The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » $100 bill switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jbmagic12250
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of jbmagic12250
I finally found a thumbtip big enough for my thumb. (XXL Vernet)I have an old booklet on the $100 bill switch by Mike Kozlowski dated 1977. Does anyone have anything that might be better or different that they can recommend?
Thanks
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a look at the Ron Bauer offering on bill switching. Comes with three presentations and teaches the switch in context. thinklikeaconjuror.com
...to all the coins I've dropped here
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Richard Sander's goes pretty indepth with bill switches in his Visibill video from what I understand and I've seen some of his routines in person which were very good. Ammar offers a very nice handling and a few touches on the Kozlowski switch in his book, The Magic of Michael Ammar, and I believe Ammar has a Classic Renditions video on this effect alone. John Cornelius teaches it in his book, "The Award Winning Magic of John Cornelius" but does not offer anything new to the subject...just a review to do some routines in his book.
Paul h.
View Profile
Special user
MINDoverMETHOD
528 Posts

Profile of Paul h.
I like, and have used to great success, Kevin King's Money Morph version. His handling is quicker and more logical.

Check this one out for a tt version!

Paul h.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5732 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Of all of the ones on video, I like the one by Jarle Leirpoll in his video, "Pocket Power". To me, the ones that don't use a tip are so much smoother and easier to do. I do my own version and I just won't go back to using a tip.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Hi all,

The tipless version is also taught in the Kozlowski manuscript.

John Lovick has a book, published by Murphy's, that is due out soon. Supposed to be a "huge" volume with everything you would ever want to know.

Regards,

Paul Green
Hardi
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
96 Posts

Profile of Hardi
Apart from the Jarle Leirpoll version without a gimmick, which is excellent, here some of the many published non-gimmick versions:
"Doug Edwards Packs A Wallop" by Harry Lorayne. Check "It´s all an Illusion"
DVD "REGAL ENQUIRER, Volume 2, More Tricks" by David Regal. Check "20$ bill to 100$ and Return"
"Mastering the Art of Magic - Collected Writings" by Eugene Burger. Check "Slow-Motion Bill Change" page 193, 201.
"ANNEMANN - The Life and Times of a Legend" by Max Abrams, page 390
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
There's a really good slow motion bill switch on magicproshop. I think by eugene someone Smile
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
Richard Sander's Visi-Bill is the way to go.
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Visi-bill is visually startling, but the quality of the reaction is different. The standard bill change with the TT is more mysterious and affects the audience more deeply. Although it's not a visible change, well done, it's much more magical.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I may be prejudiced, but I would have to reccommend Ron Bauer's Private Studies Series, # 12. It's called "Paul Chosse's Bar Bill Stunt"...

Best, PSC

PS There is a LENGTHY thread in the Secret Sessions on an alternate presentation for the bill switch. It is about a year old, so you may have to search some to find it...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1485 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
I learned the classical bill switch (with TT, which is the best version, IMO) in the "classic renditions" from Michael Ammar which is devoted to that move. He goes really into the details of the move.
Jonathan.
el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
Quote:
On 2004-07-29 15:59, Open Traveller wrote:
Visi-bill is visually startling, but the quality of the reaction is different. The standard bill change with the TT is more mysterious and affects the audience more deeply. Although it's not a visible change, well done, it's much more magical.

That's an interesting point. I have never thought of that. Why is that so, you think? I would have guessed the reactions would be better when the bill changes visibly in front of the spectators, instead of changing while folding and unfolding.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

I believe it's specifically BECAUSE the bill changes visibly.

Sanders' effect seems conceptually based on "Checque" from Roger Klause: In Concert, but even there, the move is described as being done with one very quick up and down motion rather than several up and down shakes of the hand.

Even so, what this allows is for the spectator to pinpoint the moment the magic happened. Sometimes this is okay (as in when we point it up to them), and sometimes it hurts things. I believe that in this case we sacrifice part of the mystery for the shock of visualness.

With the standard bill transformations, the bill is folded and unfolded and it changes, but there is no moment that the spectator can identify as to "when" the change took place. The mystery is heightened. The intellect is challenged to a greater degree. The quality of the reactions are different. If it's done well, it looks ONLY like the bill is slowly folded and then unfolded, and there's no point that the spectator can say, "Ah, ha! THAT'S when it happened!" One less piece of information -- one greater degree of mystery.

In addition, it's generally true that the "quiet" is more mysterious. Shaking the hand up and down is a "noisy" action (not noisy as in it produces actual sound, but as in it produces visual static). Merely folding the bill and unfolding it is a quiet procedure -- it's slow and deliberate, and it's less able to be challenged by the spectator as being unfair.

It's going to come down to a matter of preference. All I can say is that in my experience, the reactions from something like Visi-Bill or "Checque" are good but definitely not in the same arena as the Bill Change.

As a side note, between the two, I think "Checque" is better than Visi-Bill. Even though you fold the item smaller in "Checque," if you're going to do some kind of transformation like this, I've found it better to use two contrasting objects, like changing a check into money rather than one bill to another. I used to do it with tissue paper to pretty good effect. Regardless, I feel it's important to give the object (as described in the Klause book) only one quick shake up and down rather than shaking the item for several moments. The less visual noise, the better.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
My vote goes to Kevin King's 'Money Morph'.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
el toro
View Profile
Veteran user
Across the atlantic
325 Posts

Profile of el toro
Thanks for your thoughts "open traveller". I think you're right. I'll go back to the old bill-switch.
MischiefMagicX
View Profile
New user
Albany, NY
48 Posts

Profile of MischiefMagicX
I'd have to agree with taliesin. I learned and perform a $100 bill switch using what I learned from Kevin King's Money Morph. It is inexpensive and looks amazing.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary..."
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-08-01 04:58, el toro wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts "open traveller". I think you're right. I'll go back to the old bill-switch.

Well, don't commit yourself. See what results you get and base your decision on that. It's always the case that your mileage may vary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » $100 bill switch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL