The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Linking Rings for Beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stuper1
View Profile
New user
California
100 Posts

Profile of stuper1
What is a good video or book(let) to learn the linking rings?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
To be honest, probably the best place to start is with the instructions that came with your rings. They generally offer what you need to know to do a good routine.

Ninja Rings is a four ring routine that is very good, but it is not a good beginner's routine.

Tarbell has quite a bit about the rings (I'm not sure which volume)

My personal favorite is Dai Vernon's Symphony of the Rings. It's a six ring routine and is available for about $10 in a manuscript. It's not super easy to learn from the book, but it is a great routine.

The rings have been around for a long time, so there's lots to learn.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Douglas Atkinson has compiled some information about Linking Ring books, videos, and products. You can go to the Linking Rings section of his site using this Internet address:

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/maglinkr.htm

I forgot to mention that you can also do a search in the Magic Café Forums for the information that you are looking for.

There are many knowledgeable magicians who would be glad to help you on these forums.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
magiccarpet
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magiccarpet
If you can find a used copy of Marvels of Mystery by John Booth there is a good routine in it. It uses a set of eight rings.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Linking rings are notoriously difficult to learn from a book or pamphlet, even with good photos and line drawings. I love books but you really need to see the instructor. It's just so hard to put into words. I gave up describing my routine, "Liquid Rings" in writing and will eventually do a DVD.

I would strongly suggest getting the Greater Magic volume on rings. I have that and found that it is easily understood.
Shnarker
View Profile
New user
Pittsburgh, PA
89 Posts

Profile of Shnarker
I have Brad Burt's Private Lesson video of The Linking Rings. I found it to be very detailed in explanation. It's an excellent learning tool. I strongly recommend it. He still sells it (I believe) at http://www.magicshop.com .
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Tarbell has some great moves, and also the McBride dvds.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
There is a nice linking rings routine in the Dai Vernon book of magic
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
For a beginner, try the video 25 Tricks with Linking Rings. It's readily available at most magic dealers and is not very expensive. It will teach you many of the basic moves and get you started on a basic routine.

Once you have learned some of the basic moves, it will take some time to find a routine that fits your personality and style. There are many 3 ring, 4 ring, 6 ring 8 ring and even 11 ring routines out there to choose from. It's a matter of what fits you.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 09:12, The Magician wrote:
There is a nice linking rings routine in the Dai Vernon book of magic
Yes, definitely worth looking at...the book is a treasure!!
:bluebikes: Smile Smile

<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Fitzy
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
14 Posts

Profile of Fitzy
Lets not forget Jeff McBrides stage magic video teaches a great routine
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Let me chime in here a little late. There is a ton of information available for the Rings.
Look for the Dai Vernon routing which is the standard.
As stated above the McBride DVD is one of the best.
Whit Haydn has a great 4 ring version in print, or DVD.
The Jack Miller 5 ring routing is really good. A gentleman out of the NorthWest released a version of the routine on DVD that is worth looking for.
Al Koran's 3 ring routing is good in print, or DVD.
Stevens' offers a Ring "teach in" DVD with some very good material, including the Al Koran routine.
The book "Rings in you Fingers" by Fitzkee is the best book out there.
Tarbell offers good material.
"Blackstone's Secrets of Magic" also has a good 8 ring routine.
Like all the classics the Linking Rings teaches good magic principals. You can do it with patter, silent, music, on stage, close up, the street, and just about any where.
Good luck
Professor J. P. Fawkes
FuDD
View Profile
Regular user
Tucson, Az.
150 Posts

Profile of FuDD
Does anyone know a bit about the ninja rings and Shoot Ogawas video on them? I like the fact that they seem to lend them selves to more intamite close up work witch is something I enjoy worjking on (close -up) that is maybe one day I could/would do larger versions for stage but I first (in my opinion) need to get comftorbale working around 1-2 strangers lewt alone 100.
Tank you kindly,
Fudd
may you be filled with loving kindness
http://www.williamsmagic.com
http://www.celebratemagic.com
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
The ninja rings is a great routine. The rings are just a smaller set of standard linking rings.
The routine does take a lot of practice to do, especially the reverse crash link.
It will be worth the effort if you take the time to learn it.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
madmaxa
View Profile
New user
Serbia and Montenegro
61 Posts

Profile of madmaxa
I can give you an advice. Start with four rings only, and I don’t mean only while practicing, but also performing. Four rings are quite enough to entertain the people and not complicated since you can do just a few routines with four rings. Don’t forget that linking rings are still one of biggest mysteries for audience, and they will be more than happy to see it in your act. Three questions people ask me at 90% of time:
1. Did you sow that guy (Copperfield) that goes through the wall?
2. Can you produce a rabbit from a hat?
3. How does the magician link those rings together, and then separate them, and I cannot?
Trust me. Four rings only for start, until you get enough confidence. And if you can find a smaller than usual rings, this can be perfect for any occasion!
Life Coaching and Covert Hypnosis Coaching in Serbian or English language.
Serbian website: http://www.newera.co.rs/
johnwolfe
View Profile
New user
gettysburg, PA
48 Posts

Profile of johnwolfe
The only routine I use is David Ginn's Comedy Linking Rings. There are no difficult moves, but the routine is very entertaining to the audience, has great audience participation and makes them laugh. I like the routine because it fits my style of presentation.

Remember that once you have shown the audience that you can link and unlink the rings, the rest is really just a repeat of what they know you can already accomplish and can therefore be an anticlimax.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Linking Rings for Beginner (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL