The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » My favorite close-up magicians—who's yours? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Hi All,

My favorite close-up workers:

Cards: Earl Nelson, Bill Malone, and the late Michael Skinner.

Coins: David Roth, John Carney and Chris Korn

Close-up in general: John Carney, Chad Long, and again the late Michael Skinner

IMO, Michael Skinner was the greatest close-up worker of all time. His touch with specially cards was unmatched. Even though, Earl Nelson comes very close. Earl's touch with cards is the best in the world today.

David Roth is for me the greatest coin work of all time. Really no one comes close. His routines are FAR above everything else, that other coin magicians comes out with. The way he contructs his routines, are unmatched by any other coin magician. John Carney comes very close, but still behind IMO. Roth also does every sleight he uses, better than anyone else. This includes the classic palm, finger palm, retention vanish, shutle pass, etc.

Who is your favorite close-up magicians?

Daniel
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I like loads...hmmm.

Darwin ortiz,David roth,Michael vincent to name a couple.

These are the ones who interested me most in sleight of hand magic.
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Del Ray; Eugene Burger.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Matthew the Magnificent
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
27 Posts

Profile of Matthew the Magnificent
Mine are mostly DEAD, now ... ever see Albert Goshman's Coins/Saltshakers ???

Haven't seen Earl Nelson in a long time, but when I have, he was all technique and no presentation skills, rather boring for a lay audience, only us 'fellow finger flingers' would ever consider him 'above average'... and, yeah, we MISTAKENLY would label him GREAT... due to our 'warped viewpoint.'

Al was NOT 'flawless' in his execution... but FANTASTIC with his audiences... I saw him many times, saw him on 'off nights', and even shortly before he passed away, when I could recognize that he was 'hurting'... but his AUDIENCE always loved him, and was generally ASTOUNDED by him...

You perhaps should reconsider, make this TWO 'lists', one for 'Magicians we wish we could emulate', and the other for 'Magicians that NON-Magicians LOVE'... SADLY, the two are often NOT the same !!!
Many years & Many experiences in Magic and Related Arts
lchemist
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of lchemist
With Cards has to be Rene Lavand. His shows are perfectly built.

Everything contributes to a unique experience, the lights, the music, his demeanor, his patter, his use of the pause and his flawless technique, constitutes the highest level of artistic performance.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
Bill Malone and Doc Eason need to be regarded as top close-up workers when it comes to non-magician audiences. Not to say they don't impress their peers when doing lectures or conventions because they certainly do! These two guys not only perform outstanding magic laced with top notch skill and presentation but more importantly have the type of personalities that click with their audiences. Both Doc and Bill could keep a crowd entertained even if they didn't do a single trick,something we should all consider before we book our next big gig at Hamburger World.
Zack Schaff
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Zack Schaff
I like Michael Close. He is very funny and his routines are very original, entertaining and very commercial.

-Zack
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Matthew.

I completely agree with you. A lot of hardcore sleight of hand magicians are extremely boring. Seems like all they have spent time on, is their sleight of hand. And many probably have.

There are many magicians, who aint that good in the sleight of hand area, who are awesome performers.
Doc Eason and Tommy wonder are two exsamples of that

I don't agree on Earl Nelson tho. He is sure a lot different than most performers. Im sure his audience don't laugh much during his performances. But the same could be said about Michael Skinner, who is concidered by many the greatest close-up worker of all time.

Daniel
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
I don't know about Eason but Tommy Wonder not being good at sleight of hand? I think you may not have seen Tommy wonder then. Ever see his cups and balls, the card in box etc....? If he is not good at sleight of hand then neihter was Vernon, Kaps, Skinner, Or Bill Malone, John Carney, Roger Klause etc.......
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Ok now for My favorite close up magicians.

At the very top of the list, Michael Skinner. The rest in no order.

Roger Klause, Bill Malone, John Carney, Paul Gertner, plus others.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Randy:

If you think Tommy Wonder is good at sleight of hand, you are yet to see a real good sleight of hand magician. I think everyone else would agree on that..
To compare his sleight of hand to the likes of, Skinner, Malone, carney and roger klause is crazy. They are way way above Tommy Wonder in that area.

Daniel
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Ok Maybe that is a good point. But of course for one to say either way if he is good or not is just a matter of opinion. I mayhave sounded like I had forgotten that in My original post if so I am sorry for that.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Re reading Magic Daniel's last post I think many would take issue with his saying that Wonder is not a good sleight of hand magician. Sure compare him to some others and maybe he can or can't hold up to them but I think it is a real dissservice to say Tommy wonder is not good at sleight of hand.
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
I guess it depends on how you view "sleight of hand." As Matthew the Magnificent mentioned, Earl Nelson is, technically, nearly flawless. From a presentational point of view, however, he can be a bit lackluster. I think sleight of hand is comprised of (at least) two components: mechanics and (mis)direction/timing. Tommy Wonder may not be the best mechanic, but his sense of timing, (mis)direction, and understanding of the other principles that make magic work are superb. As a result, I'd rate his sleight of hand up there with the very best.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
I completely agree with trenchant. Tommy Wonder is a wonderful, wonderful Performer. His understanding of magic theory is as good as it gets. Noone is better in that area.
But, as a pure sleight of hand magician, Tommy is far from the best. I think he would agree on that himself. If some of the names I mentioned above, is a 10 on the 1-10 scale, I would give Tommy Wonder a 6-7.

Now, magic is a lot more than sleight of hand, like Trench mentioned. Its really all about detroying a lay audience, and that Tommy Wonder does superb!

Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » My favorite close-up magicians—who's yours? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL