We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for a no gimmick hopping halves routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3372 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm looking for a no gimmicked hopping halves routine, so I would like to know what the members would recommend.
I believe Mark Jenest and Karl Andrews both have routines that might suit what I'm looking for but I would prefer to get a word of mouth recommendation, so come on guys what do you recommend.

Many thank's in advance for all replys.

warren
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
The Jenest routine does use a c/s coin so it is not really ungaffed. Very good version though.

In one of Jamy Ian Swiss's lecture books he has a routine called Hippity Cop which uses no gaffs.

I don't remember off the top of my head which booklet of his it is in. I believe it is still available through his web site.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3372 Posts

Profile of warren
I don't mind the c/s coin as I'm looking more for a routine that doesn't require a reset i.e that I can perform it group to group or table to table.

warren
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Then the Jenest routine may be what you are looking for. I do not know anything about the other one you asked about. As I said the Jenest routine is very good. I use it and Jamy's too.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Chris "Linkster" Watson has a nice no-gaff hopping half effect. I believe it's posted somewhere on this site, but if you can't find it, you might pm him and he may share with you.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Jamy Swiss's routine also appeared in Apocalypse...can't remember what issue...but it was in the early to mid 80's.

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What is the fuss putting a few coins into EG and doing the trick using the half shuttle pass?

No gaffs and easily accessible to anyone of intermediate experience.

This is the kind of trick coinmen figure out on their own after leaning Roth's Hanging Coins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
835 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
In Curtis Kam's "Deceptions in Paradise" book he has a really cool Hopping Half routine. Definitely worth taking a look at.

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3372 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks again for all of the replies. I will try and look into some of the routines mentioned. I have played with a few variations of my own, most involving the palm to palm sleight with a display at the beginning using a Goshman pinch to hide the extra coin. I'm not confident enough to use the edge grip as I'm looking for something more angle proof but thanks again for the advice.

warren
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Just to let you know it IS possible, I developed a routine with the usual gaffs which is done stand up, in front of your chest (a la 3-fly), and instant reset.
There are much roads leading to Rome...
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Just out of curiosity...why specifically no gimmicks? Don't the gimmicked versions generally look better to an audience (the ones who are supposed to count)?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27166 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Let's go through that swamp one step at a time;

Why specifically no gimmicks?
- cause when you drop a coin or hear them rattle... is embarrassing and might NOT be NECESSARY.

Don't gimmicked... to an audience?
- SOME TRICKS DO, The hopping half ] stuff usually just caters to the gimmicks and panders to inept magicians.

The sun/moon gaff can effect wonders. Just a matter of using a gaff where it counts. IE where it's the ONLY way.

Use gaffs wisely.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Always.

When I asked if the gimmicked versions don't look better to an audience, I was referring specifically to the Hopping Half effect. Whichever approach is decided upon doesn't change the fact that the Hopping Half effect is a pretty mundane one.

As for dropping or rattling them, many overlook the fact that gimmicks take just as much manual skill to handle well as any object. You don't, obviously, but many do.

My primary aim, though, was to compare how the gimmicked versus non-gimmicked approaches to any particular effect look to an audience. We have to look at these things from the other side because that's the only side that matters.
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Open traveler go re read Jonathan's post again he covered the whys of no gaffs very well.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Randy,

Go back and read my post again. I don't care about the why of gaffs versus no gaffs...I care about what the audience sees. Warren's original post asked specifically about routines with no gaffs, but didn't offer a rationale as to WHY one would have a preference over the other. To my mind, the only rationale that matters is what a no-gaffed version offers to the audience, but I sense that doesn't seem to matter much to most magicians, for some odd reason.

Mantra: In all things magic...audience first...audience first...audience first...
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Carl Andrew's No gimmicked hopping half is nice if you like the hopping half effect. I myself find it kind of boring.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3372 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm not totally against the use of a gimmick for this routine i.e a c/s coin.
The main reason against the shell version is from a reset point of view. Also because the coins used in this effect are not used in my country I would like to allow the spectators to handle the coins or at least to be able to show them very cleanly.

warren
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I've used the Jenest routine for years. The only thing for me was that I didn't like the sucker ending, so I changed it.
When I reach into my pocket to take out the "other" coin, I'm actually taking out a Chinese coin. I throw it into the hand with the C/S coin. I then show the copper coin, and then the silver. I can tap the silver onto the Chinese and they get the feel of the two coins. When the spectator says to take either copper or silver, I'm left with the Chinese coin instead of being empty-handed.
It has become one of my pet effects.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Good idea Rick.

I try not to make it a sucker effect at all really that way there is no sting of hey look what I can do and you can't.

At first I do ask what is left in the hand and when they say the copper I tell them right but this is a two coin trick so I need two coins. Etc... That way for the next two times it is not really a matter of them having to guess which coin (S) I have in My hand.

I think I got that idea from the Jamy Ian Swiss routine.

To answer the question that Jonathan already answered about the whys of gaffs.

One reason can be the sound factor. Lay people do and will notcie the odd tin sound certain gaffs make.

The routines that have been mentioned that do not use gaffs look like the original effect except fot the draw backs a gaffed set can have.

If is really a matter of preference if you use gaffs or not. As Jonathan said, use gaffs wisely. I use them from time to time but not overboard with them.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Exactly. And if you can not use a gaff without the tell tale tinny sounds then don't use a gaff. Or practise more with it just like you do with your normal coins.
The use of gaffs has had a bad reputation because magicians with insufficient technical skills think it will compensate for that. Not true. The expert use of a gaff may be in some routines even more technical challenging than without.
And here I have to agree with Open Traveller, if the overall look is the best with a gaff, then go for it!
And let the overall sound be as good as well!

I simply have never seen a so called purist who did a version of, say, coins across, which looked cleaner than a version with a [

The choice between gaffed vs. non-gaffed always seems to be from a technical viewpoint, not the strongest effect.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Looking for a no gimmick hopping halves routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL