The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Re-shaping rings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
I have a set of Merv Taylor linking rings I use all the time. They are a great set but over the years of using them, some, have become out of round. Has anyone found a way to "re-round" them?

Kent
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Kent:

Are the rings plated (chrome, nickel, etc.)? If so, attempts at re-rounding may result in the plating flaking off.

Assuming the plating is not an issue, roundness can be restored with a mandrel and a mallet. The mandrel is a piece of semi-circular hardwood (maple, ideally) with an outside diameter equal to the inside diamter of your rings; bolt this mandrel to a sturdy workbench. The mallet should be either wooden, resin, or a dead-blow type. Using the mallet, tap the ring against the mandrel, working out the flat or ovoid spots into their original roundness. (Make sure the ring is held perpendicular to the mandrel, or the ring may warp out-of-plane.) Do not use metallic hammers - steel, brass, or the like - which may dent or stretch the rings or leave coloured marks thereon.

Of course, I'd recommend warming up on a practice piece before tackling the actual rings.

Sincerely,
Leland Edward Stone
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Thanks Leland.

This mandrel, is it something to have a woodworker make or is this something I can purchase pre-made?
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Kent:

Any woodworker should be able to fashion this one for you out of 8/4 or thicker maple stock. You'll need a piece about 18" long; drill one end with four or five 3/8" holes for mounting to your workbench.

If you'd like to try this without the expense of having it custom-made, just go to your lumber yard buy an off-cut, then lag screw it to your bench. Round off the edges with a plane or a 3/8" router bit, and try tapping those rings back into shape.

I'll bet you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, especially if you try a couple of practice rings (say, coat hangers, for example) first. Let me know if you need a diagram, and I'll put a sketch on my Web site. Caution: Metalworking can be addictive!

Leland
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Thanks, I will most likely give it a try first as I'm very cheap. Hey but that is the reason I know how to do so many things anyway. hehe.

Kent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Re-shaping rings? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL