The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » To what extent would you go? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Some magician friends and I were discussing this the other day. To what extent would you go to fooling people?
My view personally is that I would do anything, except stooging. I will use gaff decks, gaff cards, gimmicks, props, etc....just to fool one person. Whatever I need to fool that person. How do you guys feel about this? I know some people want to do just sleight of hand and look down on us who use gaffs. I'm curious to see what other people think.
Seth
GothicBen
View Profile
Veteran user
England
353 Posts

Profile of GothicBen
I tend to use sleight of hand, not gimmicks. Nothing against gimmicks, it's just I'm always morbid about them breaking or getting lost.

I have used the "instant stooge" principle on occasion, for small groups.

I wouldn't worry about it - use whatever it takes to fool them. Who cares if your excellent coin routine uses a sh**l or a S***. Who cares if your card trick uses a double-baker. Isn't magic all lying with the fingers anyway!

As long as you entertain and fool them, use any weapon in the magic arsenal.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I'll use gimmicks, sleights, stooges, whatever it takes!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Dolini
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Dolini
I will go to great lengths to create a magical experence. I do what Houdini use to do. He would send by mail a card or prediction to the place he was going to perform. It was sent days in advance and was not opened till the magician perform the magic.

Scott gave good advice "whatever it takes!"

Dolini Smile Smile
John O'Shea Dolan
johnosheadolan@hotmail.com
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Scott, in what way do you use stooges? Do you use stooged volunteers?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6445 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I second Scott... I'll do anything it takes to fool them. I have no problem with camera tricks or creative editing or stooges or plants or whatever. I don't get how some draw the line when they themselves use extra cards or false shuffles or other forms of trickery. Unless you are actually saying magic incantations then you shouldn't cut yourself from using anything to your advantage. To me it's like saying a juggler can only use normal objects because if he uses perfectly balanced objects then he is cheating us in his skills. How about saying filmmakers can only shoot real objects and never use computer enhanced images in their films?
Just my opinion.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have been known to, Seth, yes.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I will go all out to slay people with an effect. Using whatever method I can as deceptivly as I can. God forgive me. Lol.

I have used stooges before. But I need to choose wisely someone who will help me to the best of my benefit.

I have had some stooges make me look horribly bad. So I shy away from them when I can. Im in the middle of seth and scott on stooging.

I love using a mixture of sleights and gaffs. I mean whatever it takes, im for it.
Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » To what extent would you go? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL