The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Additional ending(s) to David Roth's "Hanging Coins" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Ramsey's "Three Coins in the Hat" is in the "Ramsey Legend" book. All of the Ramsey books are worth studying.

Dan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I suggest working from the primary sources. In this case the galloway books or the tapes.

John Carney does a good job at getting through the tricks. If he did them 'in character'... would be absolutely amazing.

The Ramsay tricks DEPEND on the character of the performer to motivate the actions. You have to put your personality in front of the tricks. The character of the performer motivates the feints, and the feints allow the methods to go by quietly.

At least on the tapes, Galloway seems a bit bland and distant.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have an extra copy of The Ramsay Legend.
I was going to sell it on ebay but I'm not.

The effects in the book are very strong and well thought out.

If someone want's it, make me an offer.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
I think the idea of "ending" in general points to one of the typical problems with coin magic (in both my own coin work and others)....seeing coins as packet tricks (where you take the props out, let them do "their" trick, and then put the props away) rather than sequences that are part of a larger animal--a living, breathing routine.

On the issue of hanging coins and routining, I would suggest checking out Cointopia and the handling of a David Stone routine called "Rolling Stone." It amounts to a production, a version of hanging coins, followed by a flury routine (since you have one coin left, right?), followed by a reproduction of the coins. I know that the hanging and the flury work (i.e. convince the audience of vanishes and then singularity) because, when I finally reproduce the second coin (and 3rd and 4th), at least a few members of my audience gasp. Since I usually do this trick at every table, that's a lot of gasping. I like to assume that the rest are too dumbfounded to breathe, but that might be my wishful thinking......
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Interesting... that implies you could start your performance by asking the folks at the table if they've seen your coins. Then proceed to find then under plates and stuff.

At end... the coins fade away... and you have to go looking again... elsewhere.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Nathan,
You’ve hit upon the explanation used in my routine
”Government Waste”, the script Curtis was referring to from Tubthumping.

Actually, Tubthumping contains two different scripts for explaining the fact that the last coin doesn’t vanish. The other can be found on page 31 in “From Twilight To Hanging Coins”

Working out reasons why the last coin didn't vanish turned out to be more useful than finding a way to make them go...
superhiro
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of superhiro
I got David Roth's dvd today and after watching it was glad that I did get it.

I do agree that the ending to Hanging coins isn't as good as I expected. It does make sense but after I get used to performing it I think I might end up changing the ending.

Hiro
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Additional ending(s) to David Roth's "Hanging Coins" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL