and softer than rope. It is about shoelace width, but it is round with no internal core to pull out.

I use this type of rope for C&R. If you are looking for rope that you are going to use over and over again, then I suggest you go to a climbing shop and get nylon climbing rope. If you get one with a pattern, when you hide magnets or screws in them, no one will ever see them. You can keep the core in it for effects like Professorís Nightmare, or you can remove the core for effects like Ring and Rope.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Timotheous
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Timotheous
Ok Ok Ok......... Iíll let you all in on one of my secrets.........

Go to a Family Dollar or Dollar store....... They are everywhere... Almost.

Get a batch of clothsline cord and core it out. "itís very easy to core"

It is very cheap and the core can be seperated into a type of Invisible thread. If Cut and restored is your thing you canít beat the cost effectiveness of this rope.

And for the fraying ends use a dabble of wax or white school glue to seal íem......

Actually superglue works faster on the ends in a pinch but donít use your fingers on it............... Smile

use wax paper to mash the ends together.

Also if you use super-glue often keep some fingernail polish remover handy if you get it on yourself. Itíll disolve the glue if an accident happens, but, be warned the acetone will attack furniture finish.

Merry Christmas

Tim

P.S. get the cotton type rope......

The metal core type would be a bit awkward coring Smile
Check out my first release!
"Timotheous Paradox"
http://www.cardmsg.com/magicfxshop/timotheous-paradox.htm
"Magic is real! We performers use tools to tap the magic that's within all of us" -Timotheous
Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
I guess I am just lazy, but I order 'Elite' rope from Denny & Lee. Sure it's a little pricey compared to what you can get at the hardware store, but it is useable right out of the bag - no extra work. I gladly hand over the $25 per bag - the time that it saves me is priceless. Plus, the rope is bright white and extremely soft.

Also, to address the fraying ends issue. I was introduced to a product called "Fray Check" (I think that's the proper name, I don't have the bottle in front of me). It's a small, affordable, clear bottle with blue writing that can be found in sewing stores. I cut the ropes to the desired size, lay the ends on wax paper and squirt a little of the chemical on them. It hardens up over night, giving you a plastic-like fray protector.

It has worked well for me - give it a try.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5702 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
To handle the fraying problem, I take the end of the rope and pinch it into a tight bundle with teezers and push it in on itself. I then squirt a couple of drops of white glue into the end and rub the end of the rope between my fingers, to work the glue in.
Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
Americaís North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Something that I have just started doing with some of the Plastic (polyester) Ropes from Home Depot, is that after coring them out (Only necessary on the larger ropes - the smaller thinner ones dont need cored)

To keep the end from fraying, and to avoid the ugly (In my opinion) ends created by using a Heat Cutter or other heat based techniques to melt the end, I place a small piece of Heat Shrink Tubing (Used in place of electrical tape in some electronics applications - you can get it in black at radio shack and other colors form others sources) It is like a little tube and you slide a short piece onto the end of the rope the end of the rope apply a little heat, and it shrinks down and holds better than any tape and has no end to unravel. And it looks better, providing a neat, finished end to polyester ropes making them look very professional.

Brodavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
magichadley
View Profile
New user
Dayton OH
38 Posts

Profile of magichadley
I like the ruber stuff idea I will look for it.

Thanks

Magichadley
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Try Boaters World if you have one nearby.

They have lots of styles and sizes of rope in nylon and poly. The 3/4" and 1" white triple twist rope is great looking and can be easily gimmicked.

They also have bunjee cord available in red green or black which looks like rope and must have a use somehow even as a gag.

Unstretched it looks and behaves like nice nylon covered cord.

Prices are anything from 20c foot to $1.30 a foot
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
My favorite rope is thick magicians rope that I buy in 300' balls from Chazpro.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Gawin
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
171 Posts

Profile of Gawin
Anyone in knowledge of good rope in Germany???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Knots and loops Ľ Ľ Rope at HomeDepot? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL