The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Soldering Coins. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Bill's info is spot on (it usually is) . . but to solder a few coins you will not need MAPP gas (Methylacetylene-propadiene) because you will not need a flame temp. of 5300 degrees F.. . unless you plan on repairing a few battleships as well Smile

If you really do want to learn to SOLDER (not to be confused with brazing or welding) then a butane solder gas torch (flame temp up to 1300 degrees) will be fine and a lot safer. (Around $15). An inexpensive low power soldering iron will not do it. You can also find a little book "The Art of Soldering" for a few dollars. You'll have many US sources but if you want to just take a look try

http://www.hobby.uk.com

Click on products - tools - soldering products..

on balance though, I'd still go with the 2 part epoxy resin

Riley
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Soldering coins is difficult. Like Bill already said, you must have the correct solder and flux or it is useless to even try it. I have soldered coins but I now use the epoxy to do most everything. I'm not sure about the brand I use, but it comes in various types. I usually use the type with the 5 minute drying time. The longer dry time types are supposed to be stronger, but the quick dry has served me well thus far.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think I'll drill and bolt 'em together... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Radio shack has low melt solder strips. They are about$3 for a bag of 50. They will solder with one of the cheapie butane lighters or the kind that blows like a torch. Used this stuff quite a bit in slot machines and on wiring repairs and pc board add ons. I don't know about coins but if they are clean and you can get em hot, the strips should work.

Will try it tonite and get back with the results.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Hardi
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
96 Posts

Profile of Hardi
I have manufactured my own c/s. Glued coins sound dull when you shake or drop them. So I soldered my c/s with tin-solder. The coins sound perfect now.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Note: A solder gun can be used to cut polystyrine with a mod to the tool piece. very handy for modeling.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Regarding MAPP vs. Propane in soldering coins -- part of the trick on this is getting the coins to stay hot long enough to melt the solder. Coins, especially copper ones, are a big heat sink, and they will suck up heat like a sponge. A really hot flame will do the job quickly and you will be out of there in no time. But please, make sure you are aware of all of the combustibles in your work space -- even a cigarette lighter will set things afire if you misuse it.

Another disadvantage to the use of heat on coins is that it changes the appearance of your copper coins. Epoxy doesn't do that.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
When school starts I plan to ask one of the shop teachers to bond coins together.

I talked with him at the end of last semester, but never got down to his room.

He said something about extreme heating both surfaces which will keep them together much longer than super glue or sodering.

That may be the process some have mentioned above.

I get a lot of "perks" from my work in the school system. Since I do a lot of magic for the schools, it is a wonderful win/win situation.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Partizan

Do Not use this methon unless in a well ventalated area it gives of I believe arsnic gas.

Best solder is grade A approx 30%tin to lead.

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
If all else fails...try a jeweler...and ask him if he can put a pin in it for extra support.

Mike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
One other product I forgot to mention is Brownell's Acra-glas. The stuff to get is the old liquid version, not the gel. This stuff bonds with a vengeance. It's used to glassbed rifles. It bonds overnight.

J.B. Weld is cheaper. It is quite strong and can be used to repair cracked engine blocks in an emergency.

Your shop teacher may be on to something. Watch out for color changes in the metals, though.

I know Pressley Guitar used a spot welder and a reloading press. I'm not quite sure how he did that. He was a bit close to the vest with his techniques.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The solder strips work great and don't take much of the ring out of the coins. As Bill suggested, they had a blue discoloration during the peak of the heating, and kept some yellowing afterwards, that can be removed with abrasive toothpaste. I trimmed the solder strips to fit the curve of the bottom coin.(2)
Propping the second up with a third quarter, I got a perfect bond with no drips or telltale signs of solder. I overlapped 30% of each. The whole process including the cleaning was about 10 min. The coins were so hot they had to be handled with needlenose pliers and take a cold water plunge.

JB weld is the way to go if you don't work with flames.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I just bought some JB Weld for 4 bucks at Wal-Mart. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the suggestions!
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Soldering Coins. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL